boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

View Poll Results: Which statement best sums up your assessment of Sonnen?
1 9 39.13%
2 14 60.87%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-09-2012, 06:00 PM   #1
Kittikasem
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Which of these statements regarding Chael Sonnen is closest to the truth?

Chael Sonnen is still far and away the number 2 middleweight in the world. He is the best wrestler in his division and one of the very best takedown and top control artists on the planet. He has good boxing and a strong chin, and the way he dominated very good middleweights like Okami, Marquardt and Stann shows that he is an excellent MMA fighter. He probably still has more of a chance of beating Anderson Silva than anyone else at 185, and if AS retires soon Chael could easily become his successor as dominant champion. Although he has had a weakness for getting submitted in his career, the rest of his game is strong and if he can eradicate that through BJJ training in the twilight of his career, he could yet become a genuinely great middleweight.

Chael Sonnen is a crude and overrated fighter who has became highly overrated due to three things: the first being his huge mouth and neverending media soundbites, the second being his past cheating and present twisting of the rules with regard to juicing, and the third being one single performance aided by a ridiculous testosterone ratio and an allegedly injured and complacent Anderson Silva. Sonnen is a one-trick pony; when his takedown-and-top-control trick works he looks good (Okami, Marquardt, Stann), but when it doesn't work so well he looks very beatable (Bisping, Silva II, Maia). His propensity to get submitted, his catalogue of career losses, lack of title wins, and current bleak UFC prospects mean he will always be remembered as a decent contender who never became a great middleweight.
Kittikasem is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2012, 06:15 PM   #2
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Which of these statements regarding Chael Sonnen is closest to the truth?

Agree with most of 2, but I'll give him his due as a wrestler so Ive amened the parts of 1 that I agree with, in bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittikasem View Post

He is the best wrestler in his division and one of the very best takedown and top control artists on the 185. He has a strong chin, and the way he dominated very good middleweights like Okami, Marquardt and Stann shows that he is an excellent wrestler.

Stoo is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #3
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: Which of these statements regarding Chael Sonnen is closest to the truth?

This guy (Kittikasem) reminds me of my arch nemesis , Mr " Popkins " himself

Popkins is that you ????
thewinfella is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2012, 07:13 PM   #4
Primate
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
Agree with most of 2, but I'll give him his due as a wrestler so Ive amened the parts of 1 that I agree with, in bold
Yeah, pretty much.
Primate is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2012, 07:14 PM   #5
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

Sonnen certainly ranks inside the top 5 MW's in the world , his style is suited to fighting most fighters effectively but not all , hence the in different performances

In the last 12-18 months he's looked the best he's ever looked in a somewhat up and down career (at the top level) , he's a massive threat to anybody in the division , specially those with no TDD (Belfort) , dominant wrestler / pressure fighter , effective walk forward pressuring style with a good engine and a good solid chin , he's a force in the division no doubt
Old 07-09-2012, 07:18 PM   #6
Lucky Rutledge
Edward Teach Belt
ESB Full Member

vCash: 2252

2 He's a gatekeeper in any other division in the sport.
Lucky Rutledge is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2012, 07:18 PM   #7
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166

Quote:
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2012, 07:27 PM   #8
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Rutledge View Post
2 He's a gatekeeper in any other division in the sport.
What an idiotic statement !!!!!

A fighter with Sonnen's credentials is not and never will be a gate keeper , yes he's lost a sizeable number of fights compared to other (considered to be) top level fighters , or border line elite , not that I'm saying Sonnen is elite but you understand my direction ??

The guy has a skill set that is effective in MMA , yes he's a **** , and is riding the crest of a wave from his first fight with Silva coupled with Juicing issue's that maybe he should never have been on , but this guy is not a chump when you break down his game , not at all , he's a handful for anybody
Old 07-09-2012, 09:31 PM   #9
davidwatts
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

he isn't a number 2. imo bisping is higher up the league table.
davidwatts is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2012, 09:36 PM   #10
Beouche
Dinamita
East Side Guru

3. On roids hes a monster. Off roids, hes an average - strong journeyman

Im pickin option 3
Beouche is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2012, 10:32 PM   #11
Wilhelm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

It's a mix of the two, but it's closer to 2 than 1. I don't agree that he's a good boxer but when he can't get his top game going he's not much. I thought he easily lost to Bisping. He'll beat plenty of guys out there but maybe not the best which is why I think calling him a gatekeeper is exactly the right word.
Wilhelm is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2012, 11:12 PM   #12
codeman99998
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I think it is closer to 1 than 2, but definitely a bit of both. I think anyone who calls him a journeyman has their heads up their asses. He is the best wrestler in the division and is very very hard to stop with strikes. His standup is average, but made much better by the threat of his strong wrestling. Against guys who CAN stop his shot he looks average, but that is a very very small number of guys. Obviously he has an achilles heel in his triangle defense and he needs to continue to work on that. Top 5 MW without a doubt and major trouble for anyone in the division.
codeman99998 is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2012, 12:31 AM   #13
The Spider

vCash:

Part 2 isn't too far from accurate.

Didn't even read Part 1
Old 07-10-2012, 12:47 AM   #14
rusty nails
Tszyu for PM!!
ESB Addict

2 is pretty much it
rusty nails is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2012, 01:15 AM   #15
Ne5ville14
Rationalist by default...
ESB Addict

Quote:
Ne5ville14 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum