Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 07-19-2012, 04:36 PM   #31
Kittikasem
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Shane Carwin And Roy Nelson To Coach Next Season Of 'The Ultimate Fighter'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post
Yeah, I think against Brock it was as much psychological as it was physical though.

I mean, it was his first title fight, and he spent most of the round beating the absolute shit out of the most famous MMA fighter on the planet. For most of the round he was one punch away from stopping Brock and becoming the champion, and he knew it. He must have been going crazy in there.

So he got all hyped up, he punched himself out, and then between rounds he crashed HARD and had nothing left. He's never had great stamina, but it's never been THAT bad either. I reckon it was in a large part down to the adrenaline and the excitement of the moment.

I disagree. I believe it was purely, 100% physical. He was far too muscled and too bulky/heavy, and he had NEVER EVER fought more than 4 minutes before, with the vast majority of his fights lasting an average of 1 minute. His body wasn't ready for a fight going into the 2nd or 3rd round, simple. Carwin has always been psychologically/mentally tough, he wouldn't lose heart simply by beating the shit out of Lesnar. He gassed, nothing else.
Kittikasem is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2012, 05:52 PM   #32
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177
Default Re: Shane Carwin And Roy Nelson To Coach Next Season Of 'The Ultimate Fighter'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittikasem View Post
I disagree. I believe it was purely, 100% physical. He was far too muscled and too bulky/heavy, and he had NEVER EVER fought more than 4 minutes before, with the vast majority of his fights lasting an average of 1 minute. His body wasn't ready for a fight going into the 2nd or 3rd round, simple. Carwin has always been psychologically/mentally tough, he wouldn't lose heart simply by beating the shit out of Lesnar. He gassed, nothing else.
Maybe. But even though his fights were all short, I'm pretty sure he has more than a couple of minutes' worth of stamina in training. I think it's a little from column A, a little from column B. You can't underestimate the effects of adrenaline and mental stress on the body. It's not a matter of "losing heart", because Carwin will give his best effort all day long (as he showed against JDS.)

But he was DONE after the first round against Brock. He could hardly breathe. Being on the big stage for the first time and getting all the adrenaline rush of seemingly having everything going perfectly right from the opening bell more than likely has something to do with that.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Old 07-19-2012, 05:53 PM   #33
LHL
Captain Freedom
East Side VIP

vCash: 2835

God help the people with Carwin he seems in need of training himself
LHL is offline  Top
Old 07-19-2012, 05:57 PM   #34
Kittikasem
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post
Maybe. But even though his fights were all short, I'm pretty sure he has more than a couple of minutes' worth of stamina in training. I think it's a little from column A, a little from column B. You can't underestimate the effects of adrenaline and mental stress on the body. It's not a matter of "losing heart", because Carwin will give his best effort all day long (as he showed against JDS.)

But he was DONE after the first round against Brock. He could hardly breathe. Being on the big stage for the first time and getting all the adrenaline rush of seemingly having everything going perfectly right from the opening bell more than likely has something to do with that.

Nah, I don't buy that personally. People always focus way too much on the "mental" side of things. Carwin was winning the fight easily, but his body was not conditioned to fight into a 2nd round, he'd never ever done it before and was carrying too much bulk. JMHO.
Kittikasem is offline  Top
Old 07-19-2012, 06:06 PM   #35
LHL
Captain Freedom
East Side VIP

vCash: 2835

I agree Kasem. Carwin basically fought the full 5 minutes against Brock and completely gassed. The Lesnar take down in the 2nd if I remember right was a complete mess yet he still got it.

Never looked like a fighter always carrying way too much and it never brought him any real advantages in a fight.
LHL is offline  Top
Old 07-19-2012, 06:31 PM   #36
TerryESB
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittikasem View Post
In all fairness, he did manage to get up after getting flattened by Cigano in the 1st round, and then made the final bell. It takes cardio to rise again after getting hammered on the ground, and then to fight through the next two rounds suffering the after-effects of that.

Don't get me wrong, Carwin's performance vs Lesnar was probably the most disgraceful display of stamina ever seen in a high-level combat sports contest, but the reason Shane came in lighter in his next fight was to ensure his cardio was better. And it was.

Still, I don't think he has the resilience to match Roy and it'll be him who wilts first.
Indeed. How did Carwin lose so much weight after the Brock fight

Carwin was a 285 fighter and would cut to 265 lbs. Against Carwin in his last fight he was 254 lbs. A loss of 31 lbs.
TerryESB is offline  Top
Old 07-19-2012, 10:59 PM   #37
afterglow
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Carwin was about 252 for his first UFC fight, if I remember correctly.
afterglow is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2012, 03:29 PM   #38
PivotPunch
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

The fight is going to be great but I'm afraid Nelson ends up with brain damage if he continues to take that amount of punishment. Arlovski beat him down JDS destroyed him, Werdum and Mir did and even Crocop hit him with a good amount of punches and when he gets beaten its always in brutal fashion because his chin doesn't allow him to get stopped which results in him getting beat down for 15 minutes.He really needs to go down to 205 after this fight
PivotPunch is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum