Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 07-14-2012, 09:51 AM   #1
davidwatts
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default getting mma accepted in the media

i don't know what its like in the states, but mma doesn't get a mention in the mainstream media here in oz.
occasionally there is a piece on how disgusting 'cage-fighting' is of course. theres always that type of coverage.

we just had that big sonnen vs silva fight but not a dickie-bird was mentioned.
it would be great if the sport was regularly mentioned in the free-to-air news and sports programmes like football is.
i wonder when that will happen?

i suppose once that happens it will show that mma has finally been accepted. whats it like in america and england as far as the media goes?
davidwatts is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2012, 11:30 AM   #2
afterglow
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: getting mma accepted in the media

When it comes to media on TV, I usually only follow ESPN, and they don't like it much.

MMA live comes on overnight nowadays, and that's when it's aired.

It's sorta treated like strongman competitions.

It's as if they want it gone.

That and most of the people they have on air hate it.

But then again, most of the people that have their own shows gimmick to be annoying, like Skip Bayless. Or don't even watch the things they talk about like the idiots on PTI.
afterglow is offline  Top
Old 07-14-2012, 12:47 PM   #3
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Its not mainstream in the UK. Has fans obviously and a presence. But fairly pedestrian media coverage. MMA will never be bigger than boxing in this country. The cultural roots are too deep. Case in point Haye Chisora. Im off to it in a minute. Everyone's going nuts for it in my neck of the woods.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 07-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166

The situation in Brazil is funny......itīs clearly the second sport now, and nowadays most of the people know Anderson Silva, Shogun, Aldo, etc........but most of the "fans" are noobs, some people even think the name of the sport is UFC and not MMA......
You finally see two or three things in newspapers and everything, but the coverage in the regular media is still little. I mean, is clearly more popular than F1 for instance, but F1 still has more coverage of the press.....
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Old 07-14-2012, 01:00 PM   #5
Lynchburg
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1449

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
Its not mainstream in the UK. Has fans obviously and a presence. But fairly pedestrian media coverage. MMA will never be bigger than boxing in this country. The cultural roots are too deep. Case in point Haye Chisora. Im off to it in a minute. Everyone's going nuts for it in my neck of the woods.

People at work are going crazy for it and they don't know their names. One dude come up to me and asked me if I thought Dereck Haye would win and what round

I said nothing... I just told him whoever gets the W will not be able to beat Jose Aldo and then walked off...

Lynchburg
Lynchburg is offline  Top
Old 07-14-2012, 01:03 PM   #6
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynchburg View Post

People at work are going crazy for it and they don't know their names. One dude come up to me and asked me if I thought Dereck Haye would win and what round

I said nothing... I just told him whoever gets the W will not be able to beat Jose Aldo and then walked off...

Lynchburg

At least 7 guys in my office went nuts when i said i was going Upton Park for the fight. Iv had phone calls today with mates asking me who to bet on. Reality is Boxing is big in this country and always will be. Thats especially true in the East End where everyone here loves a blue collar dust up.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:10 PM   #7
Will Cooling
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I mentioned the Haye-Chisora fight to a few guys at work and ended up hosting them round to watch the fight. So yeah that fight is hitting the mark in a way a UFC fight never has.

But never forget that Davey Boy Smith and Bret Hart managed to sell out Wembley Stadium and that the WWE does tens of thousands of pay per views most months in this country. And the UFC has had big shows and when on stronger channels does good viewing figures.

To me the situation is simple. Boxing, UFC and WWE all have their hardcore fanbases which are fairly small. Of the three UFC is probably the smallest because its the younger sport and only really started gaining popularity five years ago. But there's a huge casual fan fight market that can be convinced to watch a big boxing match, big pro-wrestling match or a big MMA fight if its properly/heavily marketed.

UFC just doesn't have the connections in this country to get that promotional push. Plus the stars haven't really aligned for them to even have the fight that would justify such a push. If they were on Sky Sports and Bisping was challenging for the title in the UK that fight would have a buzz around it like a big boxing match. Wouldn't change the fact that MMA is a hyper-niche sport in this country in the same way that the big Hatton or Haye fights never lifted the overall profile of boxing.
Will Cooling is offline  Top
Old 07-14-2012, 06:39 PM   #8
Lynchburg
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1449

The way I see it is this;

Casual fan watches boxing:
Two dudes throwing punches like in a street fight.

MMA:
Dude runs at other dude and does something. Both on the floor and the guy on bottom is moving his legs upwards... Lol. Why doesn't then guy on top strangle him?! Amateurs! Guys on bottom wrapped legs around him and won?! Not sure what happened... I can't learn all this.

Lynchburg
Lynchburg is offline  Top
Old 07-15-2012, 04:55 AM   #9
davidwatts
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

the results of the ufc/mma cards don't even get a mention somewhere on the back pages of the newspapers, let alone on the tv.

i think that a lot of people see 'cage fighting' as two guys throwing everything they have into every punch, going for the KO.
they don't appreciate the ground skills as the few highlights they get to see on the box are usually just KOs by punch or kick.
they don't get to see anything else.
if they're unaware of it, then lots of people will continue to ridicule it too.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:59 AM   #10
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

The average man on the street who knows nothing about the sport see's it as human **** fighting. The term itself 'Cage Fighting' does nothing to lend to the credibility of MMA. Perception is everything and i'm afraid the 'Cage' does the sport no favours.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:36 AM   #11
davidwatts
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

yeah i hate the 'cage-fighting' term myself. i think there is an organization here in australia called the cage fighting championship? doesn't help at all.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum