Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 07-16-2012, 07:10 AM   #46
rainmaker
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Khan hints Roach break up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by red boy View Post
It was shocking that Khan was sparring and you have Ruben and the little fella there. From a PR point it looked bad and clearly from a boing point it was bad.

I am surprised the khan team let that sparring footage in the final programme. The whole scene was awkward. Felt sorry for Amir to be honest.

Ruben did tell him though not to get drawn into a war.
Tabares actually gave him sound advice in that clip. He even told Khan multiple times not to get wild and box his opponent instead of brawling with him To which Khan replied "it's boring" showing just exactly where his mind is when in the ring. He doesn't listen and take anything in. He has to change that or else he is getting knocked out again.
rainmaker is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2012, 07:11 AM   #47
FIN
Contender
ESB Senior Member

The problem with Khan is at the elite level he is gonna have to take some heavy punches,no matter how much he improves his defence he will still ocasionally get hit and the problem is he has a very vunerable chin,i still think Khan has another few big wins left in him but he will be knocked out bad atleast once more before he retires..,has to be said Khan is one of the most exciting fighters of the last decade,never in a bad fight..
FIN is offline  Top
Old 07-16-2012, 07:15 AM   #48
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunster101 View Post
If Khan is going to have success in boxing he basically has to stop throwing any punch that isn't a jab or a straight right, and he should also stop throwing more than two punches in succession. Anytime he opens up against an opponent who isn't just overwhelmed by his speed then he's open to be timed and hurt.

He basically needs to become the 140lb Wladimir Klitschko.
Pretty much and he has the height/reach/speed to do so imo

Roach won't put forward such a gameplan, he's trains boxers to be fighters
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 07-16-2012, 07:34 AM   #49
Go Getta
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 336

The right balance of attack and covering up/Defence being aware of what's happening around him is needed, this reckless attacking is shocking.

Roach don't shout at Khan in the corner, bet Roach don't even shout at Khan when sparring, this softy softy shit does not work, Khan needs a live trainer who would put him in his place when he is in the wrong so he don't make them mistakes again.

Roach is health is not the best, and I think looking at his fighters performance of late it's showing on them to.

Khan needs a full time live wire switched on no bull shit trainer.
Go Getta is offline  Top
Old 07-16-2012, 07:34 AM   #50
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
I've been saying for a while he needs a trainer who can work on his defence and develop his skills. Roach gives guys some basic skills and gets them in great shape but it's mainly basic drills, which I believe encourage predictable boxing

Roach's boxers are very average defensively and predictable in what they do because he isn't close to being the best trainer in the world

Your basing this on Ricky Hatton who threw his instructions out the window and would have been ko'd by Pacquaio no matter what. Mayweather Jr aside he's trained Delahoya, Dawson, Guzman, Morales and Laila Ali and none of them got sparked out under him, bar the DLH bodyshot.

Importantly he'd be free to spend all his time on Amir, which is what Amir should get for his 10% fight purse.

I'm not sure he's the best fit but Amir would learn new things. It worked for Delahoya who in my view is pretty similar to Khan
I just don't think Sr is suited to Khan at all, he's too robotic to try and learn those kinda techniques.

Not really sure Oscar improved under him either, tbh.

Hatton would have been laid out by Pac regardless, you're right about that, mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli View Post
To be honest your right. Freddie Roach is not fully committed to Khan. Neither is Alex Ariza. All this being dragged out to the Philippines and shit is no good.

Time for a change. I'm not blaming Roach outright for the loss that's Khans fault but things are not ideal anymore.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by widdy View Post
i don't think roach has improved him at all,he looks the same as he did ten fights ago,on saturday he was acting like he was against presscot,he thought it was going to be a easy couple of rounds,a blow out,which cost him big time.

someone beat me too it earlier,get him with booth,the dark lord can make him into a boring backpeddler(if the ****er will listen),but unfortunately his chin will always let him down.
Darni,you can talk yourself into his chin being good and a couple more on here can do the same ,but his chin is bad,the shot hit him on the neck,if it hit him bang on the button he would of been out cold,the only thing what kept him us was his balls at times he was like bambi on ice
+1

He's still the same he always was. He's just tactically superior for the most part, until he gets hit with a good shot, then all common sense goes out of the window.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJM View Post
I agree Khan should look elsewhere and Booth is a great choice as he's all about the calculated risk which is exactly what Amir needs to get him through the next stage of his career. Groves and Haye both have shown vulnerability with their chins and liked to stand and trade, so he's got plenty of experience in curbing that enthusiasm in fighters.

That's no criticism of Roach, he has been crystal clear from day 1 that Pacquiao is the priority.
Not sure about The Dark One tbh.

Khan isn't capable of the hands down, lean back defence.... and he can't counter with the right hand either.

TDO is pretty one-dimensional in all honesty, he's simply got two fighters who work with that style, one more so than the other.
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 07-16-2012, 07:35 AM   #51
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless View Post
Ricky Hatton didn't throw shit out, Sr is just a shit coach and he trained Guzman and Dawson for 2 fights and de la hoya looked absolutely shit with old man crackhead training him.
DLH fought under FMS for Gatti, his whole 154lb career (bar FMJ) and Hopkins/Sturm. I thought he boxed well in that period bar Sturm

Hatton under any coach would get dispatched by Pacman. Against Tyszu and he used wrestling and infighting to suffocate his opponents punches, under FMS he was asked to box more and he used his jab/right more and his back seemed stiffer. Aside from the jab all of those things weren't helping him because his defence was based around suffocation. He kept lowish hands and led with wide hooks and stepped in with his chin in the air. Hatton would be ko'd doing that no matter who trained him. Look at Hatton knocking out Maussa, he makes all the same mistakes and looks like a KO waiting to happen. He's very lucky that only Mayweather and Pacquaio KO'd him, others could have

The main issue with Sr is his wages and his lung condition
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 07-16-2012, 07:43 AM   #52
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Getta View Post
"I'm going to sit down when I go home and see where we go from there," he added. "I want to be the main priority.

"A lot of travelling - going to the Philippines, here, there, everywhere - does take a lot out of you, especially when you're a young fighter and I've never done it before.

"I'm going to start thinking about myself because normally I'm thinking about others too much and I'm the one who's in the ring taking the punishment. It's time now where maybe I do things a bit differently.

"When you're nice and just agree with everything, sometimes even though you're not happy doing things, you just do them. But I'm going to have to sit down with the team now and do things I want to do.

"There are a lot of untied knots there and we're going to fix them."
I believe this is the best thing for all involved , Roach is on his way out , the Wild Card enigma is coming to an end

But travelling to the Phillipines IMHO isn't the problem , he and Roach have a lot to answer for , for the way he fought Danny Garcia and the way he fought Lamont Peterson

Ill add BTW that neither fighter is a chump nor is / was it a given that Khan would beat them , but he didn't give himself a bastard chance !!! , basic tactics and very very basic technical mistakes were being made (defensively) which in a nut shell " SHOULD NOT BE HAPPENING " , or if the kid cannot fight inside (no shit sherlock) then he shouldn't be giving his opponent , any of his opponents a chance to engage him inside , easier said than done but something that can be done with an in out style !! Roach and Khan are done , but more importantly Khan himself needs to humble up and toughen up and get his surroundings right , he needs to take a leaf out of more grounded fighters books and stop believing he's a superstar , he's a fighter who isn't perfect trying to mix it with the elite of the sport , to do this he needs to work harder and fight strategically than all of the current elite fighters in the world or he simply won't reach that level , elite should be re phrased actually to world class

Elite is something i believe is just too much of a stretch for Khan
thewinfella is offline  Top
Old 07-16-2012, 07:48 AM   #53
upgrayedd
Journeyman

The way I see it Khan has two problems - ongoing technical flaws, and flaws in his mental approach.

Booth could definately help on the mental side, he's a strong character and good at imposing his (dark) will onto fighters.

On the technical side I'm not sure. To be honest, I don't and I don't think anyone really knows how adaptable Booth is on the technical front. Haye and Groves both fight in similar relex-based fashion, and have recently had similar gameplans. Khan would need something different, and really needs some of his technical issues ironing out to succeed (in the long term).

And if Khan went to him - he still wouldn't be number one in the pecking order. But that said, the Booth camp would appear to be a lot more stable than the Roach one (based in London full-time etc).

But hell, first thing Khan needs to do is admit he has faults, and that's the first step!
upgrayedd is offline  Top
Old 07-16-2012, 07:49 AM   #54
Geddy Lee
Contender
ESB Senior Member

with how bad his chin is , Khan can only be a boxer with moving away style trying to pick up points and never got into a real fight, he will have to fight the way Johny nelson did, being shit scared to get hit.
Geddy Lee is offline  Top
Old 07-16-2012, 07:49 AM   #55
Go Getta
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewinfella View Post
I believe this is the best thing for all involved , Roach is on his way out , the Wild Card enigma is coming to an end

But travelling to the Phillipines IMHO isn't the problem , he and Roach have a lot to answer for , for the way he fought Danny Garcia and the way he fought Lamont Peterson

Ill add BTW that neither fighter is a chump nor is / was it a given that Khan would beat them , but he didn't give himself a bastard chance !!! , basic tactics and very very basic technical mistakes were being made (defensively) which in a nut shell " SHOULD NOT BE HAPPENING " , or if the kid cannot fight inside (no shit sherlock) then he shouldn't be giving his opponent , any of his opponents a chance to engage him inside , easier said than done but something that can be done with an in out style !! Roach and Khan are done , but more importantly Khan himself needs to humble up and toughen up and get his surroundings right , he needs to take a leaf out of more grounded fighters books and stop believing he's a superstar , he's a fighter who isn't perfect trying to mix it with the elite of the sport , to do this he needs to work harder and fight strategically than all of the current elite fighters in the world or he simply won't reach that level , elite should be re phrased actually to world class

Elite is something i believe is just too much of a stretch for Khan
Top post again mate, agree with on all points.
Go Getta is offline  Top
Old 07-16-2012, 07:50 AM   #56
Lazarus
Realist
East Side VIP

vCash: 238

If Amir needs a new trainer, it should be Virgil Hunter.

It may just be a learning deficiency on Amir's part. Although, I doubt it.
Lazarus is offline  Top
Old 07-16-2012, 07:50 AM   #57
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

Quote:
Top post again mate, agree with on all points.
Thank you
thewinfella is offline  Top
Old 07-16-2012, 07:52 AM   #58
Uncle Rico
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by upgrayedd View Post
The way I see it Khan has two problems - ongoing technical flaws, and flaws in his mental approach.

Booth could definately help on the mental side, he's a strong character and good at imposing his (dark) will onto fighters.

On the technical side I'm not sure. To be honest, I don't and I don't think anyone really knows how adaptable Booth is on the technical front. Haye and Groves both fight in similar relex-based fashion, and have recently had similar gameplans. Khan would need something different, and really needs some of his technical issues ironing out to succeed (in the long term).

And if Khan went to him - he still wouldn't be number one in the pecking order. But that said, the Booth camp would appear to be a lot more stable than the Roach one (based in London full-time etc).

But hell, first thing Khan needs to do is admit he has faults, and that's the first step!
Couldn't agree more.
Uncle Rico is offline  Top
Old 07-16-2012, 07:56 AM   #59
Peter__1987

vCash:

Quote:

Khan needs a full time live wire switched on no bull shit trainer.
Ohhhhh here it comes

I ****in knew it, a day or two after the fight and now it's Freddie Roach's fault
Old 07-16-2012, 07:59 AM   #60
HMSTempleGarden
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2522

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAnthony View Post
emmanual steward wud be perfect
Steward only arrives during the last few weeks of training camp I heard somewhere.

Last edited by HMSTempleGarden; 07-16-2012 at 08:16 AM.
HMSTempleGarden is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum