Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-22-2012, 02:55 PM   #46
Sardu
RIP Mr. Bun: 2007-2012
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jerry Quarry vs. Ernie Shavers, 1973

Ah, yes Dugan's is mentioned in Jerry's bio "Hard Luck." Just said that he and his at the time wife Arlene (Charlie) celebrated with the fans after the Shavers bout. Wow, he was boozing it up even before that fight? What an incorrigible good time Charlie he was huh?!
Sardu is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2012, 03:06 PM   #47
MMJoe
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Imo Shavers chin wasnt that bad, he just had a poor recovery rate
A poor recovery rate? OMG Who are you, Earnie's mom?
MMJoe is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2012, 03:15 PM   #48
Senor Pepe'
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Does anybody have the fight purses of this December 1973 bout.

I think Jerry Quarry got $125,000, and Earnie was to get $85,000.
Senor Pepe' is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2012, 08:33 PM   #49
Curtis Lowe
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowcol View Post
I'm a HUGE Quarry fan but IMO this fight is forever an anamoly to me.
Earlier in 73, Quarry looked in great shape and chiseled against Lyle in February.
Against Earnie, he was a tad 'pear-shaped' (consider the drug-alcohol thing surrounding Jerry at the time)
Even with all his fights prior, Shavers can still be regarded as a tad green going into that fight.
A scant two months later, Jerry gets clocked by journeyman Joe Alexander and is almost out of there (what if Earnie had laid a similar Sunday shot on Jerry in December?) Forward: four months later we see a shot Jerry not even belonging in the ring with Smokin' Joe.
R.I.P. Jerry, your an ATG; I just think the Shavers result is a rather lucky notch on your gun belt so to speak.
My rather weak $0.02
I agree with everything here except the Shavers fight. Jerry could just about always beat a undisiplined slugger.

Vs Lyle, Quarry was toned and ready to fight, vs Shavers a case of the love handles.

Jerry was always inconsistent, you never new which Jerry was going to show up.

He really did look awful vs Joe Alexander. And looked completely shot vs Frazier, as he did vs Norton. A terrible beating Quarry took in 2nd Frazier fight and Norton fight.
Curtis Lowe is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2012, 08:54 PM   #50
Senor Pepe'
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Jerry Quarry

Too many wars, too many fights, and too many punches.

The 'One-Round Knockout' over Earnie Shavers, was a saving grace.

Jerry was 'cooked' before that bout, and he was lucky to catch Earnie cold.

After that fight, it would have been the 'perfect note' to retire on.

If Gil Clancy and Teddy Brenner couldn't get a Heavyweight Title shot versus
George Foreman for Jerry, nobody else was.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:42 PM   #51
kenmore
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
I think that nice left hand to the belly hurt Shavers, it has to hurt to get hit like that. The one that really got him was a right to the head a few seconds before Shavers went back into the ropes. It looks like Quarry landed that right hand, Shavers ducked and it took a few seconds for it to hit him.
Agreed. Quarry didn't tear recklessly into Shavers; he was boxing and countering at first. Obviously, at some point, he noticed that Shavers was hurt. At that point Jerry changed gears and moved in for the kill.

Incidentally, there's a second film of the fight on youtube. That one shows the action from a different angle. In that film, I think I noticed Shavers wobbled by a left hook to the head, and seconds later, he retreated to the ropes in disarray. That hook came after the original left hook to the body.
kenmore is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2012, 10:48 PM   #52
kenmore
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardu View Post
Quarry met and befriended Chuck Negron, one of the three lead vocalists for early 70's hugely popular band: Three Dog Night (the other two being Danny Hutton and Cory Wells) in southern California in 1972. Make no mistake about it Jerry was always a California kid despite moving to NYC for awhile to train with Gil Clancy - who resided on Long Island.

After losing to Ali in 72' Quarry took up with the band and went on the road with them until about the fall of that year. At this time he got the itch to box again and starting training for his first comeback. Remember, he was a wealthy young man in 1972 and after the Ali fight in June he announced his first retirement. He was perceived to be an old 27 given the wars he had engaged in in already.

This info is all in Quarry's bio called "Hard Luck" which you pick up on amazon.

He admitted to some partying (ie: drinking and cocaine use) but nothing like the band was engaging in. He knew he had to distance himself if he wanted to keep fighting. Later, he became an excellent boxing anaylst for CBS sports. Alongside people like Tom Brookshier and Brent Mustberger.

Funny story about Jerry and Brookie drinking in a bar in Rome in 1976. They were there to announce a title fight. Jerry jumped into his Porshe and drove it into the Coliseum.
But again, there's no evidence that Jerry was boozing and partying during his 1973-74 campaigns. I don't know why people here believe otherwise.

Jerry was downcast after losing to Ali in in June 1972, and for the rest of that year, was inactive. I wouldn't be surprised if Jerry was not training at the time. Maybe he indeed partied then.

But by early 1973, Quarry was training in NYC under Gil Clancy and was soon putting on peak performances again. I have never heard anyone claim, or read anything to the effect, that he was partying during his comeback.

