Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 07-22-2012, 02:02 PM   #46
Primenal
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Will Hector Lombard live up to his hype come Saturday night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Floyd View Post
Not quite. Alexander Shlemenko isn't exactly a scrub. Nor are sturdy vets like Ebersole or Doerksen.

It also appears that it is incredibly difficult to take him down, and if you do, he is a very solid grappler. Plus, he is a olympian Judoka. He chooses to box since he has huge power, but it's not like he is just a limited brawler. Also, I think his gas tank is pretty much fine. I don't recall any fights where he gassed badly.
I agree with this, but don't understand what the hell he was trying to do yesterday? Explode once a round with something, and win it? Perhaps the guy thinks they would just give him the win since he's so built up. Oh well, his winning streak ended, I'm sure his confidence is hurt, his hunger is hopefully reignited, and perhaps he'll fight like he was originally suppose to fight in his next fight... Assuming Dana gives him another one.
Primenal is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2012, 02:10 PM   #47
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 847

He looked pretty much exactly the same in the Falaniko Vitale fight until this happened in the third

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH1Vb_tPM5E[/ame]
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2012, 02:34 PM   #48
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynchburg View Post
You really don't like him do you Scurla.

He is a former Pride vet

However, rumour on the street is that he is a cunt!

Lynchburg
And both times he lost in PRIDE. Gegard and Gono. I don't have any time for Hector. He made a career crushing nobody's in Bellator and when not doing that he spends his time talking shit about other guys. The man's completely irrelevant on the world scene. I mean FFS he's a 5ft 7 judoka on steroids. I love the way the UFC inflated his height to 5ft 10. Thats some prime WWE bullshit right there.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2012, 02:37 PM   #49
Matty lll
Sweet Scientist
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
And both times he lost in PRIDE. Gegard and Gono. I don't have any time for Hector. He made a career crushing nobody's in Bellator and when not doing that he spends his time talking shit about other guys. The man's completely irrelevant on the world scene. I mean FFS he's a 5ft 7 judoka on steroids. I love the way the UFC inflated his height to 5ft 10. Thats some prime WWE bullshit right there.
You really don't like him Scurla

He does look pretty strange, I think he should lose some muscle mass and drop to 170.
Matty lll is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2012, 02:43 PM   #50
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty lll View Post
You really don't like him Scurla

He does look pretty strange, I think he should lose some muscle mass and drop to 170.
He looks ****ing ridiculous. Them short stubby lugs with that huge wide upper body. And them retarded tats on his legs like he's a spartan. Dudes your classic MMA gear head. Let him drop to 170. Put him in with Diaz or Alves dude would get tooled into oblivion. There's only one way his career is headed in the UFC and thats straight back to the D League.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:48 PM   #51
Matty lll
Sweet Scientist
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
He looks ****ing ridiculous. Them short stubby lugs with that huge wide upper body. And them retarded tats on his legs like he's a spartan. Dudes your classic MMA gear head. Let him drop to 170. Put him in with Diaz or Alves dude would get tooled into oblivion. There's only one way his career is headed in the UFC and thats straight back to the D League.
Oh Scurla

You may well be right, if his last fight is anything to go by then you are right but I'm not calling him a flop just yet. Call it nerves or whatever but I think he's capable of better, exactly how much better I don't know but better than that.

He would get abused like a ginger step-child against Anderson Silva though.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:53 PM   #52
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty lll View Post
Oh Scurla

You may well be right, if his last fight is anything to go by then you are right but I'm not calling him a flop just yet. Call it nerves or whatever but I think he's capable of better, exactly how much better I don't know but better than that.

He would get abused like a ginger step-child against Anderson Silva though.
Its not nerves. Thats how he always fights. Rogan didn't have a clue what he was talking about last night. Him and Goldberg were simply talking shit. Anyone can look like a world beater knocking out cans and guys no ones ever heard of. But this is a the big leagues.
I remember watching this guy back in PRIDE and thought he was going to be someone as he had heavy hands and was one of the best Judoka's in the world at his weight. But he looked extremely average vs Gono and likewise the same vs Gegard. He also fights in a division where he's literally a midget. If you can't beat the likes of Gono or Gegard you're going nowhere in the big leagues point blank.
I can't believe anyone thought Lombard Silva would be anything remotely close to competitive.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:00 PM   #53
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I really don't see losing to Gegard as a terrible thing at all. He is excellent. And that Lombard's tenth fight. Six years ago. And Gono had a massive experience advantage over him, and has always been a solid fighter, so I don't really see that one as a terrible loss either.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:06 PM   #54
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I wonder how people would look at Lombard had all of these fights taken place in the UFC. I'm not saying these are all fantastic wins, but his streak isn't as awful as some people like to make it out to be.

James Te Huna
Brian Ebersole
Kalib Starnes
Jay Silva
Alexander Shlemenko
Joe Doerkson
Jesse Taylor
Trevor Prangley
Old 07-22-2012, 03:06 PM   #55
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
I really don't see losing to Gegard as a terrible thing at all. He is excellent. And that Lombard's tenth fight. Six years ago. And Gono had a massive experience advantage over him, and has always been a solid fighter, so I don't really see that one as a terrible loss either.
They're not terrible losses. But they prove his level. Gegard is a good fighter. But he's not close the best at 205. Same is true of Gono who was a gatekeeper at best and a career welter/lightweight. If you can't beat guys like that you have no business talking about Silva. I mean c'mon this is a guy that said he wanted to fight Josh Barnett.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:08 PM   #56
Matty lll
Sweet Scientist
ESB Addict

I agree Rob_Floyd
Old 07-22-2012, 04:40 PM   #57
Kittikasem
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I wonder how people would look at Lombard had all of these fights taken place in the UFC. I'm not saying these are all fantastic wins, but his streak isn't as awful as some people like to make it out to be.

James Te Huna
Brian Ebersole
Kalib Starnes
Jay Silva
Alexander Shlemenko
Joe Doerkson
Jesse Taylor
Trevor Prangley
Seriously?

Lombard was one or two fights from a UFC title shot before last night. You seriously think that list of wins achieved over a five-year period would be sufficient to have someone one to two fights away from a title shot, legitimately? I think this list does equate to 'awful', if we are talking from the perspective of a legit title contender.

Even if that list had been achieved back-to-back rather than spaced out over a period as long as five years, the quality of opponent still wouldn't have been sufficient to put him anywhere near a title shot.

I mean, that's eight fights without a single top 10 guy in his division, probably none of them were even top 30 at the time.

Look at George Sotiropolous. He has 7 UFC wins on the spin, yet he was still nowhere close to a title shot before his comp level got stepped up and he got battered by Dennis Siver (who also never made it to legit contender status, getting battered when his comp level got stepped up vs Donald Cerrone, another guy who hasn't quite yet made it to title challenger status).

Sotiropolous beat a run of guys that included Roop, Lauzon, Joe Stevenson and Kurt Pellegrino. If you compare that to some of the elite lightweights of the same time-period, Frankie Edgar was beating BJ Penn, Gray Maynard and Sean Sherk. BJ Penn was beating Kenny Florian, Sean Sherk and Diego Sanchez. Gray Maynard was beating Nate Diaz, Kenny Florian and Clay Guida. Ben Henderson was beating Frankie Edgar, Donald Cerrone, Jim Miller and Clay Guida.

If you compare Sotiropolous's wins to those of the legit title contenders, yes, it was awful, despite his consistent run of wins.

I think the same goes if you compare Lombard's res to the legit UFC title contenders of the last few years. Compared to theirs, his is awful and shouldn't have got him in the title discussion at all, in all fairness.
Kittikasem is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2012, 04:52 PM   #58
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Sotiropolous was very close to a number one contender fight before Siver, I'm pretty certain. I recall a lot of people even calling for a title shot if he beat Siver.

If Lombard had earned the decision over Boetsch last night, and then beat another top tenner, I don't think many people would complain if he got a title shot. Especially coming off of such a long streak. A streak that has some OK (not great, yes) names. Looked at Miguel Torres' if you want to see someone who built long undefeated runs on cans only.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:32 PM   #59
Lynchburg
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1449

Yeah I was up for George getting a shot after Siver... Sometimes these things don't work out.

I say give him Wandy, Leben or Harris next.

Lynchburg
Lynchburg is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2012, 07:30 PM   #60
chimba
Off the Somali Coast
East Side VIP

vCash: 800

Rob Floyd. That's an awful list. With that list, He should have gotten the same hype as Paulo Thiago.
chimba is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum