Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 07-10-2012, 09:14 AM   #1
ishy
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 500
Default Canelo/Lopez?!

The scene is reporting that Alvarez's opponent for September 15th is Josesito Lopez. If true, what a massive joke.

This is a guy who's light-welterweight. He only stepped up to welter cos he got the opportunity to fight Ortiz and even then he weighed in under 145lbs. So from barely making welter GBP think it's alright to offer him a fight against a big LMW like Canelo?

Why would anyone who's in Vegas on that weekend choose to attend Alvarez/Lopez over Chavez/Martinez? Why would any journalist sit ringside for this farce of the Chavez fight? Sure GBP have been unlucky with securing an opponent for Alvarez but is a blown-up light welter the best they can do?
ishy is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2012, 09:23 AM   #2
JFT96
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: Canelo/Lopez?!

Picking this opponent has been one big saga for GBP and makes me wonder, what's the point in making Canelo fight on this date? Especially as, like you say, there's a more intriguing fight the same night on a rival network that will surely get more exposure.

Usually, I'd support a fighter who upset the apple cart getting his shot, like Abril when he beat Acosta for example. But as you say, he is not a light-middleweight. In fact, even if Ortiz would have won I'd have been unimpressed with the opponent as I can't see any advantage for ortiz in going up to 154.

Alvarez's tag as world champion is really starting to grate with me now to be honest. Like with Cleverly, he's made a few defences now and I can't name one opponent, save for perhaps Rhodes, who warranted the fight. He's not learning anything with these fights or testing himself and I think this could harm him and stagnate his career. I've always thought him and Cotto would be close but I'm not sure if he's had the experience to deal with someone as tough and wily as Miguel in the near future. In fact, i rank Molina higher than him currently.
JFT96 is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2012, 09:57 AM   #3
ashishwarrior
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 3166

historic apparently
ashishwarrior is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2012, 10:04 AM   #4
BoxingAnalyst
Champion
East Side Guru

Shite opponent for Canelo, he needs to be fighting the best at 154.
BoxingAnalyst is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2012, 10:11 AM   #5
Lilo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFT96 View Post
Picking this opponent has been one big saga for GBP and makes me wonder, what's the point in making Canelo fight on this date? Especially as, like you say, there's a more intriguing fight the same night on a rival network that will surely get more exposure.

Usually, I'd support a fighter who upset the apple cart getting his shot, like Abril when he beat Acosta for example. But as you say, he is not a light-middleweight. In fact, even if Ortiz would have won I'd have been unimpressed with the opponent as I can't see any advantage for ortiz in going up to 154.

Alvarez's tag as world champion is really starting to grate with me now to be honest. Like with Cleverly, he's made a few defences now and I can't name one opponent, save for perhaps Rhodes, who warranted the fight. He's not learning anything with these fights or testing himself and I think this could harm him and stagnate his career. I've always thought him and Cotto would be close but I'm not sure if he's had the experience to deal with someone as tough and wily as Miguel in the near future. In fact, i rank Molina higher than him currently.
Agree with a lot of this. Thing is he probably is one of the best LMWs but his promoter's arent giving him the chance to prove it!
Lilo is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2012, 10:36 AM   #6
stittyb
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

He's still young at 21, but my feeling has always been if you're old enough / experienced enough to compete for a world title then you have to be willing to 'be' the champion.

I hate fighters winning titles THEN talking about a few defences to gain experience etc. It really sickens me and just highlights how worthless belts are now.
stittyb is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2012, 12:40 PM   #7
LHL
Captain Freedom
East Side VIP

vCash: 2835

Quote:
Originally Posted by stittyb View Post
He's still young at 21, but my feeling has always been if you're old enough / experienced enough to compete for a world title then you have to be willing to 'be' the champion.

I hate fighters winning titles THEN talking about a few defences to gain experience etc. It really sickens me and just highlights how worthless belts are now.

Yeah used to be winning the title was one thing and defending it was another now its knock off the weakest champ and pick the worst of the contenders.

Joke fight really is I like Saul but what is beating another under matched opponent going to do for him.
LHL is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #8
fwd89

vCash: 1000

Terrible fight, Lopez isn't even a good light-welter, the guy's tough but his skill-set is not world class.
fwd89 is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2012, 12:50 PM   #9
Special
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1141

Shit fight
Special is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2012, 04:00 PM   #10
sud2002
Contender
ESB Senior Member

At least this makes my decision on what fight to watch much easier on the night!
sud2002 is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2012, 05:58 PM   #11
Nipple
I hate my username
ESB Addict

Canelo is the Mexican version of Brook.

Just a protected fighter.
Nipple is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2012, 06:04 PM   #12
glue glove
Belt holder
ESB Addict

He maybe 21, but he has had 41 fights, that is not a 'young' record.

He needs to step up pretty soon, who is the most live opponent he has faced, Rhodes?
glue glove is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2012, 06:39 PM   #13
sud2002
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I wish it was against a better opponent but I can't hate on the guy for this, especially at 22!

Some of the hate is probably down him having a version of the world title but look who Marquez is fighting next!

Marquez is someone who is going beyond his prime whereas Canelo is many years yet from his prime ,so you have to ask yourself who really can afford to have an easier fight?
sud2002 is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2012, 06:42 PM   #14
ishy
P4P King
East Side VIP

Marquez doesn't need to prove anything anymore. And his next fight is pretty much a tune-up anyway.

No one's asking Canelo to take on the absolute elite but at least find a natural lightmiddle instead of dragging up a guy all the way from 140! Even someone like Gabriel Rosado would have been more acceptable.
ishy is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2012, 06:59 PM   #15
sud2002
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishy View Post
Marquez doesn't need to prove anything anymore. And his next fight is pretty much a tune-up anyway.

No one's asking Canelo to take on the absolute elite but at least find a natural lightmiddle instead of dragging up a guy all the way from 140! Even someone like Gabriel Rosado would have been more acceptable.
But that doesn't make it okay for him to be fighting a bum.

Maybe Lopez is a tune up for Canelo, who by the way is a tougher test then Marquez's opponent. Canelo deserves a tune up more because he is still developing and is at a tender age to be fighting at the level he is.

The tougher tests come with the next 18 month I have no doubt, but let him develop!
sud2002 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum