Old 07-17-2012, 12:26 AM   #16
AnthonyJ74
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: David Tua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
201 at 19 years old. He was still a boy.

I saw him spar after the Ruiz fight. He was a total block of granite. No way, no how he could have gotten under 200 during his prime.

That said, the mid-220's were his best weight. Coming into the Lewis fight at 247 was just stupid.
Most people are full grown at 19-years-old. Heck, I was full grown at 15. Your skeleton isn't likely to get any bigger after 19.
AnthonyJ74 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2012, 12:50 AM   #17
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ74 View Post
Most people are full grown at 19-years-old. Heck, I was full grown at 15. Your skeleton isn't likely to get any bigger after 19.
I have to disagree. You sir are the exception. Most people grow significantly from there. Ali was 188 as a 19 year old. He put on significant weight. And he's the rule not the exception.
LittleRed is offline  Top
Old 07-17-2012, 01:32 AM   #18
The Wanderer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 396

Quote:
Actually, your skeleton does continue to grow, (it just gets a bit denser and wider instead of taller) and that's completely overlooking the fact that your metabolism radically changes as you get older, not to mention your ability to lose weight.

At 19 Manny Pacquiao was coming into the ring at 112 and Mayweather at 130. Who here thinks either of those guys could still make those weights now, or could have in their late 20s?

Shit, in my teens I ate like a pig, never worked out, and walked around in the 170s. At 32, I have to work out 3 times a week (or more) and avoid eating a depressing amount of food in my quest to not get too high above 210 mark. The only way anyone can not know that is because they haven't experienced it.
The Wanderer is offline  Top
Old 07-17-2012, 01:33 AM   #19
The Wanderer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 396

As for Tua, some of it was bad habits, (weight/dedication issues, falling in love with his power) some of it was just bad luck/bad timing.
The Wanderer is offline  Top
Old 07-17-2012, 02:55 AM   #20
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 3600

Lacked a few inches in height that would have brought him d big win over Lewis . Did not take Byrd Seriously but didn't really lose 2 him nor 2 Ibeabuchi unless 1 takes d judges' scorecards or some of this board's transgenders seriously .
Did not really beat Rahman as it was a bad referee there that either did not know his job or was just corrupt . Tua drew with Rahman in their rematch .
Deserved 2 get a DQ loss 2 Moorer .
Blitzed John Ruiz and a 14-0-1 Darroll Wilson whom came of a kO win over n undefeated Shannon Briggs .
destroyed contenders in David Izon (whom destroyed Darroll Wilson & Lou Savaresse) , Fres Oquendo (whom stopped David Izon) , Oleg Maskaev (whom did better than Tua vs each 1 of their mutual opponents in Rahman*2 , Robert Hawkins , Jeff Wooden) .
Also , Ruiz , whom Tua KOd in 1 stopped Fres Oquendo .
Tua also KOd Dannell Nicholson (whom outpointed Ruiz) in 6 .
Tua was d top dog in d heap of late 1990s 2 early 2000s contenders .

Those few missing inches along with 2 bad (and blown out of proportions 2 a greater degree) decisions by d judges and avoidance by some of d titlists as well as bad matchmaking by his management prevented him from reaching d ludicrous reward of having a toy belt .
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Old 07-17-2012, 05:01 AM   #21
Grinder
Dude, don't call me Dude
ESB Senior Member

Ike beat him up? FFs this forum is bec
Grinder is offline  Top
Old 07-17-2012, 05:07 AM   #22
Grinder
Dude, don't call me Dude
ESB Senior Member

-oming a joke. That was one of the better heavyweight fights of the last 30 years. Two monsters going at it in their prime. Tua could have got the decision in any stretch of the imagination. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, that was the last of his great fights. Maybe he took too much punishment or became despondent at his luck.

Lewis was a bad stylistic matchup. He came in fat unfortunately and Lewis fought very conservatively. If he had fought like he did against Rahman he would have been carried away on a stretcher.
Grinder is offline  Top
Old 07-17-2012, 06:20 AM   #23
dyna
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1551

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenfrank View Post
Lacked a few inches in height that would have brought him d big win over Lewis . Did not take Byrd Seriously but didn't really lose 2 him nor 2 Ibeabuchi unless 1 takes d judges' scorecards or some of this board's transgenders seriously .
Did not really beat Rahman as it was a bad referee there that either did not know his job or was just corrupt . Tua drew with Rahman in their rematch .
Deserved 2 get a DQ loss 2 Moorer .
Blitzed John Ruiz and a 14-0-1 Darroll Wilson whom came of a kO win over n undefeated Shannon Briggs .
destroyed contenders in David Izon (whom destroyed Darroll Wilson & Lou Savaresse) , Fres Oquendo (whom stopped David Izon) , Oleg Maskaev (whom did better than Tua vs each 1 of their mutual opponents in Rahman*2 , Robert Hawkins , Jeff Wooden) .
Also , Ruiz , whom Tua KOd in 1 stopped Fres Oquendo .
Tua also KOd Dannell Nicholson (whom outpointed Ruiz) in 6 .
Tua was d top dog in d heap of late 1990s 2 early 2000s contenders .

Those few missing inches along with 2 bad (and blown out of proportions 2 a greater degree) decisions by d judges and avoidance by some of d titlists as well as bad matchmaking by his management prevented him from reaching d ludicrous reward of having a toy belt .
Your posts are terrible to read.
It irritates me even more than seeing "could of".
dyna is offline  Top
Old 07-17-2012, 06:59 AM   #24
zadfrak
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Just how many of the heavyweights have terrific results for their careers that don't bother much with roadwork?
zadfrak is offline  Top
Old 07-17-2012, 07:04 AM   #25
TheMagicanBoy
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 75

tua was massively underrated
TheMagicanBoy is offline  Top
Old 07-17-2012, 07:06 AM   #26
MMJoe
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
yes grown perhaps up, but not out.
MMJoe is offline  Top
Old 07-17-2012, 08:01 AM   #27
MadcapMaxie
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRed View Post
I have to disagree. You sir are the exception. Most people grow significantly from there. Ali was 188 as a 19 year old. He put on significant weight. And he's the rule not the exception.
Truth. Then again everybody is different.

Max Baer was about 185 when he started boxing at 18-19 then when he was in his mid 20's could push 220. George Foreman was about 215-220 when he was 19 in the Olmpics and didn't get much bigger unless out of shape. As for whether David Tua could be a cruiser? No chance in hell unless he starved himself he's an extremely stocky Samoan, a race known for being huge bastards. With modern training and nutrition thrown in the mix and he's got a snowballs chance in hell of making it under 200lbs.
MadcapMaxie is offline  Top
Old 07-17-2012, 10:53 AM   #28
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
I gained 15-20 pounds of muscle between 19 and 23.

Joe Louis was 181 at 19.

Ali was 192.

Holmes was 190.

So, no.
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 07-17-2012, 11:10 AM   #29
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
-oming a joke. That was one of the better heavyweight fights of the last 30 years. Two monsters going at it in their prime. Tua could have got the decision in any stretch of the imagination. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, that was the last of his great fights. Maybe he took too much punishment or became despondent at his luck.

Lewis was a bad stylistic matchup. He came in fat unfortunately and Lewis fought very conservatively. If he had fought like he did against Rahman he would have been carried away on a stretcher.
2 monsters....c'mon! It is more like a a HW version of gatti/Ward....A very nice battle between two decent challengers of limited skill...Monsters LOL!
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Old 07-17-2012, 11:11 AM   #30
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMagicanBoy View Post
tua is massively overrated
Fixed
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top