After losing to Norton in 1975, of course, Quarry may have been partying a lot. But he was retired at that point, so the post-career wild life comes as no surprise.
kenmore is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2012, 11:57 PM   #53
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Quarry was pretty savvy at that point but never really slick, it was his solid chin that allowed him to mix with the big slow sluggers, Shavers,Mac Foster, Thad Spencer, Ron Lyle, I think Quarry was confident walking into those fights but had his doubts when he fought Ali and Frazier it was a mental thing and the fact that Frazier and Ali were Great and Quarry was very good....I was ringside for Quarry-Mac Foster-Shavers,Lyle,Alexander and they were all good fights that Quarry dominated...funny but Alexander caught Quarry cold with a fantastic hook ( Joe A could whack) but Quarry jumped up and starched Alexander a round or so later. Jerry always got hit but he always answered back and he was very effective against the big strong guys....by the time he fought Norton he was shot, his drug habit (COCAINE) and alcohol abuse caught up to him and he admitted he did not train at all for the Norton fight just prostituted himself for the payday.

Jerry loved fighting the big strong punchers, He shook Lyle and made him fight a survivors fight, body and head took out Mac Foster, he went right to Earnie and fought Shavers fight and beat him at it. ( Earnie could fight no other way) but Shavers could not match Jerry chin for chin and that made the difference. Styles make fights and I always wanted to see Quarry vs Foreman...I thought Jerry had a good chance with a smart fight to KO Big George but I think George saw the same thing because he stayed clear of Jerry. Jerry was a very good fighter once he got past the green stage
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 07-23-2012, 08:49 AM   #54
Senor Pepe'
Belt holder
ESB Addict

If you look closely,

Jerry first hurt Earnie with a right hook off the forehead at 1:11 of the round (1:18 on the video tape in Post #1),
Earnie who had been pressing Jerry, immediately stopped moving forward, as he was stunned.

Jerry didn't realize it at first, but then saw Earnie react in a 'delayed action'.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:40 AM   #55
kenmore
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis View Post
Quarry was pretty savvy at that point but never really slick, it was his solid chin that allowed him to mix with the big slow sluggers, Shavers,Mac Foster, Thad Spencer, Ron Lyle, I think Quarry was confident walking into those fights but had his doubts when he fought Ali and Frazier it was a mental thing and the fact that Frazier and Ali were Great and Quarry was very good....I was ringside for Quarry-Mac Foster-Shavers,Lyle,Alexander and they were all good fights that Quarry dominated...funny but Alexander caught Quarry cold with a fantastic hook ( Joe A could whack) but Quarry jumped up and starched Alexander a round or so later. Jerry always got hit but he always answered back and he was very effective against the big strong guys....by the time he fought Norton he was shot, his drug habit (COCAINE) and alcohol abuse caught up to him and he admitted he did not train at all for the Norton fight just prostituted himself for the payday.

e
So you are saying that you know, for a fact, that Quarry's drug and alcohol abuse began long before his 1975 retirement?
kenmore is offline  Top
Old 07-23-2012, 11:09 AM   #56
Lord Tywin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmore View Post
Agreed. Quarry didn't tear recklessly into Shavers; he was boxing and countering at first. Obviously, at some point, he noticed that Shavers was hurt. At that point Jerry changed gears and moved in for the kill.

Incidentally, there's a second film of the fight on youtube. That one shows the action from a different angle. In that film, I think I noticed Shavers wobbled by a left hook to the head, and seconds later, he retreated to the ropes in disarray. That hook came after the original left hook to the body.

Whats the link for the alternate version?
Lord Tywin is offline  Top
Old 07-23-2012, 05:28 PM   #57
jowcol
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Lowe View Post
I agree with everything here except the Shavers fight. Jerry could just about always beat a undisiplined slugger.
Vs Lyle, Quarry was toned and ready to fight, vs Shavers a case of the love handles.
Jerry was always inconsistent, you never new which Jerry was going to show up.
He really did look awful vs Joe Alexander. And looked completely shot vs Frazier, as he did vs Norton. A terrible beating Quarry took in 2nd Frazier fight and Norton fight.
Good points Curtis!
I love Jerry but he was fried after 73. IMO an early retirement after Shavers would have enhanced his career legacy.
Too many fights, too many punches (but that's the way it is with all fighters)
And to Kenmore, and other posters, that see Jerry in 73 as having ANY shot against the emerging Foreman...forget it. George would have had him reeling early on.
I've said this before but, despite Quarry's record, his KO% against top contenders is somewhat low and no one could knock out George (forget Zaire, forget Lyle, who he would have put into a queer-street puddle within two rounds prior to Ali's brain shot)
R.I.P. Jerry, you're an ATG.
jowcol is offline  Top
Old 07-23-2012, 06:48 PM   #58
Senor Pepe'
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Jerry Quarry

A real good guy, who could have went far as a Boxing Announcer on CBS.

The 'pinnacle of his career', was Knocking Out (KO 1) Earnie Shavers in December 1973.

Gil Clancy knew Jerry was 'damaged goods' and was not staying in good boxing shape,
as well as behaving badly (partying too much).

If they couldn't have signed up to fight for the Heavyweight Championship, to get some
decent money, he should have retired.

The KO 1 over Earnie Shavers, was a 'deceptive' victory.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:04 AM   #59
Legend X
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Probably his best win.
But I agree, the 1 round KO didn't say much as to whether or how far Quarry had slipped at all.

Shavers just got caught. I guess he went in there as the big bad puncher and didn't expect to get hit by anything as hard as that right away. He probably thought Quarry was run around a bit.
Legend X is offline  Top
Old 07-24-2012, 10:12 AM   #60
Senor Pepe'
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Despite what Jerry had done prior to the bout with Earnie Shavers,

The word going around in New York that Jerry was 'paunchy' and 'punch drunk'.

Again, that "KO 1" victory over Earnie, hid the fact that Jerry was really worn out.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum