Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2012, 01:26 PM   #1
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,215
vCash: 1000
Default Was Watson on PEDs for the Eubank rematch?

Seeing how an already extremely strong and very fit fighter seemed to improve drastically physically between these two fights I can't really shake that suspicion. Anyone feel the same, and has there at anytime been something concrete to it?
Bokaj is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2012, 01:31 PM   #2
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,610
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Was Watson on PEDs for the Eubank rematch?

Sometimes fighters just benefit from moving up in weight
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:39 PM   #3
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,215
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Was Watson on PEDs for the Eubank rematch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Sometimes fighters just benefit from moving up in weight
That's true. He was huge at MW. Must have cost to get down in weight.

Eubank was arguably more suited for SMW too, though. So it should even itself out to a degree.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:21 PM   #4
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,610
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Was Watson on PEDs for the Eubank rematch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokaj View Post
That's true. He was huge at MW. Must have cost to get down in weight.

Eubank was arguably more suited for SMW too, though. So it should even itself out to a degree.
I don't think it was that Watson was necessarily stronger, he beat up Eubank because he was a better technician with a better defence

Watson should have got the decision in the first fight. He decided he wasn't getting a decision if he didn't box aggressively in the rematch, hence he came forward to hammer Eubank silly
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:27 PM   #5
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,555
vCash: 500
Default Re: Was Watson on PEDs for the Eubank rematch?

He seemed to still be improving as a ring-general and fighter, thus fought at a higher pace that took advantage of Eubank's relatively poor stamina.

Had Eubank ever actually been able to go a steady, hard fought 12 with an equally talented opponent without needing to take rounds off and dictate pace, it would probably have been another controversial razor-thin fight.
lora is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:42 PM   #6
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,215
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Was Watson on PEDs for the Eubank rematch?

Have only watched either fight once, but I just remember both his workrate and physical dominance as being much improved in the rematch.

Anyhow, if not for that devastating punch, what do you think that Watson could have gone on to do? In the form he was in that night (whether PEDs had anything to do with it or not), would you make any SMW at the time a favourite over him?
Bokaj is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:46 PM   #7
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,610
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Was Watson on PEDs for the Eubank rematch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokaj View Post
Have only watched either fight once, but I just remember both his workrate and physical dominance as being much improved in the rematch.

Anyhow, if not for that devastating punch, what do you think that Watson could have gone on to do? In the form he was in that night (whether PEDs had anything to do with it or not), would you make any SMW at the time a favourite over him?
Well McCallum would still beat him but it'd be closer with him being stronger at 168 and more experienced, McCallum ofcourse stuck to 160. Him against Toney and Nunn are interesting fights, I'm not sure where I stand on them.

He'd beat Benn again, Rochiagiani (don't let Bodhi see), Malinga

Faded smaller types in Kalambay and Bomber GRaham are other interesting contests. I think both are better prime for prime but both are smaller and faded

By '94 I'd pick him to give Jones a few problems and winning a few rounds before being broken down and I think he does better against Jones than most.

Him against McClellan, I think he could pull off the win because he has the tighter defence and maybe able to outjab and counter McClellan

Good interesting fights
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:03 PM   #8
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,555
vCash: 500
Default Re: Was Watson on PEDs for the Eubank rematch?

McCallum would get beat any time after the first Toney fight imo.

Especially if he was giving up or going up in weight.He'd still have his moments, but he was too sluggish by then not to get outworked.Would still have his moments and take rounds with some finesse of course, but there was less snap and authority in his punches than the weight drained Kalule by that point.

Beats everyone but Toney and Jones at 168 imo.
lora is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:50 PM   #9
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,215
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Was Watson on PEDs for the Eubank rematch?

Watched the two fights again, and the difference was in tactics, nothing else.

Take back my allegations of possible PEDs - it was just about Watson taking Eubank out of his comfort zone from the start in the rematch. By doing that he forced Eubank to punch when he really didn't want to, but had to in order to keep Watson off, and that made it easier for Watson to counter and find openings to the body. Ironically, he had to fight like a swarmer to get the most out of his abilities as a counter puncher. That was possible against Eubank, who had a tendency to get sloppy when not getting to pick and choose when to engage.

Ps. I scored the first fight for Watson this time around as well. Had him winning by 1 or 2 points. There were quite many close rounds, though, so a draw would not be unreasonable either. Eubank winning was hardly a scandal seing how close it was, but somewhat of a stretch in my opinion.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:51 PM   #10
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,215
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Was Watson on PEDs for the Eubank rematch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post
McCallum would get beat any time after the first Toney fight imo.


Especially if he was giving up or going up in weight.He'd still have his moments, but he was too sluggish by then not to get outworked.Would still have his moments and take rounds with some finesse of course, but there was less snap and authority in his punches than the weight drained Kalule by that point.


Beats everyone but Toney and Jones at 168 imo.
I'd say after the rematch, but agree in general.

Would give Watson a decent chance of outworking Toney to a decision.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:08 PM   #11
Vyborg1917
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 894
vCash: 161
Default Re: Was Watson on PEDs for the Eubank rematch?

"I want him tested. I want him tested." Shameful.
Vyborg1917 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:18 PM   #12
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,215
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Was Watson on PEDs for the Eubank rematch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyborg1917 View Post
"I want him tested. I want him tested." Shameful.
Who said that? Eubank?
Bokaj is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:35 PM   #13
Vyborg1917
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 894
vCash: 161
Default Re: Was Watson on PEDs for the Eubank rematch?

Yup. During interview with Gary Newbon in the midst of Watson's collapse.
Vyborg1917 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:54 PM   #14
Saintpat
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,163
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Was Watson on PEDs for the Eubank rematch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokaj View Post
Watched the two fights again, and the difference was in tactics, nothing else.

Take back my allegations of possible PEDs - it was just about Watson taking Eubank out of his comfort zone from the start in the rematch. By doing that he forced Eubank to punch when he really didn't want to, but had to in order to keep Watson off, and that made it easier for Watson to counter and find openings to the body. Ironically, he had to fight like a swarmer to get the most out of his abilities as a counter puncher. That was possible against Eubank, who had a tendency to get sloppy when not getting to pick and choose when to engage.

Ps. I scored the first fight for Watson this time around as well. Had him winning by 1 or 2 points. There were quite many close rounds, though, so a draw would not be unreasonable either. Eubank winning was hardly a scandal seing how close it was, but somewhat of a stretch in my opinion.
I've seen a few Eubank fights and have been mystified by why opponents allow him to take timeout whenever he wanted.

He'd throw two punches, step back, pose, change position, pose again, turn and do a mock clap, step over and pose again ... and it's like the other guy is reading the morning paper waiting for Chris to say, "OK, I'm ready to box again."

Eubank had skill, no doubt, and above-average (but not frightening) power. But mostly he was a bullshit artist who fought a lot of guys who were more than willing to let him get away with draining the clock and fighting for a minute or less per round. And a lot of his close decisions would have gone the other way if he didn't limit his fights to safe turf with friendly home judges.
Saintpat is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:40 AM   #15
riggers
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,109
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Was Watson on PEDs for the Eubank rematch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyborg1917 View Post
"I want him tested. I want him tested." Shameful.
He was paying a backhanded compliment. He had also been praising his strength. He had no idea Watson was in trouble either. This fight ended Chris as a puncher, the only knock outs he scored after this were single shots. If he hurt someone like Thompson or Collins he went straight to a pose.
riggers is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013