Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-17-2012, 11:30 AM   #31
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: David Tua

Tua was overrated slightly, imo. Definitely good enough to pick up some sort of strap in this watered down era, but he really wasn't as good as he was sold early on. He was a pressure fighter who didn't understand how to pressure fight properly. I call him the heavyweight Rocky Juarez. If you did the right things he would allow himself to be overcome. If you know what i mean.

He was not a truth machine and his variety wasn't good enough. Take away his left hook and the job was pretty much done. It was frustrating watching him at times because he did have certain tools to achieve more. He didn't fight with a sense of urgency.
slip&counter is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2012, 01:14 PM   #32
gregor
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webbiano View Post
Tua fought the right people at the wrong time, as well as the wrong people at the wrong time
Did you mean he fought Maskaev and Moorer when they didn't have belts? Well, I could agree with Moorer, but Maskaev with a bit more experience as a pro had good chance to make it to the final bell and get an UD over Tua. Also, two times he fought "wrong" (stylewise) opponent (Rahman), he got a help from judges/referee, so he had not only bad luck during his career.
gregor is offline  Top
Old 07-17-2012, 01:29 PM   #33
luke
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

he could have beaten Holyfield and John Ruiz for the WBA strap easily. I wouldnt put it past him to KO RJjr for the WBA strap either, the WBC might have been just a push past him, stylewise and for the fact of who was holding it, but anytime from 1995- 2003 i dont see him not beating at least one of the WBO champs, maybe Vitali and Akinwande would have been very bad for him, the IBF in 96/97 could have been his if he got a shot at Michael Moorer.

not saying hewas in contention for any if not all of these fights but i think if things had gone differently he would have been a champ.

If don king had him in the mid/late 1990's he would have been matched alot easyer and deffo been a world champ
luke is offline  Top
Old 07-17-2012, 01:35 PM   #34
luke
Contender
ESB Senior Member

andrew golota got 3 title shots in a row, to each of the 3 main sanctioning bodys, losing all shots, if tua had been in a similar position think about it.
luke is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2012, 01:11 AM   #35
AnthonyJ74
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
I gained 15-20 pounds of muscle between 19 and 23.

Joe Louis was 181 at 19.

Ali was 192.

Holmes was 190.

So, no.
Tyson weighed how much at 19??? Huh? Huh? Say it! Say it! One point for me!
AnthonyJ74 is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2012, 02:02 AM   #36
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ74 View Post
Tyson weighed how much at 19??? Huh? Huh? Say it! Say it! One point for me!
errr... Tyson was 200 pounds at 17 years old.

No points for you.
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2012, 01:30 PM   #37
moesizlak
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Good doc

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhFKvu7AJQQ&feature=related[/ame]
moesizlak is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2012, 01:36 PM   #38
TheGreatA
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
201 at 19 years old. He was still a boy.

I saw him spar after the Ruiz fight. He was a total block of granite. No way, no how he could have gotten under 200 during his prime.

That said, the mid-220's were his best weight. Coming into the Lewis fight at 247 was just stupid.
He weighed 210 lbs mere months before icing Ruiz.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJyGgPhkLwQ[/ame]

I wouldn't say he was ripped to shreds here either. I imagine he could've made 200 lbs if he really tried, but the limit in his day was 190 lbs which is a weight he couldn't have sensibly made.
TheGreatA is offline  Top
Old 07-19-2012, 12:51 AM   #39
AnthonyJ74
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatA View Post
He weighed 210 lbs mere months before icing Ruiz.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

I wouldn't say he was ripped to shreds here either. I imagine he could've made 200 lbs if he really tried, but the limit in his day was 190 lbs which is a weight he couldn't have sensibly made.
But it is amazing how well Tua carried 225-235 pounds on his 5'9" frame . I mean, he's the same height as James Toney, but Toney looked vastly different than Tua at 230 pounds. There's a lot of tall heavyweights that don't carry weight well. Look at Larry Holmes at 233 or so. He was sort of flabby and oblong; short Tua at 233 looked more solid!

But I agree; no reason Tua couldn't drop down to 200 pounds or so if he really wanted to.
AnthonyJ74 is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2012, 05:39 PM   #40
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Tua would have had a better chance of beating Lewis had he came in lighter. However, Lewis would always have tamed Tua. But he was at his fighting peak between 96-98.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2012, 05:58 AM   #41
jehu
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

If tua signed with don king after main events he would have won a tittle or at least had 3 shots at one, At the time kevin barry was protecting his money train knowing if tua signed to don he would be cut so he steered tua and his family to america presents as he would have more control, it was a big thing in NZ at the time and I remeber how he slimed his family. Islanders over here were like aww this nice white man looking after our boy, do what the man say david ... that a good boy. Too trusting and just dont know how things work.
jehu is offline  Top
Old 07-23-2012, 03:33 AM   #42
sauhund II
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke View Post
he could have beaten Holyfield and John Ruiz for the WBA strap easily. I wouldnt put it past him to KO RJjr for the WBA strap either, the WBC might have been just a push past him, stylewise and for the fact of who was holding it, but anytime from 1995- 2003 i dont see him not beating at least one of the WBO champs, maybe Vitali and Akinwande would have been very bad for him, the IBF in 96/97 could have been his if he got a shot at Michael Moorer.

not saying hewas in contention for any if not all of these fights but i think if things had gone differently he would have been a champ.

If don king had him in the mid/late 1990's he would have been matched alot easyer and deffo been a world champ
Tua got owned badly by a aging Holyfield in sparring.....I mean bitchslapped bad......no way in hell is the One Trick Pony Tua beating Holyfield ever.
sauhund II is offline  Top
Old 07-23-2012, 08:38 AM   #43
luke
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauhund II View Post
Tua got owned badly by a aging Holyfield in sparring.....I mean bitchslapped bad......no way in hell is the One Trick Pony Tua beating Holyfield ever.
that was in 96/97 wasnt it?
luke is offline  Top
Old 07-23-2012, 10:09 AM   #44
Muchmoore

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke View Post
that was in 96/97 wasnt it?
It was in prep for the Tyson fights so yeah.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG7TafdrRsY[/ame]
Old 07-23-2012, 10:22 AM   #45
Legend X
Belt holder
ESB Addict

He was an excellent power puncher, and strong as an ox and durable ... but his lack of height and reach would always have caused him problems at HW. He just didn't have the boxing ability to compensate.
Even for guys like Tyson and Frazier and Marciano - who were more intelligent as boxers and stalkers, imo - the lack of height and reach could be a handicap.
Tua didn't help matters by going up to 245, 250 pounds. He would have been better staying in the 215 - 230 range. He can'[t afford to lose half a step through carrying a little too much.
Legend X is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum