Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-24-2012, 12:17 PM   #76
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Bigger Puncher: 1951 Rocky Marciano or 1919 Jack Dempsey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ49 View Post
I just don't think Tunney is battle tested enough at heavyweight to pick him over prime ATG heavyweights. He had, what, 4 fights at the heavyweight limit? It would have been interesting to have seen Gene stick around and fight guys like Schmeling, Sharkey, Godfrey

I dont think Gene was battle as tested in the heavyweight but he did do well vs the Greb everyone wanted Dempsey to fight. I would have loved to see Gene vs Schmeling and Sharkey and the gang he left. I do understand that Gene married a very rich and powerful lady and went on to greener pastures and high levels of society....can't blame him but I think we would have seen some great fights had he stayed around....I think there was a lot more of Gene that we didn't see and IMO it was good stuff.

I don't think Dempsey can fight an attrition fight like Marciano, different styles, Dempsey had to slay you with a punch to the jaw,collar bone,heart,or stomach....while Marciano set the torrid pace and hit the arms,neck,shoulders, and forced you to fight back to his awkward lean and walk into something you never thought you would get hit with and then he would bring the pace up a notch and so on and so forth and then you find yourself in a middle of a war and running out of ammo
Bummy Davis is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2012, 01:03 PM   #77
MrBumboclart
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
At least Marciano didn't get knocked out cold in 1 round by a 37 year old fireman with no skill
Are you kidding? The fix was in on that fight. Dempsey hasn't eaten in a week and was dying hungry so he flopped in the first for a bet he had made. Turned out he made more money losing than if he had won.
MrBumboclart is offline  Top
Old 07-24-2012, 01:06 PM   #78
MrBumboclart
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
I just don't think Tunney is battle tested enough at heavyweight to pick him over prime ATG heavyweights. He had, what, 4 fights at the heavyweight limit? It would have been interesting to have seen Gene stick around and fight guys like Schmeling, Sharkey, Godfrey

Well he was a lot better than LaStarza and ****ell, all of whom dragged Rocky into hard fights.

The toughest of his career was the first Walcott fight - a good mover and boxer. I think Tunney would have given Marciano all he could handle.
MrBumboclart is offline  Top
Old 07-25-2012, 10:31 PM   #79
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBumboclart View Post
Well he was a lot better than LaStarza and ****ell, all of whom dragged Rocky into hard fights.

The toughest of his career was the first Walcott fight - a good mover and boxer. I think Tunney would have given Marciano all he could handle.
Tunney was the man....but lets be realistic!..Marciano would have had his way with him, a glorified sparring match at best...Rocky would have just been too much for Gene to handle
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Old 07-25-2012, 11:16 PM   #80
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSouthpaw View Post
Tunney was the man....but lets be realistic!..Marciano would have had his way with him, a glorified sparring match at best...Rocky would have just been too much for Gene to handle
Tunney would have done very well against the Rock... probably winning every round until he gets caught.
Seamus is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum