Dan Henderson 2 1.90%
Other 3 2.86%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-08-2012, 05:26 PM   #61
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166
Default Re: Who is the greatest MMA fighter ever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmie View Post
Silva has 5 wins over Champions since he joined the UFC. Id hardly call that a can crusher. Who was Silva's weakest opponet ? Probably Patrick Cote which isnt that bad at all. Fedor ? I can name like 6-7 cans he fought in his "incredible reign"
That need to be said too....I think Fedor is the GOAT but you are spot on here.....
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2012, 05:34 PM   #62
thanosone
I Am Eternal
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Saku gets no love. Dude was like 170 fighting ****ing HW/LHW. He was incredible. Some better boxing and he would have easily been the GOAT.
thanosone is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2012, 12:09 AM   #63
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
Artur Grigorian defended his WBO belt in boxing at least 18 or 19 times if i recall. If the bench mark for greatness was just defending belts you'd have a point. In addition the fact he is older than Fedor is thoroughly academic. That's the kind of empty reasoning children make.
A fighters greatness is defined upon who he beat, when he beat them, how he beat them, the competition in his era, and the length of his run. Whether you like it or not NO FIGHTER past or present comes close to Fedor's run or destruction against TOP ATG opposition in their prime. And yet you are salivating over Silva's victory over a guy who is nothing more than a journeyman. Sonnen is a guy that has a loss to Terry Martin. That tells us all we need to know about his level. But you want to relegate Fedor's greatness in favor of a routine defence over a tin can with a big mouth?
Yeah you're right Bye.
Much as you'd like to pretend it isn't so, Fedor's era didn't end in 2006. He was in his athletic prime in the last half of that decade, the sport's visibility was exploding in leaps and bounds all around him, and he was fighting cans and resting on his laurels.

Silva grabbed the belt in the top organization, fought whoever they threw at him and never relinquished the gold. Fedor did everything he could to stay away from the UFC, preferring to handpick his opponents. When he was being introduced in the Werdum fight he was still considered the #1 fighter in the world. Two minutes later he's past his prime, he's being stopped by the first decent opposition he's faced in years, and he can't beat anyone with a pulse.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2012, 12:18 AM   #64
BobDigi5060
East Side MMA
East Side Guru

vCash: 553

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post
Much as you'd like to pretend it isn't so, Fedor's era didn't end in 2006. He was in his athletic prime in the last half of that decade, the sport's visibility was exploding in leaps and bounds all around him, and he was fighting cans and resting on his laurels.

Silva grabbed the belt in the top organization, fought whoever they threw at him and never relinquished the gold. Fedor did everything he could to stay away from the UFC, preferring to handpick his opponents. When he was being introduced in the Werdum fight he was still considered the #1 fighter in the world. Two minutes later he's past his prime, he's being stopped by the first decent opposition he's faced in years, and he can't beat anyone with a pulse.

BobDigi5060 is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2012, 12:57 AM   #65
outtieDrake
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
Artur Grigorian defended his WBO belt in boxing at least 18 or 19 times if i recall. If the bench mark for greatness was just defending belts you'd have a point. In addition the fact he is older than Fedor is thoroughly academic. That's the kind of empty reasoning children make.
A fighters greatness is defined upon who he beat, when he beat them, how he beat them, the competition in his era, and the length of his run. Whether you like it or not NO FIGHTER past or present comes close to Fedor's run or destruction against TOP ATG opposition in their prime. And yet you are salivating over Silva's victory over a guy who is nothing more than a journeyman. Sonnen is a guy that has a loss to Terry Martin. That tells us all we need to know about his level. But you want to relegate Fedor's greatness in favor of a routine defence over a tin can with a big mouth?
Yeah you're right Bye.
wbo is and always have been a paper title created in the late 80s in Puerto rico.
look the top title defenders of the WBC title ALI(19x) Holmes(16) who could argue that?

You cant replace youth and reflexes.Anderson is doing close to guys like James Toney and B-hop do, you know great fighters .

"A fighters greatness is defined upon who he beat" so James "buster" Douglas is on your top list too ?

Fedor's run took place by an organization run by the Yakuza and ex promoters of pro wrestling.Hell watch Coleman/Takada. Good majority of those guys weren't even tested for the juice.

btw its hilarious how much you think sonnen is a bum now after "salivating" his nuts for a whole year.i never wanted this rematch to happen, you did if i remember.
outtieDrake is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2012, 10:50 AM   #66
don owens
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Fedor, always.
don owens is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2012, 11:08 AM   #67
Big T
Contender
ESB Senior Member

The top two are hard.
Fedor and Silva are close. Look at the fighter they both beat in their prime are great. Both have bad Losses. In AS it was early..with Fedor it was late...I go with Fedor but not via a lot at all. Both are ATG so unless your a tool that listen to what Daddy Dana says..you know both where and are great.
Big T is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2012, 12:16 PM   #68
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by outtieDrake View Post
wbo is and always have been a paper title created in the late 80s in Puerto rico.
look the top title defenders of the WBC title ALI(19x) Holmes(16) who could argue that?

You cant replace youth and reflexes.Anderson is doing close to guys like James Toney and B-hop do, you know great fighters .

"A fighters greatness is defined upon who he beat" so James "buster" Douglas is on your top list too ?

Fedor's run took place by an organization run by the Yakuza and ex promoters of pro wrestling.Hell watch Coleman/Takada. Good majority of those guys weren't even tested for the juice.

btw its hilarious how much you think sonnen is a bum now after "salivating" his nuts for a whole year.i never wanted this rematch to happen, you did if i remember.
First off stop talking crap. Sonnen is a bum point blank point simple. Additionally if you can find A SINGLE post where i have EVER called for a Sonnen Silva rematch id be happy to never log into this forum again. So don't make lies up to back up what is blatantly a deceitful statement.

And as i expected you thoroughly missed the/my point. The illustration was to show to you how your association of 'title' defences is naive.
As for your point apart the Yakuza that is totally irrelevant and a misnomer. If you didn't notice Zuffa is run by a Mafia family.
Additionally MMA has its roots in Pro-Wrestling of which many 'stars' in the sport have been made. I take it you didn't have any problem when Brock was champ right? What about Ken Shamrock a pioneer in MMA? What about Mark Coleman, Sakuraba, Josh Barnett or Randleman?
And not tested for juice? REALLY DUDE? REEEAALLY? I can reel off about 20 names off the top of my head in the UFC that were found to be on juice. It's pretty obvious the testing (if you can even call it that) is bullshit. Its just a tick box.
**** it even the boss Dana and Lorenzo -of which Dana has OPENLY admitted he's on gear- have been popping them like skittles. You think Lorenzo got those guns down at his local health club? Either way none of this matters.
The point is a simple one here, you're assumption in respect of Fedor's title defences vs Silva's is just empty rhetoric.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #69
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post

Because i said it ended in 2006 right?
Yup AA and Sylvia two former UFC champs and world ranked in the top 10 by independent organisations were tin cans. O yea those fights didn't happen in 06 either did they. What about Rogers another top 10 ranked opponent? O yeah relegated to can status by a poster who didn't even know what Affliction was two minutes ago.
You're quick to highlight Fedor's refusal to work with the UFC which was entirely reciprocal. The reality is that was a business decision. Fedor was worth millions after the UFC and was offered more money to fight elsewhere. Turns out he took it. In addition the best comp at heavy WAS NOT in the UFC at that time. SF started their GP and the best heavys were there.
In addition Dana and the UFC purposely nixed his intended bout with Couture because Couture had a contractual dispute with the UFC over salary. Meanwhile Fedor Barnett was nixed because Barnett failed a drugs test and Affliction folded. These were the biggest and most significant bouts that fans were calling for AT THAT TIME. Subsequently Fedor lost 2 fights in the GP the BEST heavyweight tourny at the time, then Henderson. Fought a few former names/UFC contenders and retired. THOSE ARE THE FACTS. Not disingenuous UFC fan boy, Monday morning QB crap that you habitually pedal.
Do me a favour and reply to me when you actually know something about this sport. Other wise shut yer beak.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2012, 01:59 PM   #70
Travis Fulton
The Ironman
ESB Jr Member

Other :
Travis Fulton
he has all the records
Travis Fulton is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2012, 02:06 PM   #71
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

vCash: 816

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
turbotime is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2012, 02:15 PM   #72
Beouche
Dinamita
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotime View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Greatest fighter with longest layoff period?

He's in with a shout
Beouche is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2012, 02:25 PM   #73
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

vCash: 816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beouche View Post
Greatest fighter with longest layoff period?

He's in with a shout
He had surgery, even before Silva's big W GSP was already greater.
turbotime is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2012, 02:49 PM   #74
Beouche
Dinamita
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotime View Post
He had surgery, even before Silva's big W GSP was already greater.

what big W was that?
Beouche is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2012, 02:50 PM   #75
Beouche
Dinamita
East Side Guru

what are your reasons GSP should be above a long time campaigner like Silva?

im open to being convinced, but im highly doubtful
Beouche is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum