Old 07-20-2012, 11:25 PM   #16
Saintpat
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jerry Quarry vs. Ernie Shavers, 1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacklondon View Post
Here is quite a story on Ron Stander today, the man who upset Shavers in 1970, and it shows what a dirty business boxing really is. He's living from hand to mouth, trying to scrounge up a buck or two to supplement his social security. Boxing has no pension plan, no nothing - except for the Don Kings and all the other boxing mobsters, and the very few top guys. Everybody else is on their own and nobody cares.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Very few people in any profession have pensions when they retire in their 30s, as most boxers do.

I'd reckon Ron Stander made not much more than $100,000 in his entire career. He retired at age 38 and wasn't really fighting regular the last two years. He was free to put money away or set up a retirement fund that could have drawn interest and chose not to do so. How much do you figure he should get a month, and starting at what age? Used car salesmen don't get pensions either, nor do construction workers or a lot of other people in a lot of fields.

Ron was free to start a career in another field at any point, either during his boxing years or at age 39.

I'm 48 years old. If I had decided to stop working 10 years ago, I wouldn't expect to have banked much by way of a pension to draw upon.

I don't think Don King gets a pension unless it's from money he put away. Managers don't get pensions either.

Boxers know all this and choose to fight. If their concern is a good retirement plan, they can start putting away money in their youth, forego the boxing career and get in the workforce at an earlier age or start a career outside the ring when they hang up the gloves.
Saintpat is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2012, 12:13 AM   #17
MMJoe
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacklondon View Post
Before this fight Shavers was 33-0 with 32 KO's! Ultimately he had 69 KO's out of 75 wins. He was also bigger than Quarry. Was Quarry intimidated? Ha!

KO round one!

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Correction: Going into the Quarry fight Shavers was 46-2 45 KO's
MMJoe is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2012, 09:35 AM   #18
Senor Pepe'
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

The Skinny

Friday Night - December 14, 1973 (Madison Square Garden)

Earnie Shavers
Nickname. 'The Black Destroyer'
Age......... 28 years, 4 months
Height...... 6' 0 1/2"
Weight..... 210 lbs.
Record..... 46-2-0 (45 KO's)
Ranking.... #6

Earnie was riding a '34-bout' (33 KO's) 3 1/2 year unbeaten streak.

His last loss (L TKO 5) was to Ron Stander in Omaha, Nebraska (May 11, 1970).

Earnie was supposed to fight Jerry Quarry in September 1973 at Madison Square Garden,
but Earnie suffered a 'broken jaw' in a sparring session with Jeff 'Candy Slim' Merrit
in August 1973 (2-weeks) before the scheduled bout.

Earnie was 'Hot and On Fire', with '3' impressive knockouts in 1973.
* KO 1.. Jimmy Ellis
* KO 1.. Harold Carter
* KO 3.. Jimmy Young

There were some who questioned the 'legitamacy' of all of "Earnie's Knockouts" - as to what names were
on the list, and that many of his opponents were really 'walking stiffs' instead of 'live opponents'.

Last edited by Senor Pepe'; 07-21-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Senor Pepe' is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2012, 10:37 AM   #19
jacklondon
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMJoe View Post
Correction: Going into the Quarry fight Shavers was 46-2 45 KO's

Thanks - but I already corrected myself. See post 9.
jacklondon is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2012, 10:46 AM   #20
jacklondon
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Saintpat - Good points - and Stander himself admits that he drank, and what all else, his money away, as do so many ex-boxers, who are mostly not exactly drawn from the intellectual elite, but what about medical coverage or any type of protection at all? Other athletes have it. Boxing is a very high injury sport, but if a boxer gets hurt and can't fight any more he's just out on the street. I don't think that boxers can even get workmans comp or unemployment insurance. They've been talking about this for a long time but nothing is ever done.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:13 AM   #21
Senor Pepe'
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Win or Lose

Earnie Shavers did try for a 1st Round Knockout against Jerry Quarry,
and offered up 'no excuses'.

And for this who think Earnie couldn't take a punch, 'The Black Destroyer' took some
frightening bombs 'flush' before going down.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:21 PM   #22
Libertine
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 75

Imo Shavers chin wasnt that bad, he just had a poor recovery rate
Libertine is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2012, 02:38 PM   #23
jowcol
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I'm a HUGE Quarry fan but IMO this fight is forever an anamoly to me.
Earlier in 73, Quarry looked in great shape and chiseled against Lyle in February.
Against Earnie, he was a tad 'pear-shaped' (consider the drug-alcohol thing surrounding Jerry at the time)
Even with all his fights prior, Shavers can still be regarded as a tad green going into that fight.
A scant two months later, Jerry gets clocked by journeyman Joe Alexander and is almost out of there (what if Earnie had laid a similar Sunday shot on Jerry in December?) Forward: four months later we see a shot Jerry not even belonging in the ring with Smokin' Joe.
R.I.P. Jerry, your an ATG; I just think the Shavers result is a rather lucky notch on your gun belt so to speak.
My rather weak $0.02
jowcol is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2012, 03:05 PM   #24
Senor Pepe'
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Despite the run Earnie Shavers had been on up to mid-1973.

From August 1973 thru November 1974 - he was more-or-less 'a flop'.

First, he got his jaw 'broken and dislocated' by Jeff Merrit in an August 1973 sparring session.

Two, he got blasted out in 'One-Round' by Jerry Quarry (December 1973)

Three, the loss to Jerry Quarry put him out of action for 6-months, until he came back
with a win (KO 1) versus 'ham-and-egger' Roy 'Cookie' Wallace in May 1974, in San Diego.

Four, 6-months later he came back (November 4, 1974) and was decisioned (L Dec 10)
by a veteran 'trial-horse' with a sub .500 record in Bob Stallings (20-25-0), and was floored
and nearly stopped in the bout.

Five, 3-weeks later, he was held to a (Draw 10) by 195 lb. 'light-punching' Jimmy Young (13-4-1),
in a bout that he should have lost, and was nearly stopped in Rounds 8, 9 and 10.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:17 PM   #25
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

I had ringside seats for that fight and Shavers vs Ellis a few months before, I also was there for Quarry -Lyle.......Quarry-Shavers was a 1 rd fight that was worth the money
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2012, 03:41 PM   #26
manbearpig
A Scottish Noob
ESB Addict

vCash: 1185

**** jacklondon
manbearpig is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2012, 05:48 PM   #27
Senor Pepe'
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Jerry Quarry and Gil Clancy thought that they had 'injected' new life into Jerry's boxing career by scoring
the 1st Round 'Knockout' over Earnie Shavers.

But it really didn't.

The 28 1/2 year-old, 202 lb. Quarry (still showing 10 lbs. of a bicycle inner-tube side flab) drifted away from the ring.

Following the December 14, 1973 (KO 1) over Earnie Shavers, Jerry did not step back into the ring until
May 1974 (5 months later).

During that time, in early-1974, Jerry went back to California, and did some acting 'bit-parts' in Hollywood, and was also
the 'West-Coast' Tour Manager/Security for the Pop-Group '3-Dog Night'.

Last edited by Senor Pepe'; 07-21-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:21 PM   #28
kenmore
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra View Post
Quarry had balls the size of Everest in this fight....Clancy was screaming "box him...box him", but **** no,..Jerry wanted that ko, lol..
Quarry boxed quite well for the first 45 or 50 seconds. He moves on his feet, dodges blows, and counters with fast rights. At about the 1:08 mark Quarry lands a booming left hook to the body, and after that, comes off his feet to slug. Seconds later, Shavers misses big with a right -- usually a tell tale sign that a fighter is dazed -- and Quarry unloads his fight-ending offensive.

I couldn't tell which of Quarry's punches was the decisive blow that put Ernie on queer street. Was it the left hook to the gut, or a head shot?
kenmore is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2012, 07:24 PM   #29
kenmore
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowcol View Post
I'm
Against Earnie, he was a tad 'pear-shaped' (consider the drug-alcohol thing surrounding Jerry at the time)
I don't believe that there was a "drug/alcohol" issue with Quarry in 1973. Those problems happened after 1975, when he was retired. I don't know where you obtained information suggesting otherwise.
kenmore is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2012, 07:28 PM   #30
jacklondon
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Jerry Quarry and Gil Clancy thought that they had 'injected' new life into Jerry's boxing career by scoring
the 1st Round 'Knockout' over Earnie Shavers.

But it really didn't.

The 28 1/2 year-old, 202 lb. Quarry (still showing 10 lbs. of a bicycle inner-tube side flab) drifted away from the ring.

--- I don't see any, as you put it, "inner tube side flab" on him.

Following the December 14, 1973 (KO 1) over Earnie Shavers, Jerry did not step back into the ring until
May 1974 (5 months later).

--- So what is so unusual about a five month layoff between fights? He fought 5 months later and then, just a month after that, he fought Frazier.

During that time, in early-1974, Jerry went back to California, and did some acting 'bit-parts' in Hollywood, and was also
the 'West-Coast' Tour Manager/Security for the Pop-Group '3-Dog Night'.[/quote]

--- So what?

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum