Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 07-10-2012, 06:33 AM   #16
Kittikasem
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: if jon jones never fought again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beouche View Post
He needs to fight Anderson Sillva at 205
So to be a great at lightheavyweight, he needs to beat a guy whose only had 2 fights there, 1 against a mediocrity and 1 against a decent fighter?
Kittikasem is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2012, 06:38 AM   #17
Kittikasem
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwatts View Post
would he be considered one of the greatest of his weight?

quite a few people here have mentioned that they think he is one of the greats, i personally don't agree, yet, but if he suddenly retired how would history place him?
I already view Jones as a proven great lightheavyweight. I don't think he's done enough yet to be the equal of Shogun or Wanderlei, but he's on a par with Rampage, Chuck and Hendo, and already above the likes of Tito, Randy and Machida.

He beat an out-of-shape and blunted Shogun, and a years-past-his-best, toothless Rampage, but you can't criticize his wins over Machida and Evans, he handled two of the world's top 5 very well indeed. Throw in his consistency and dominance in totally rolling over a raft of other contenders (Bader, Matyushenko, Vera, Hamill, Bonnar), and I think it's fair and just that he is already an established great in that weight class.
Kittikasem is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2012, 07:30 AM   #18
Will Munny
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

He's got a better resume than Anderson.
Will Munny is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2012, 07:32 AM   #19
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Hi Will Munny
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2012, 09:08 AM   #20
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwatts View Post
i'm obviously not saying jones isn't any good, he is VERY good imo. he may in fact be heading towards being an all-time great too, however in my mind he isn't there yet.
He may in fact be heading towards being the all-time great.

One thing to consider about Jones as compared to the others is, he hasn't peaked yet. He's still pre-prime, both physically and in his technique. We haven't seen the best version of Jon Jones yet - two, three, five years from now he'll be a substantially better fighter than he is now. He has the drive and the arrogance and the ability to aggressively pursue the title of p4p GOAT, and I don't see much stopping him.

He's already a top-3 p4per, and unlike GSP and Silva, he's a young fighter who will always have incredible physical advantages over everybody he fights, so long as he remains at 205. He shows no sign of growing out of the division yet, and when/if he decides to go to heavyweight, he'll be long enough and strong enough and experienced enough to be a force.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2012, 01:22 PM   #21
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post
He may in fact be heading towards being the all-time great.

Stopped reading here. So much fail....
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2012, 01:53 PM   #22
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post

Stopped reading here. So much fail....

When Fedor was Jones' current age, his MMA record was 7-1 with victories over Arona and Sobral. Fedor was 3 fights away from making his PRIDE debut.

When Anderson was Jones' current age, his MMA record was 2-0. He was about to lose a decision victory to Azeredo. Anderson was seven fights away from making his PRIDE debut. He was six years away from making his UFC debut.

When GSP was Jones' current age, he was by far the most successful of these 3. His MMA record was 12-1. He had just beaten BJ Penn, and he had title fight experience. One title fight, which he lost by submission in the first round.

Jon Jones has won 4 UFC title bouts. All against former champions. All were top-10 opponents. Machida, Shogun and Evans were top 3 LHW opponents. Jones annihilated all of them, three of them by stoppage. And he has not yet reached his physical prime. Plus his technique is very much a work in progress. He has already cleaned out most of his division, and he will get better. He's still green.

That's the argument for Jon Jones being a potential GOAT. Because he is a million light years ahead of where any of the generally accepted top 3 were at the same age.

Now, let's hear the argument for why his potential as a GOAT in waiting can be easily dismissed. Let me guess. "Haggis you're stupid, you fail, here's a stupid picture for you."

Surprise me, scurla. Back your shit up. Make the case for any fighter who looked more like a GOAT as a 24 year old.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:58 PM   #23
HeGlassedMe
ufc is the new pet rock
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 109

only in the ufc.
HeGlassedMe is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2012, 01:59 PM   #24
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Good post...
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2012, 02:00 PM   #25
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
Good post...
What did we do before Wiki and Google aye? god forbid we actually watched the fights?!?!
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2012, 02:01 PM   #26
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

And yes, I am aware that Shogun won the PRIDE Middleweight GP at age 23. That was the peak of Shogun's career.

With the tremendous physical advantages that he enjoys over everyone else in the LHW division, do you anticipate Jones dropping back to just another contender status any time soon?

Even if Hendo KOs him, it won't matter. Jones is still green. He's three or four years away from the age that most guys are when they get their first title shot. With the amount of career he has left coupled with what he has already achieved, realistically the only thing that looks like it can stop him from being the LHW #1 ATG is injury. And he's as well placed as anyone has ever been to eventually dethrone Fedor as the #1 p4p ATG. Probably better placed. To argue otherwise is just ridiculous hating and nothing else.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:07 PM   #27
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

Quote:
Good post...
Yeah I wikied them, to check their ages. So ****ing what?

Anderson Silva is regarded as a top-2 p4p ATG by basically everyone purely because of his UFC championship reign. He was 30 before he stepped into the octagon for the first time.

Jon Jones is 24 years old and already has three high-level title defences in a division that was notorious for having a rotating cast of champions. He is and will always be a physical freak at 205. He also has the opportunity to campaign and be competitive at HW if he wishes.

Since I'm such a retard, explain to me why it's impossible for Jones to ever be the #1 p4p ATG. Go on. Explain it to me. I'm interested to know why even the possibility is so outrageous as to be actively humorous.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:08 PM   #28
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
What did we do before Wiki and Google aye? god forbid we actually watched the fights?!?!
Yeah man, we'd probably be making threads about all the stoppages due to elbow cuts in the UFC or be talking about Cains tattoo
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2012, 02:10 PM   #29
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Yeah I wikied them, to check their ages. So ****ing what?

Anderson Silva is regarded as a top-2 p4p ATG by basically everyone purely because of his UFC championship reign. He was 30 before he stepped into the octagon for the first time.

Jon Jones is 24 years old and already has three high-level title defences in a division that was notorious for having a rotating cast of champions. He is and will always be a physical freak at 205. He also has the opportunity to campaign and be competitive at HW if he wishes.

Since I'm such a retard, explain to me why it's impossible for Jones to ever be the #1 p4p ATG. Go on. Explain it to me. I'm interested to know why even the possibility is so outrageous as to be actively humorous.

Stoo is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2012, 02:13 PM   #30
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

Quote:
Yeah man, we'd probably be making threads about all the stoppages due to elbow cuts in the UFC or be talking about Cains tattoo
You two know that you don't have shit to say against my argument, so you just trade catty little pathetic insults and emoticons between each other.

Challenge my argument instead of being a bitchy little girl. Since I'm such a moron and I know nothing about MMA, it should be easy to rip it to shreds. So tell me why exactly Jon Jones isn't under serious consideration as a potential future GOAT.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum