general zod
Into Darkness
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Calzaghe, Jones and Hopkins

Part 1

The legend beater
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

"I'm not chasing after Roy Jones. Be honest, Roy Jones is a good fighter and I don't want tough fights, I just want big money. "I just want to make sure I never have to work again."
-Joe Calzaghe

March 1999
Lou Di Bella
Quote:
Yesterday Collins' hopes of meeting Roy Jones, considered the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world, were dashed by Home Box Office chief Lou Di Bella. The television network, which holds the rights to cover all Jones fights, and has a major say in who he fights,
Quote:
Lou Di Bella said yesterday: "I haven't heard Steve's name mentioned in weeks. I think Reggie Johnson, the IBF champion, is the favourite to face Jones in May." HBO and Sky had discussed a financial purse to put together Collins-Jones. But Di Bella added: "Sky haven't heard anything recently about Steve either. I would like to see him fight Joe Calzaghe with the winner meeting Jones
Calzaghe
Quote:
Calzaghe offered Collins a chance to meet him in a winner takes all bout, a title eliminator with the champion facing Jones

During his training camp for Calzaghe, Collins discovered he had a brain injury and retired from boxing, leaving the door open for Calzaghe to pursue a fight with Jones. Lou Dibella was true to his word and he would get Calzaghe a fight on HBO on the Oscar-Tito undercard. Millions of Americans would see Calzaghe for the first time and if he gave a dominant performance he could get the ball rolling for a Jones-Calzaghe showdown. Calzaghe would agree, but shortly before the fight he would pull out claiming to be injured
Quote:
Injuries have ruled him out of previous attempts by ****** to launch him in America, most notably a slot on the Oscar De La Hoya-Felix Trinidad show in Las Vegas in September 1999. At the time Calzaghe was troubled with elbow and hand injuries and his place was taken by ******'s other world champion, WBO cruiserweight title-holder, Johnny Nelson.

June 1999
Calzaghe would admit that same year that he really had no interest in fighting Jones:
Quote:
He has no particular desire to test himself against the very best, such as WBC light-heavyweight champ Roy Jones. Calzaghe added: "I'm not chasing after Roy Jones. Be honest, Roy Jones is a good fighter and I don't want tough fights, I just want big money. "I just want to make sure I never have to work again.

Oct 2000
Strangely enough the following year ****** would claim he tried to make the fight, but Jones was asking for too much money. This is in spite of the fact that Calzaghe said himself that he had no interest in the fight.
Quote:
****** was working to match Calzaghe against the formidable American Roy Jones - who beat Woodhall in the 1988 Seoul Olympics - but was asking "ridiculous sums of money". ******, however, has not given up and will try again to lure Jones to fight the WBO super-middleweight crown when Calzaghe and Woodhall have finished their business.

Calzaghe was at this point still unknown in America due to his refusal to fight over there or even promote any of his fights over there. According to ****** the American networks had lost interest in him.[1] So it should of come as no surprise to anyone that Jones and HBO would see a Jones-Hopkins II fight as a more desirable fight than a Jones-Calzaghe fight
Check out the article title:

BOXING: JONES TO DUCK JOE.

Quote:
ROY Jones will overlook Britain's Joe Calzaghe and fight Bernard Hopkins to decide the world's best pound-for-pound boxer.

June 2003
In 2003 Calzaghe would again state he had "concerns" about the possibility of facing Jones
Quote:
Yet Calzaghe's confession to an aversion to travel, and concerns about a future match with the brilliant Roy Jones Jnr, confirms he has a grip on reality
Quote:
"I could probably give Jones a tough fight, probably the best fight he's ever had," said Calzaghe. "But I know my capabilities and unless I got paid the crown jewels I wouldn't want to risk it." There's honesty for you

Last edited by general zod; 08-11-2012 at 07:47 AM.
general zod is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2012, 09:22 AM   #2
general zod
Into Darkness
ESB Addict

Default Re: Calzaghe, Jones and Hopkins

Part 2:

The fallen p4p King

"I have no interest any more in Roy Jones and no interest in Antonio Tarver. Jones is washed up and Tarver was never that good anyway, he just caught Jones when Jones was shot and Johnson did the same."

-From Joe's own autobiography, published in 2007.

From 2003 onwards things would start to go wrong for Jones

Tarver 1: Struggled greatly and was almost stopped
Tarver 2: Koed in 2 rounds
Johnson : Koed in 9 rounds
Tarver 3: Would lose by a wide ud and was hurt badly during the latter rounds
Jones was now 0-3 in his last three fights

Calzaghe and Hopkins decided now was the best time to face 'Prime Jones'

Dec 2005
Hopkins:
Quote:
Roy Jones Jr. and Bernard Hopkins are nearing the end of their spectacular careers, and they will try to culminate them with a bang when they fight each other March 11 in either Memphis, Atlanta, Chicago or Washington D.C.
Jones would pull out of their proposed fight claiming years later that Hopkins was trying to rob him

March 2006
Boxing: Calzaghe closing on Jones bout in summer.

Quote:
****** said: "We are looking at July next for Joe and I believe the ideal opponent would be Roy Jones - who is the biggest name out there and I am sure Joe would do a job on him. .

According to Jones, Warrren made him a lowball offer, which is why the fight never happened
Quote:
They wanted me to go to England to fight Joe and I said yes,? Jones
said. ?But they make a lowball offer.

Part 3:

The Ghost

'I am not running scared of Pavlik'[2]
-Joe Calzaghe

Talks for Calzaghe-Pavlik started, but came to a halt after Pavlik's destruction of Gary Lockett, who was also trained by Calzaghe's father

Quote:
middleweight champion Joe Calzaghe has gone on the record to turn down the challenge of WBC/WBO middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik, and says that a fight with former four-division champ Roy Jones Jr. is the right move for November 15. The two sides, Top Rank and Calzaghe's promoter Frank ******, have been discussing the Calzaghe-Pavlik for several weeks. Talks heated up when Pavlik demolished Calzaghe's stablemate Gary Lockett last week in Atlantic City.
Calzaghe then decided to fight a washed up Jones making the very bizarre claim that Pavlik had turned him down twice in the past
Quote:
Calzaghe claims that he tried to make a fight with WBC/WBO middleweight champ Kelly Pavlik on two occasions and both times Pavlik turned him down. He says that none of Pavlik's comments bother him. “We actually tried to get Pavlik after the Jeff Lacy fight and he declined,” Calzaghe told Wales Online. “We asked him again after he won the middleweight title and he declined again.

Arum

Quote:
"What HBO should have done is insisted Calzaghe fight the younger guy who has put himself there by hard work and has an upside for the future. And that's Pavlik.

"Where is this fight going? If Calzaghe wins, he retires. If Jones wins, who gives a (expletive)."

Calzaghe before the Hopkins fight
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWDtzdAYTOA[/ame]

Go to 6:35
"Roy Jones is past his best."

"Would you see that as a let down to fight Jones as your last fight?"
"Yeah.Probably."

"Roy Jones was a great fighter, but he is not a great fighter anymore"

References:
[1]
Quote:
Calzaghe blamed his reluctance to travel on his fear of flying. But it made trying to build a name for him in the US a nightmare. For chunks of Calzaghe's reign as a world champ, American TV lost all interest in the Welshman,
http://www.boxing$cene.com/frank-******-responds-tells-all-on-joe-calzaghe--16188

Quote:
He had none of Jones’s pedigree or promise. Rather, he was an obscure fighter from Wales with a neophyte trainer

[2]http://www.thefreelibrary.com/%27I+am+not+running+scared+of+Pavlik%27+Calzaghe+insists+New+York...-a0183025703

Last edited by general zod; 08-11-2012 at 07:49 AM.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:27 AM   #3
general zod
Into Darkness
ESB Addict

There are some fighters I believe Jones avoided, but he didn't avoid Hopkins and Calzaghe
Old 07-22-2012, 09:28 AM   #4
Arcane
One More Time
East Side Guru

vCash: 488

Are we going to see all 3 getting shitted on
Arcane is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2012, 09:31 AM   #5
general zod
Into Darkness
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
Are we going to see all 3 getting shitted on
Only civil debates happen on esb

