Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 07-08-2012, 07:21 PM   #31
MURDR
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: How can I improve my footwork and stance? (video)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap View Post
You are not a natural Southpaw, I would suggest.
Yeah, I'm a lefty.
MURDR is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2012, 07:24 PM   #32
MURDR
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ero_Sennin View Post
What is work rest ratio for aerobic interval training for a beginner? What is anaerobic endurance and aerobic endurance and how does each one get conditioned and trained in boxing for maximum effectiveness to maintain proper technique, movement, and punching power without gassing yourself?

Those are very easy questions to answer for somebody who supposedly knows about working out. I'm not on the "weightlifting isn't for boxers" wagon either, but I guarantee you that very little of the weightlifting exercises you did in high school are going to transfer really well into boxing. Interval training, calisthenics, and heavy cardio will give you much more then a big deadlift, squat or bench for boxing. Weight training is not at all traditional for combat sports and it focuses on a lot different philosophy of training for fighting then what a normal high school would probably expose you to.
Honestly, I don't know much about boxing, but I've been weightlifting for a while. I can safely say that "functional strength" is non-existent and is a bullshit marketing scheme. Yes, obvious having more fast-twitch muscle fibers is essential in sports, but the notion that you need to train specific movements for each sport is false (i.e. shadowboxing with DBs). Like I said, not trying to sound ****y or like a know-it-all, but a big deadlift, squat, and power clean can definitely transfer well to boxing.

I really don't want to get into this argument though, I want to stay on my current weightlifting routine.
MURDR is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2012, 07:47 PM   #33
Ero_Sennin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MURDR View Post
Honestly, I don't know much about boxing, but I've been weightlifting for a while. I can safely say that "functional strength" is non-existent and is a bullshit marketing scheme. Yes, obvious having more fast-twitch muscle fibers is essential in sports, but the notion that you need to train specific movements for each sport is false (i.e. shadowboxing with DBs). Like I said, not trying to sound ****y or like a know-it-all, but a big deadlift, squat, and power clean can definitely transfer well to boxing.

I really don't want to get into this argument though, I want to stay on my current weightlifting routine.
It's not an argument MURDR. There are facts backed up with tons of scientific evidence for starters. That doesn't make for an argument, that makes for right and wrong when it comes to training. Some people get it from years of training on their own, some get it from somebody teaching them, and some get it from research. The guy at the end of the line of success is usually the one who tries to figure it out on his own. It would be different if it were just weight training, but combat sports are entirely different. Hell man, different combat sports have different ways to best train. An MMA fighter is in a completely different sort of physical fitness then a boxer!

You can take my word for it or you can start asking people who train others, stop by T-nation.com and look up articles about training for combat sports, or order some educational material on fitness and figure things out yourself. I'm telling you that your lack of knowledge in training for boxing, doubled by your lack of having anybody to train you, is going to knock you on your ass if you ever decide to compete or even spar in a legit boxing gym. You don't know anything to say it frankly.

But that's ok man. Not everyone starts out an expert. I learn every day and I started thinking weightlifting would get me through everything too when I was younger. Then I went to a BJJ gym weighing 240, deadlifting 550lbs for reps of 6, squatting 500, benching about 280 and hang cleaning 225lbs for sets of 5 and getting my ass handed to me by guys that weighed 120 lbs until I learned to relax and not learn to rely on my strength for everything. Fighting is a whole different game then the weight room and the weights will only take you so far.

I'm still strong as hell and the only thing it has helped me with in boxing is pushing somebody off of me in the clinch. Sure I hit hard because of it, but it doesn't help you in the second half of the first round of a sparring match with somebody dancing around you and you're exhausted from trying to wail on them and can't utilize that strength anymore. It's a fine balance and with what you've been saying about your fitness so far it's apparent that you're not well versed in how to train for boxing, as well as admitting it yourself.
Ero_Sennin is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2012, 08:23 PM   #34
MURDR
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Alright.

Anyways, I'm still working on my footwork, and hope that I can get it right sooner rather than later.
MURDR is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2012, 08:35 PM   #35
bck620
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Op- u are getting good advice here. Some of it may sting, but boxing is an unnatural sport. I think if you lost some weight u will become lighter on your feet also. Continue jumping rope everyday if your knees can take it. Watch that Russ Anbar video over and over. Use Craigslist and find out if there are any current or former boxers in your area. You never know how you my find. They might be able to train you on the basics. I saw some promise in some of those right hooks. A very lethal punch if developed properly!
bck620 is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2012, 08:46 PM   #36
MURDR
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

^I would lose weight, but I also still play football, so I gotta keep it up for the position I play.
MURDR is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2012, 09:01 PM   #37
TVLPC
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bam-bam View Post
Go to a boxing gym
Yeah, this is simple but good advice. There is no way to train yourself for this sport. Since you played football is comparable to having somebody draw up a play on a chalkboard and then teaching yourself the blocking assignment, techniques, and so forth without guidance.

In watching the video its pretty decent for somebody who doesn't have feedback except from us folks over an internet forum, half of whom themselves have never been to a real boxing gym.

As for conditioning, you will rarely hear a combat athlete say they lost because they didn't lift enough weights or weren't strong enough, but the phrase "gas out" is used often. Ero Sennin gave some good advice. I have found T-Nation to be subpar with articles related to cardiovascular conditioning and overall info on this topic. I'm not sure about strength or muscle building related topics.

I have found Lyle McDonald and Joel Jamieson(more geared towards combat sports) to be some of the best info on training for sports in general. Joel Jamieson wrote a book I have called Ultimate MMA Conditioning. It is very good and explains energy systems, block training schemes, and really puts the importance of the aerobic energy system into perspective.

Good luck!
TVLPC is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2012, 09:03 PM   #38
TVLPC
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MURDR View Post
^I would lose weight, but I also still play football, so I gotta keep it up for the position I play.
Oh, didn't see this, probably boxing at this point should take a backseat. Kinda hard to train for both simultaneously.
TVLPC is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2012, 09:17 PM   #39
Ero_Sennin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVLPC View Post

As for conditioning, you will rarely hear a combat athlete say they lost because they didn't lift enough weights or weren't strong enough, but the phrase "gas out" is used often.[] I have found T-Nation to be subpar with articles related to cardiovascular conditioning and overall info on this topic. I'm not sure about strength or muscle building related topics.

I have found Lyle McDonald and Joel Jamieson(more geared towards combat sports) to be some of the best info on training for sports in general. Joel Jamieson wrote a book I have called Ultimate MMA Conditioning. It is very good and explains energy systems, block training schemes, and really puts the importance of the aerobic energy system into perspective.
T-nation is definitely subpar with anything to do with cardiovascular training. They have a few good articles and training methods for combat athletes though. Come to think of it I never really go there anymore to figure out any training and rarely read any of the articles anymore. I think I only go there for that link at the bottom for the figure competitors! Maybe that wasn't the best site to recommend : P.

Unless of course you want to click on that link and see some pretty damn hot women.
Ero_Sennin is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2012, 09:40 PM   #40
MURDR
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

^Most of the articles I look at are from bodybuilding.com. Lots of powerlifters, athletes, and even fighters there.
MURDR is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2012, 09:43 PM   #41
vibit
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 920

Yea, if you just want to watch vids then I'd recommend watching the entire series from Russ Anber, plus there's one from Freddie Roach, Jeff Fenech, and Kenny Weldon.

They cover basic stance, footwork, and punch techniques. Also some techniques and conditioning drills. Some are on youtube, some are on torrent, but all are available on amazon for purchase.

Stay away from Expert Village videos on youtube (stupid village I call them). Almost all are a complete waste of time.
vibit is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2012, 10:05 PM   #42
MURDR
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

^Yeah, I ALWAYS skip videos that are from there. HORRIBLE so-called "experts".
MURDR is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2012, 11:23 PM   #43
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 202

Dude tbh you need to sort your priorities and be honest w/ yourself about how far you want to go.

You can't box if you insist on keeping unnecessary fat weight (for boxing).

You cannot "learn" a damn thing until you've been in the ring.

A man cannot worship two masters. A house divided against itself cannot stand. You cannot successfully do both competitive football and competitive boxing.

You can get to some gym, somewhere, at least once a month to spar.

Network, look around for folks who are boxers or former boxers. Even a 12yr old kid with one amateur fight can teach you something.

You need actual rehab for your injuries. They'll limit you severely.

Your style of training--lifting, 1 punch every ten seconds bagwork, etc--will get you murdered. A guy your size who isn't fat and spends time on sprints and conditioning and throws combos all round would destroy you, and he wouldn't even have to be any good at all.

It's fun to get high and watch your videos. If you insist on training yourself, maybe you should get high and watch your own videos? You might notice stuff you're currently blind to. All the great pros did this, and that's definitely why fighters who we have on film are better than the ones that fought in the 1800s. They never saw themselves fight. Think about that, grasshopper.
KillSomething is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2012, 04:00 AM   #44
r1p00pk
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 253

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillSomething View Post
Dude tbh you need to sort your priorities and be honest w/ yourself about how far you want to go.

You can't box if you insist on keeping unnecessary fat weight (for boxing).

You cannot "learn" a damn thing until you've been in the ring.

A man cannot worship two masters. A house divided against itself cannot stand. You cannot successfully do both competitive football and competitive boxing.

You can get to some gym, somewhere, at least once a month to spar.

Network, look around for folks who are boxers or former boxers. Even a 12yr old kid with one amateur fight can teach you something.

You need actual rehab for your injuries. They'll limit you severely.

Your style of training--lifting, 1 punch every ten seconds bagwork, etc--will get you murdered. A guy your size who isn't fat and spends time on sprints and conditioning and throws combos all round would destroy you, and he wouldn't even have to be any good at all.

It's fun to get high and watch your videos. If you insist on training yourself, maybe you should get high and watch your own videos? You might notice stuff you're currently blind to. All the great pros did this, and that's definitely why fighters who we have on film are better than the ones that fought in the 1800s. They never saw themselves fight. Think about that, grasshopper.
Everything you said was perfect except..I'm sorry but did you just tell the op to get high? As in

To the op Its a whole different sport when you get into boxing. The strain is much different from lifting weights. You think you can handle it but the reality is, its exhausting, you take a physical beating, your body gets real sore. Take it from a guy who's been healthy for a while and has good stamina. Its better if you took the time to build your stamina than "train" on your own.

All the explosiveness you built from lifting disappears once your muscles fatigue and your out of breath. I'm sure there's a boxing gym in your area you just might have to drive an hour or two. I hear stories on how guys would have to drive a whole hour to get to there gym. I used to have to take two buses to the gym and back home which took a whole hour for me to get to and another hour home even worse, I had to walk the last quarter home because the stop wasn't that near from my place. It all depends on how bad you want it.
r1p00pk is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2012, 08:27 AM   #45
MURDR
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

^I used to drive and hour and a half each way for my old gym. But now, that gym is 5 1/2 hours away, and there aren't any gyms (besides the BS one mentioned above) within like 2-3 hours. I can't look for gyms further, because I only have limited times between my college classes.

And I appreciate all the help, I really do, I just don't want to talk about my training routine. I'd rather just focus on improving my poor technique.
MURDR is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing