Old 07-10-2012, 02:38 AM   #17
billy nelson
the fighting scots gym
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Mathews given world title shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxingAnalyst View Post
Crolla jabbed Matthews head off for the first few rounds, absolutely dominated him until Derry caught him.
If Derrys happy to fight on thats all that matters ,very brave performance on saturday and the guys a credit to himself and boxing!
billy nelson is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2012, 03:16 AM   #18
Lilo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

@Billy Nelson

It's interesting that you often work in Gavin Rees' corner given that he is a domestic rival, in the same division as your star fighter. He's obviously a potential opponent too; is that fight possible?

Do you actually have any input in training or is it just on fight night? You seemed to be doing a lot of talking in the fight which Lockett didn't seemed to arsed about yet I remember you bollocking Dean Powell a while back

Its great for Team Rees if the Burns fight was impossible to make but it seems weird as its potentially a unification fight next year!

What about Derry Mathews vs Scott Harrison? That'd be a good fight and real good test to see exactly what Harrison has left.
Lilo is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2012, 03:32 AM   #19
billy nelson
the fighting scots gym
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilo View Post
@Billy Nelson

It's interesting that you often work in Gavin Rees' corner given that he is a domestic rival, in the same division as your star fighter. He's obviously a potential opponent too; is that fight possible?

Do you actually have any input in training or is it just on fight night? You seemed to be doing a lot of talking in the fight which Lockett didn't seemed to arsed about yet I remember you bollocking Dean Powell a while back

Its great for Team Rees if the Burns fight was impossible to make but it seems weird as its potentially a unification fight next year!

What about Derry Mathews vs Scott Harrison? That'd be a good fight and real good test to see exactly what Harrison has left.
Gary Locket and myself are good mates and he and Gavin asked me to work the cuts on fight nights,Gary is a class guy and imo will become a great coach he has told me if i see anything just tell Gavin in between the rounds.
If a fight were to happen between the two it happens until such times im more than happy to help gary and gavin out.
I have never bollocked Dean Powell in the corner,some fighters dont like being shouted at and Ricky is one of them.
billy nelson is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2012, 03:39 AM   #20
Lilo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy nelson View Post
Gary Locket and myself are good mates and he and Gavin asked me to work the cuts on fight nights,Gary is a class guy and imo will become a great coach he has told me if i see anything just tell Gavin in between the rounds.
If a fight were to happen between the two it happens until such times im more than happy to help gary and gavin out.
I have never bollocked Dean Powell in the corner,some fighters dont like being shouted at and Ricky is one of them.
I suppose its a smart move in that Rees gets an experienced trainer alongside his own in the corner. Its obviously working.

Can't remember which fight it was but I could swear that you told him to shut up or something

Say Rees gets Richard Abril next - does he win, yes or no?
Lilo is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2012, 05:43 AM   #21
a.irwin85
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

id love to see a derry v crolla rematch meself to be honest!! big derry fan he's just an out and out warrior!! never gives in and is willing to fight even though he may be getting well beat!!
a.irwin85 is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2012, 05:53 AM   #22
JFT96
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilo View Post
I'm probably a bit harsh on Mathews on here. He seems a real genuine bloke, giving it his all, got a big heart and all that.

But I think he has too be realistic here; he's just not Euro level. He's at least one level below John Murray and Gavin Rees. IMO Fana stops him too.

Let's not get carried away with the Crolla win; Crolla should probably be at SFW and wasn't a very strong British champ in fairness. It was a good, against the odds win and credit for how he did it but I just don't think he can do that to John Murray. (This is of course with hindsight )

I know he's not at the level of Froch but he's taken on a lot of tough fighters who are better than him, in a very short space of time. Fair play to him. Let's be realistic again though, he's getting stopped pretty often too.

He could definitely pick up the British belt again, which would be a fantastic achievement in itself but should stay away from Fana and Murray, for sure.
Admit it though, you were wrong to say that Rees was miles ahead of Derry and that the fight would not be competitive. He certainly proved that he deserved to be in the ring with Rees, although unfortunately the age old problem of his resistance was his downfall. I stick to my view that skill-wise they are on a par; regarding Murray, skill wise I'd put Derry ahead of John Murray.

However, I'm aware boxing isn't only about your own punches but absorbing others and unfortunately that's where Derry falls short. Rees will move on in levels and fair play to him, whereas Derry will always be held back because of the fact he gets hurt too easily. However, I think his efforts since he has came back show that, despite his chin, he can more than mix with boxers at domestic level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxingAnalyst View Post
Crolla jabbed Matthews head off for the first few rounds, absolutely dominated him until Derry caught him.
That's a load of rubbish, neither man dominated that fight. Derry was arguably ahead at the time of the stoppage
JFT96 is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2012, 06:34 AM   #23
Tony Bellew
Belt holder
ESB Addict

It said IBF in my paper, either way Derry proved he has loads to give and is a European if not world class fighter, remember Gavin has been a world champion and Derry took him to the wire.. Both put on a spectacle and I hope they both go onto bigger and better now..
Tony Bellew is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2012, 07:01 AM   #24
Macky
Belt holder
ESB Addict

get him back in there with Crolla, it will only be 1 result and Derry knows it. Was a disgraceful stoppage and Derry was knackered with the body shots. I think Crolla would have stopped him in the next 2 rounds. Be a man Derry! get back in there with Crolla!!
Macky is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2012, 07:56 AM   #25
JFT96
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky View Post
get him back in there with Crolla, it will only be 1 result and Derry knows it. Was a disgraceful stoppage and Derry was knackered with the body shots. I think Crolla would have stopped him in the next 2 rounds. Be a man Derry! get back in there with Crolla!!

Get over it, Mathews had as much success as Crolla and put him down don't forget. To say, "it will only be 1 result" is pretty pathetic really
JFT96 is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2012, 08:09 AM   #26
SteelTownCobra
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 100

Quote:
Get Anthony's balls out your mouth.
SteelTownCobra is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2012, 09:29 AM   #27
davidgaye

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTownCobra View Post
Get Anthony's balls out your mouth.
davidgaye is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2012, 09:59 AM   #28
BoxingAnalyst
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFT96 View Post
Admit it though, you were wrong to say that Rees was miles ahead of Derry and that the fight would not be competitive. He certainly proved that he deserved to be in the ring with Rees, although unfortunately the age old problem of his resistance was his downfall. I stick to my view that skill-wise they are on a par; regarding Murray, skill wise I'd put Derry ahead of John Murray.

However, I'm aware boxing isn't only about your own punches but absorbing others and unfortunately that's where Derry falls short. Rees will move on in levels and fair play to him, whereas Derry will always be held back because of the fact he gets hurt too easily. However, I think his efforts since he has came back show that, despite his chin, he can more than mix with boxers at domestic level.

That's a load of rubbish, neither man dominated that fight. Derry was arguably ahead at the time of the stoppage
You are clearly biased towards Derry if you think he didn't get dominated in the first two rounds mate, I had Crolla a few ahead, but when did I say Crolla dominated the whole fight? Just the first few rounds
BoxingAnalyst is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2012, 10:00 AM   #29
BoxingAnalyst
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy nelson View Post
If Derrys happy to fight on thats all that matters ,very brave performance on saturday and the guys a credit to himself and boxing!
I agree, Derry's a warrior and I hope he sticks at it, he still has a lot to offer at domestic level, hopefully he can get a rematch with Crolla for the British title.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:03 AM   #30
BoxingAnalyst
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
It was a terrible stoppage, but to question Derry's heart and claim he's not a man if he doesn't rematch Crolla is daft, he's just been in a really tough fight with someone a level above Crolla.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum