Old 07-21-2012, 07:31 PM   #31
jacklondon
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Jerry Quarry vs. Ernie Shavers, 1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor Pepe' View Post

Five, 3-weeks later, he was held to a (Draw 10) by 195 lb. 'light-punching' Jimmy Young (13-4-1),
in a bout that he should have lost, and was nearly stopped in Rounds 8, 9 and 10.

Light punching Jimmy Young also in reality beat Cassius Clay, another one of Clay's very many spurious wins.
jacklondon is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2012, 07:35 PM   #32
kenmore
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacklondon View Post

During that time, in early-1974, Jerry went back to California, and did some acting 'bit-parts' in Hollywood, and was also
the 'West-Coast' Tour Manager/Security for the Pop-Group '3-Dog Night'.
--- So what?[/quote]

Jack London:

Who posted this misinformation about Quarry doing security for 3 Dog Night in 1974? I'm certain that it's untrue. Quarry did that kind of work following his 1975 retirement, but not beforehand.

Someone here has Quarry's biography chronologically out of order.
kenmore is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2012, 07:36 PM   #33
kenmore
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I don't think Quarry looks fat or out of shape for the Shavers fight. He's not cut like Holyfield, true, but that doesn't mean he's poorly conditioned.
kenmore is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2012, 07:38 PM   #34
kenmore
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Light punching Jimmy Young also in reality beat Cassius Clay, another one of Clay's very many spurious wins.
True. In 1974, Young was vastly underrated. Not long afterwards, in early 1975, Young whipped top rated Ron Lyle. That tells us how good Young really was.

It's not remarkable that Shavers struggled with Young in 1974.
kenmore is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2012, 08:07 PM   #35
jacklondon
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmore View Post
--- So what?
Quote:
Jack London:

Who posted this misinformation about Quarry doing security for 3 Dog Night in 1974? I'm certain that it's untrue. Quarry did that kind of work following his 1975 retirement, but not beforehand.

Someone here has Quarry's biography chronologically out of order.

Not me. I have no idea when he did that gig, tho I could look it up. You can see the guy that posted it right above, the guy that said Quarry had "side flab". I don't even know what that guy's point was supposed to be.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:18 PM   #36
kenmore
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Not me. I have no idea when he did that gig, tho I could look it up. You can see the guy that posted it right above, the guy that said Quarry had "side flab". I don't even know what that guy's point was supposed to be.
I've got a lot of people in this forum on ignore, so I don't see everyone's post. Anyway, the stories about Quarry's debauchery are true; even he admitted so. But it's well known that the wild partying didn't start until after Quarry retired in 1975. During his fighting days, Jerry was spartan and well conditioned.
kenmore is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2012, 09:51 PM   #37
Senor Pepe'
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
--- So what?
Jack London:

Someone here has Quarry's biography chronologically out of order.[/quote]

Jerry worked for 'Three Dog Night' on the 'West-coast and Las Vegas only' in February, March and April 1974.

He went to work for them 'full-time' in 1975.
Senor Pepe' is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2012, 09:57 PM   #38
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
1)young didn't win, he ran, he hid, he ****ed about

2)young is debate, norton 3 is debatable...that's it. norton 2 was clear as day, shavers was close but clear. what was spurious?
Nightcrawler is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2012, 11:14 AM   #39
jacklondon
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcrawler View Post
1)young didn't win, he ran, he hid, he ****ed about

You're talking through your ass. You're just saying something because you like the way it sounds. Young won that fight, just one of many many crooked so-called wins for hype job Clay-Ali.

You can watch the fight right here and see if I'm right or this guy who says Young "ran, he hid, he ****ed about" is right - and listen to the overwhelming boos from the crowd at the end after the ex-cons dressed up in judge suits rendered their phony decision! Also note the elation in Jimmy Young's corner and the sadness in Clay's corner before the phony decision.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4psfN2P48U&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited by jacklondon; 07-22-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:15 AM   #40
jacklondon
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
I've got a lot of people in this forum on ignore, so I don't see everyone's post. Anyway, the stories about Quarry's debauchery are true; even he admitted so. But it's well known that the wild partying didn't start until after Quarry retired in 1975. During his fighting days, Jerry was spartan and well conditioned.

Good plan. I've just got a few so far.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:23 AM   #41
greynotsoold
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Quarry boxed quite well for the first 45 or 50 seconds. He moves on his feet, dodges blows, and counters with fast rights. At about the 1:08 mark Quarry lands a booming left hook to the body, and after that, comes off his feet to slug. Seconds later, Shavers misses big with a right -- usually a tell tale sign that a fighter is dazed -- and Quarry unloads his fight-ending offensive.

I couldn't tell which of Quarry's punches was the decisive blow that put Ernie on queer street. Was it the left hook to the gut, or a head shot?
I think that nice left hand to the belly hurt Shavers, it has to hurt to get hit like that. The one that really got him was a right to the head a few seconds before Shavers went back into the ropes. It looks like Quarry landed that right hand, Shavers ducked and it took a few seconds for it to hit him.
greynotsoold is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2012, 11:29 AM   #42
jacklondon
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
I think that nice left hand to the belly hurt Shavers, it has to hurt to get hit like that. The one that really got him was a right to the head a few seconds before Shavers went back into the ropes. It looks like Quarry landed that right hand, Shavers ducked and it took a few seconds for it to hit him.

Super finsihing job by Quarry once he hurt him. Quarry was in top shape for that fight.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:50 AM   #43
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Shavers fought stupid ... he threw caution to the wind and Quarry, tough as nails and dangerous as hell early caught him ... a controlled Shavers might have defeated him but you are not taking Gerry out fast and early ... too tough ...
he grant is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2012, 02:04 PM   #44
Sardu
RIP Mr. Bun: 2007-2012
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quarry met and befriended Chuck Negron, one of the three lead vocalists for early 70's hugely popular band: Three Dog Night (the other two being Danny Hutton and Cory Wells) in southern California in 1972. Make no mistake about it Jerry was always a California kid despite moving to NYC for awhile to train with Gil Clancy - who resided on Long Island.

After losing to Ali in 72' Quarry took up with the band and went on the road with them until about the fall of that year. At this time he got the itch to box again and starting training for his first comeback. Remember, he was a wealthy young man in 1972 and after the Ali fight in June he announced his first retirement. He was perceived to be an old 27 given the wars he had engaged in in already.

This info is all in Quarry's bio called "Hard Luck" which you pick up on amazon.

He admitted to some partying (ie: drinking and cocaine use) but nothing like the band was engaging in. He knew he had to distance himself if he wanted to keep fighting. Later, he became an excellent boxing anaylst for CBS sports. Alongside people like Tom Brookshier and Brent Mustberger.

Funny story about Jerry and Brookie drinking in a bar in Rome in 1976. They were there to announce a title fight. Jerry jumped into his Porshe and drove it into the Coliseum.
Sardu is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2012, 02:50 PM   #45
Senor Pepe'
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I will say one thing,

Jerry Quarry was in 'decent shape' for the Earnie Shavers at Madison Square Garden in
December 1973,

But he was 'routinely' behaving badly at 'Dugan's Pub' and 'McSorley's Ale House' in New York City
leading up to that fight. Jerry was training in New York for 6-weeks prior to that fight, and Jerry and Company
usually hit Dugan's Pub every night at 6:00 PM.

Jerry at 202 lbs. (for Earnie Shavers') was about 7 to 10 lbs. over his 'prime fighting weight, and was a bit 'flabby'.

The rumor going around before the fight, was that Jerry had been 'boozing it up' pretty good and staying out late.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Senor Pepe' is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum