Old 07-22-2012, 11:57 PM   #16
dawsosj
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Green gives his top 5 fights in Perth

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipsy View Post
And at the risk of the Green fans coming in and tearing me apart.... He didn't really have any of the skills that warranted him making teh kind of money he has, or being as succesful as he has been, Just goes to show that Good Marketing and a BIg heart does a long way.... Dont get me wrong, he obviously has solid skills and got better after his first retirement but i never thought he was a worl beater, he has done very very well considering.. Good on him I reckon.
yep he has marketed himself extremely well and coupled that with a fan friendly style to generate such huge success. Hopefully both he and anthony continue to stay invovled in the sport and market some of the younger talent coming through, i know that greeny has taken will tomlinson under his wing a little bit so hopefully that continues
dawsosj is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2012, 12:03 AM   #17
kel
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

If there was no Anthony Mundine i think it's safe to say Danny Green would be working part time to supplement whatever money he made from boxing.
kel is offline  Top
Old 07-23-2012, 12:08 AM   #18
stiflers mum
Gartlett nuthugger #1
East Side Guru

vCash: 700

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel View Post
If there was no Anthony Mundine i think it's safe to say Danny Green would be working part time to supplement whatever money he made from boxing.
Dunno mate he made nearly 1/2 a mill from the Lucas fight from memory and a mill for the Beyer rematch so he would be doing O.K.
stiflers mum is offline  Top
Old 07-23-2012, 12:37 AM   #19
kel
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiflers mum View Post
Dunno mate he made nearly 1/2 a mill from the Lucas fight from memory and a mill for the Beyer rematch so he would be doing O.K.

What i'm saying is he built a profile here in Australia on the back of Mundine........ Are you confident to say he would have got those opportunties without the ongoing Mundine feud played out in the papers?

BTW - No way in hell did he get 1/2 mill for the Lucas fight...... and a 1mil for Beyer rematch seems dodgy as well.
kel is offline  Top
Old 07-23-2012, 12:51 AM   #20
stiflers mum
Gartlett nuthugger #1
East Side Guru

Quote:
What i'm saying is he built a profile here in Australia on the back of Mundine........ Are you confident to say he would have got those opportunties without the ongoing Mundine feud played out in the papers?

BTW - No way in hell did he get 1/2 mill for the Lucas fight...... and a 1mil for Beyer rematch seems dodgy as well.
I think I remember those figures being bandied about but not sure could be wrong. Of course he made his money from Mundine and the feud with him noone except Tony Hood disputes that.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:51 AM   #21
dawsosj
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

it certainly helped a lot, but i think his personality had a lot to do with it aswell, to the general public he is a likeable character so they in turn support him. He was putting bums on seats at challenge stadium before his feud with mundine
dawsosj is offline  Top
Old 07-23-2012, 12:56 AM   #22
kel
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumper View Post
green definitely wouldnt have earned anywhere near as much without mundine. but to suggest he would have had to work a parttime job to supplement his boxing income without mundine is way off the mark
It's now hard to imagine i know, but take Mundine out of the equation and Danny Green has a similar career path to a Paul Briggs, Troy Waters, Glenn Kelly, Shannon Taylor...... All these guys did not earn enough to retire without not having to work again.

Only Fenech and Kostya have made millions from boxing in Australia... and rightly so given their ability.... the rest have made good money but not the sort of money to never having to work again.

Mundine and Green really did a job on the Australia public.
kel is offline  Top
Old 07-23-2012, 03:31 AM   #23
bulij
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Green without mundine would have been "paul briggs x2" there would have been no Drews,RJJ,Tarver,BJ and krysztof....Fact
bulij is offline  Top
Old 07-23-2012, 04:40 AM   #24
Francis75
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawsosj View Post
yes but it's part of the reason he has been so financially successful, because he markets himself intelligently to the public and his intention is to try to evoke emotions in the general public to generate ticket and merchandise sales.
It says a lot about the intelligence or lack of intelligence of his fans then.
Francis75 is offline  Top
Old 07-23-2012, 04:45 AM   #25
stiflers mum
Gartlett nuthugger #1
East Side Guru

Quote:
interesting point of view. but facts are things that happened. not things people guess
But it's a pretty safe assumption. I think without the money he made off the Mundine fight he wouldn't of been able to lure those opponents here. Before that he had to do it the hard way overseas Lucas,Beyer I and II.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:10 AM   #26
Crusher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:

100 percent agree.
Crusher is offline  Top
Old 07-23-2012, 08:29 AM   #27
DJB1
Journeyman

Green is self promoted. When he has a fight he sets up shop. He can to pay those guys to fight. Without the large sum he made from Mundine fight he would not be able to pay them.

This is also why Mundine did't fight Trout which haters tend to forget or not realise. If Mundine fights him here like Kessler fight then he has to pay him as Boxa is the promoter, and Trout was asking way too much. And if they have purse bid and Mundine offers 500k then he has to pay him that - about 300k over his worth. But even if Trouts promoter offers 600k to pay Mundine then when the fights in the US under Trouts promoter they want Australian PPV dollars.
Quote:
interesting point of view. but facts are things that happened. not things people guess
DJB1 is offline  Top
Old 07-23-2012, 11:02 AM   #28
aussie opinion
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 925

i lost alot of respect from green after the briggs fiasco (i stated manny times lol) , but he i do credit he picked his career up nicely he has the WA crowd eating out of the palm of his hand it will all was be a sold out show in perth, and if he fights in sydney again he will sell that out to.. something mundine cant do anymore, mundine had 2 fight in newcastle in a 2000 capacity and half filled, green can still draw a crowd he has fought better oppents over the last few years ...this really does come down green V mundine... and popurality wise over the last few years green wins by KO ..... he's will be cleanin up on ppv sales compared to mandy
aussie opinion is offline  Top
Old 07-23-2012, 08:56 PM   #29
stiflers mum
Gartlett nuthugger #1
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB1 View Post
Green is self promoted. When he has a fight he sets up shop. He can to pay those guys to fight. Without the large sum he made from Mundine fight he would not be able to pay them.

This is also why Mundine did't fight Trout which haters tend to forget or not realise. If Mundine fights him here like Kessler fight then he has to pay him as Boxa is the promoter, and Trout was asking way too much. And if they have purse bid and Mundine offers 500k then he has to pay him that - about 300k over his worth. But even if Trouts promoter offers 600k to pay Mundine then when the fights in the US under Trouts promoter they want Australian PPV dollars.
Gav why do you keep changing usernames?
Old 07-23-2012, 09:15 PM   #30
TCboxa
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 346

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiflers mum View Post
But it's a pretty safe assumption. I think without the money he made off the Mundine fight he wouldn't of been able to lure those opponents here. Before that he had to do it the hard way overseas Lucas,Beyer I and II.
spot on

I wonder why he didnt mention his fight with Briggs, i mean that punch he hit briggs with could have knocked out a cow
TCboxa is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum