Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2012, 04:46 PM   #16
SouthpawSlayer
Im coming for you
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Gay St Pierre
Posts: 8,188
vCash: 75
Default Re: WTF Dana with the PPVs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHL View Post
Riddle's standing arm triangle was pretty good though.

looking forward to seeing him getting put to sleep, he recks my head cant stand that prick he makes my blood boil with his big goofy head
SouthpawSlayer is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2012, 06:51 PM   #17
On The Money
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Scotland
Posts: 2,194
vCash: 500
Default Re: WTF Dana with the PPVs

I skipped 149. It looked dross and appears it was. No different to 148 147 146 145 143 142 141... all rubbish. Not one good ppv card all year.
On The Money is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:37 PM   #18
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,713
vCash: 847
Default Re: WTF Dana with the PPVs

Quote:
Originally Posted by On The Money View Post
146 - 142
Very good cards. Most cards this year have had one or two really shit fights, though.
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:53 PM   #19
greathamza
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: sweden
Posts: 5,329
vCash: 117
Default Re: WTF Dana with the PPVs

Im glad i only payed 2$ for this card
greathamza is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:18 PM   #20
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: From the Lands Down Under.
Posts: 2,594
vCash: 177
Default Re: WTF Dana with the PPVs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawSlayer View Post
looking forward to seeing him getting put to sleep, he recks my head cant stand that prick he makes my blood boil with his big goofy head
How the **** can you hate Riddle?

He always wants to go to war, he's thrilled to be fighting, always gives his best effort, always has a massive genuine smile on his face and you never hear him say a bad word about anyone.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:28 PM   #21
Ne5ville14
Rationalist by default...
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,318
vCash: 500
Default Re: WTF Dana with the PPVs

Because that kind of thing can happen fairly often Haggis...not really hard to understand...
Ne5ville14 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:52 AM   #22
shanemfr
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,606
vCash: 1000
Default Re: WTF Dana with the PPVs

Ahh another free UFC fox card that rocked, **** PPVs
shanemfr is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:04 AM   #23
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,696
vCash: 75
Default Re: WTF Dana with the PPVs

UFC probably have in their tv deal a guaranteed minimum rating. Since UFC still has relatively low ratings for TV. Whats good for the TV network is good for us.

More Lyoto and Shogun type cards
thejokerswild is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:08 AM   #24
liger05
puroresu fan 4 life!!
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: London, UK
Posts: 2,039
vCash: 1000
Default Re: WTF Dana with the PPVs

UFC 147 (Wanderlei vs. Rich Franklin) did 140,000 buys. Damn thats brutally low!!
liger05 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:18 AM   #25
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: By any means necessary
Posts: 17,818
vCash: 1000
Default Re: WTF Dana with the PPVs

Quote:
Originally Posted by liger05 View Post
UFC 147 (Wanderlei vs. Rich Franklin) did 140,000 buys. Damn thats brutally low!!
The UFC has done this to themself. Over saturation is killing the brand. They'd be better off running a stacked show every few months PRIDE style.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:02 AM   #26
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,696
vCash: 75
Default Re: WTF Dana with the PPVs

Tv deals sound like a way to go forward for the sport. People like the sport but I mean who would pay to see a soccer game, nba, nfl or watch some rugby. They pull massive ratings and are the relevant sports frankly. a fighting sport doesn't have to be different. Big TV ratings > PPV buys
thejokerswild is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:45 AM   #27
fatcity
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Battery Park
Posts: 7,252
vCash: 1825
Default Re: WTF Dana with the PPVs

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
The UFC has done this to themself. Over saturation is killing the brand. They'd be better off running a stacked show every few months PRIDE style.
This is correct.Zuffa is killing the golden goose.It's a huge opportunity for boxing to get it's act together as UFC fans are finally getting it-UFC is a greedy organisation which caters to Fox due to it's contract.The UFC fan boys who were buying every PPV event are now clued in.Better later than never.
fatcity is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:03 PM   #28
brixtonbeat
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 253
vCash: 1000
Default Re: WTF Dana with the PPVs

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
The UFC has done this to themself. Over saturation is killing the brand. They'd be better off running a stacked show every few months PRIDE style.
Completely agree with the notion that they are over saturating the market. I'd much prefer maybe 4 shows a year that are unbelievable.

They are seemingly holding bi-weekly ppvs. It is ridiculous. I haven't bought one in years at this point.
brixtonbeat is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:32 PM   #29
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: From the Lands Down Under.
Posts: 2,594
vCash: 177
Default Re: WTF Dana with the PPVs

Quote:
Originally Posted by brixtonbeat View Post
Completely agree with the notion that they are over saturating the market. I'd much prefer maybe 4 shows a year that are unbelievable.

They are seemingly holding bi-weekly ppvs. It is ridiculous. I haven't bought one in years at this point.
You want four shows a year, each of them five or six hours long?

The way to get the sport mainstream is to have a lot of fights on free TV. Fights every week if they can. Like boxing used to have in its heyday.

PPV killed boxing, pretty much. It led to ridiculous money demands, which led to shitty undercards, which meant that people couldn't follow anyone's career except for a half-dozen guys at best.

PPV in the UFC is alright if the cards are good. Ideally, I'd like to see PPVs reserved for title fights, but realistically that's not gonna happen. But the way forward is cards like the Fox one a couple of days ago. Fights on free TV at primetime, featuring up and comers and guys competing for title shots.


Last edited by Haggis McJackass; 08-06-2012 at 08:58 PM.
Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:20 PM   #30
brixtonbeat
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 253
vCash: 1000
Default Re: WTF Dana with the PPVs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post
You want four shows a year, each of them five or six hours long?

The way to get the sport mainstream is to have a lot of fights on free TV. Fights every week if they can. Like boxing used to have in its heyday.

PPV killed boxing, pretty much. It led to ridiculous money demands, which led to shitty undercards, which meant that people couldn't follow anyone's career except for a half-dozen guys at best.

PPV in the UFC is alright if the cards are good. Ideally, I'd like to see PPVs reserved for title fights, but realistically that's not gonna happen. But the way forward is cards like the Fox one a couple of days ago. Fights on free TV at primetime, featuring up and comers and guys competing for title shots.

I have no problem at all with regularly televised free fights. But the amount of ppvs the UFC holds is obscene imo.

How anyone can purchase events with any degree of frequency is beyond me.

Great cards every couple months is fine. Sadly, it seems as those these are few and far between. Four or five years ago, I would consider myself a hardcore fan. These days, I'm casual at best.
brixtonbeat is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013