Last edited by general zod; 07-22-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:34 AM   #6
Earl-hickey
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 765

Pavlik LOL
Earl-hickey is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2012, 09:35 AM   #7
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Further quotes
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
" I was one of his biggest fans but you have to question why his performance levels completely dipped from the moment it transpired a few years ago that he had failed a drugs test in a fight in Indiana against another american, Richard Hall. All of a sudden, he fell from the premiership to league 2, from being absolutely peerless, to distinctly average "

" If I had of fought Jones at his peak and got beaten, I would feel swindled today, knowing that he had taken steroids. Its cheating, theres no other word for it, and I don't know how it managed to be swept under the carpet for a number of years and he went totally unpunished "

" If steroids can make athletes run faster, they can surely help a boxer to hit harder and to hit faster and to hit quicker and to hit for longer and this will help him to inflict more punishment, which I think is repulsive"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Jay Larkin, head of boxing for the American Showtime television, said: "With Bernard you never know. I think he comes to us from outer space sometimes. But a fight against Hopkins is a natural for Wales and we would like it to take place here."

Larkin confirmed that Hopkins last year agreed to a purse of 1.9million to go in against Calzaghe, only to demand double the money the very next day."

"We have to get Joe to America and the right fight is Bernard Hopkins," said Showtime boxing chief Jay Larkin.

"Hopkins turned down a lot of money from us to fight Calzaghe last year, but after what Joe did to Mitchell we can up the ante and offer more."

"Hopkins stated: "Right now I'm negotiating along with Don King and Jay Larkin of Showtime. Who we spoke to and we're going to talk to him about two fights, maybe my mandatory too, which makes it a three-fight deal.

"It would be the mandatory, Harry Simon and Joe Calzaghe. While Calzaghe fights for that other super-middleweight title, I'll wait for that and knock off Simon after the mandatory and fight the WBO title."

"According to both King and Hopkins, the two worked out an agreement for Hopkins' next fight, no small accomplishment considering Hopkins spurned a $10.5 million three-fight Showtime offer made earlier this year that would have sent him into the ring to fight Morrade Hakkar, Joe Calzaghe and Harry Simon.

"He's desperate for a fight and he needs to fight me because he messed up his deal with Showtime," Jones Jr. said in the dressing room prior to Saturday's main event."

Hopkins ducked him all the way up to 2007. Here's a quote from the man himself confirming it...

The original plan cooked up by Team Calzaghe was for Joe and Bernard to meet next March for a 10million showdown, according to the Sunday Mirror, but the never-at-a-loss-for-words Hopkins put a kibosh on those plans, not temporarily, but once and for all.

"Calzaghe is a good fighter but right now it would be a backward step for me," Hopkins said. "It is not a big enough fight right now and I need a big fight to get motivated. A fight against Maskaev would be exactly the type of fight I need"
Calzaghe has heard the news and isn't taking it lying down.

"Hopkins, to be honest, is just one of the names on a long list," he said. "[But] it's funny how the so-called big names in American boxing always have a handy reason not to fight me."

This was after Calzaghe's masterclass vs Lacy. Hopkins didn't even bother fighting a heavyweight, he chickened out of that one too, settling for pretend heavyweight Mason Dixon coming off losing 45lbs

You Tube
6:45 in. "For 2 years Calzaghe has chased pound for pound number one Roy Jones, but to no avail".
You Tube
#!
also:
*THIS VIDEO IS ON YOUTUBE: 'Roy Jones jr looks ahead to Calzaghe'*

Steve Bunce: When did Joe first pop up in a conversation?

Roy Jones: When he beat Chris Eubank I started watching him then.

Steve Bunce: 1997

Roy Jones: I knew it then...but he then kinda backed down on the opponents he was fighting so I RELEASED THE IDEA OF IT [fighting Joe].

So Jones admits he was aware of Joe early on, but wasn't interested in fighting him.

BBC, 21st November 2001.
"It's all very well being the best in the world, but you need big names for big fights," he reflects.

A fight with the Eric Lucas, the WBC champion, is a possibility, but unification fights are notoriously hard and expensive to arrange.

As is a bout with Roy Jones.

"To be honest I'm getting quite fed up with it," Calzaghe said.

A bout against the undisputed light heavyweight champion has been the subject of ongoing speculation.

"It's difficult because of the different networks involved. He's with HBO and I'm with Showtime - that's a massive obstacle in itself.

"Secondly, you've got to ask yourself whether Roy Jones would want to fight me.
"At the moment he picks his own opponents, fights the easiest guys he can and gets a lot of money for beating them.

"I'm dangerous and I can take the mega money out of his pocket. Why would he want to fight me?

Jones himself made the statement that he did not go fight him because it was too risky be it in the UK or states...he stated that on National TV while commentating on Calzaghe/Hopkins those words exactly get a copy of the fight and find out yourself....If Jones said it himself then any argument you have is out the window because Jones stated nothing about why should I have...I was ranked #1 he was ranked # whatever he said...IT WAS TOO RISKY FOR ME AT THAT TIME ESPECIALLY IF I HAD TO GO TO THE UK... he added nothing in on it....

roy jones the man who fought Richard Frazier the part time cop and then bragged about his greatness afterward....

Former four-division champion Roy Jones Jr, speaking with The Sunday Times, responded to Joe Calzaghe's recent claim of chasing Jones for several years and being brushed aside. Calzaghe spoke with The Sunday Mirror and appeared to have some newfound hostility when Jones' name came up.

"I spent five or six years chasing Jones and he acted like he never even knew my name," said Calzaghe. "Suddenly, I beat Hopkins in Vegas and Jones wants to be my neighbor - it's ridiculous. If a fight with Jones made sense from a cash point of view, then it could happen, but he is notorious for asking for too much money."

Jones says that he viewed Calzaghe as a possible opponent several years ago, but at the time he saw no reason to travel to Wales to chase the fight. Now that Calzaghe is the bigger star, Jones is willing to make the fight anywhere.

“I saw Joe as a potential opponent a long time ago,” Jones said. “But I had my eyes on higher things, such as winning the heavyweight title, so it was nothing against Joe, I love everything about him. He’s a fun guy, an entertaining guy, a good person. We took some pictures together with his sons after the fight on Saturday and we’ve talked on the phone. But boxing is business. When I was the best pound-for-pound boxer in the world it wouldn’t have been smart for me to go and fight Joe.
”You don’t go to somebody else when you’re the best, they must come to you, so I wouldn’t take the risk, and why would I? Why would I meet that challenge when I’m already the best? Why would I go to your country and give you a chance to allow the powers that be to take a close decision and give it to you?"

Jones says a fight with Calzaghe is the best fight in boxing, even better than a possible rematch between Oscar De La Hoya and Floyd Mayweather Jr, scheduled for September.

“But right now this is the best fight out there, better than the Oscar De La Hoya-Floyd Mayweather rematch because we all know what the outcome of that fight is going to be – another win for Floyd. You don’t know the outcome of this fight, however, so it’s a fight people are going to want to see. There’s suspense, and that’s what makes for a big fight," Jones says.

Read the link below

28:52 mark
You Tube

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhSxp...tu.be&t=26m47s[/ame]
bailey is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2012, 10:10 AM   #8
general zod
Into Darkness
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
Further quotes
" I was one of his biggest fans but you have to question why his performance levels completely dipped from the moment it transpired a few years ago that he had failed a drugs test in a fight in Indiana against another american, Richard Hall. All of a sudden, he fell from the premiership to league 2, from being absolutely peerless, to distinctly average "

" If I had of fought Jones at his peak and got beaten, I would feel swindled today, knowing that he had taken steroids. Its cheating, theres no other word for it, and I don't know how it managed to be swept under the carpet for a number of years and he went totally unpunished "

" If steroids can make athletes run faster, they can surely help a boxer to hit harder and to hit faster and to hit quicker and to hit for longer and this will help him to inflict more punishment, which I think is repulsive"
How does any of this help you?

Last edited by general zod; 07-22-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:12 AM   #9
general zod
Into Darkness
ESB Addict

Quote:
"Jay Larkin, head of boxing for the American Showtime television, said: "With Bernard you never know. I think he comes to us from outer space sometimes. But a fight against Hopkins is a natural for Wales and we would like it to take place here."

Larkin confirmed that Hopkins last year agreed to a purse of 1.9million to go in against Calzaghe, only to demand double the money the very next day."

"We have to get Joe to America and the right fight is Bernard Hopkins," said Showtime boxing chief Jay Larkin.

"Hopkins turned down a lot of money from us to fight Calzaghe last year, but after what Joe did to Mitchell we can up the ante and offer more."

"Hopkins stated: "Right now I'm negotiating along with Don King and Jay Larkin of Showtime. Who we spoke to and we're going to talk to him about two fights, maybe my mandatory too, which makes it a three-fight deal.

"It would be the mandatory, Harry Simon and Joe Calzaghe. While Calzaghe fights for that other super-middleweight title, I'll wait for that and knock off Simon after the mandatory and fight the WBO title."

"According to both King and Hopkins, the two worked out an agreement for Hopkins' next fight, no small accomplishment considering Hopkins spurned a $10.5 million three-fight Showtime offer made earlier this year that would have sent him into the ring to fight Morrade Hakkar, Joe Calzaghe and Harry Simon.

"He's desperate for a fight and he needs to fight me because he messed up his deal with Showtime," Jones Jr. said in the dressing room prior to Saturday's main event."

Hopkins ducked him all the way up to 2007. Here's a quote from the man himself confirming it...

The original plan cooked up by Team Calzaghe was for Joe and Bernard to meet next March for a 10million showdown, according to the Sunday Mirror, but the never-at-a-loss-for-words Hopkins put a kibosh on those plans, not temporarily, but once and for all.

"Calzaghe is a good fighter but right now it would be a backward step for me," Hopkins said. "It is not a big enough fight right now and I need a big fight to get motivated. A fight against Maskaev would be exactly the type of fight I need"
Calzaghe has heard the news and isn't taking it lying down.

"Hopkins, to be honest, is just one of the names on a long list," he said. "[But] it's funny how the so-called big names in American boxing always have a handy reason not to fight me."

This was after Calzaghe's masterclass vs Lacy. Hopkins didn't even bother fighting a heavyweight, he chickened out of that one too, settling for pretend heavyweight Mason Dixon coming off losing 45lbs
Hopkins?
How are the above quotes relevant to this thread?
Old 07-22-2012, 10:17 AM   #10
general zod
Into Darkness
ESB Addict

Quote:

Jones himself made the statement that he did not go fight him because it was too risky be it in the UK or states...he stated that on National TV while commentating on Calzaghe/Hopkins those words exactly get a copy of the fight and find out yourself....If Jones said it himself then any argument you have is out the window because Jones stated nothing about why should I have...I was ranked #1 he was ranked # whatever he said...IT WAS TOO RISKY FOR ME AT THAT TIME ESPECIALLY IF I HAD TO GO TO THE UK... he added nothing in on it....
lol .
Seeing as how you are the one claiming this then it is up to you to provide a source
Old 07-22-2012, 10:23 AM   #11
general zod
Into Darkness
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl-hickey View Post
Pavlik LOL
He was seen as a legit threat back then, better than Jones.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:30 AM   #12
realsoulja
Champion
East Side Guru

realsoulja checking in, this thread going to turn into a battlefield soon.

Regardless, boxing is business to these folks all that happend was money motivated.
realsoulja is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2012, 10:34 AM   #13
Mind Reader
RIP Captain Phil
East Side Guru

vCash: 760

Quote:
Originally Posted by general zod View Post
There are some fighters I believe Jones avoided, but he didn't avoid Hopkins and Calzaghe

I agree...

Calzaghe and Hopkins are 2 fighters there is no argument for Roy ducking...

Of course Bailey will bring up steroid quotes, that have no relevance for Joe not wanting to take the risk to fight Jones when it mattered.
Mind Reader is online now  Top
Old 07-22-2012, 10:35 AM   #14
SJS19
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I'm up for this one to be fair. We're just missing Imperial, Knockout Artist, and the always friendly Loudon.
SJS19 is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2012, 10:36 AM   #15
general zod
Into Darkness
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind Reader View Post
I agree...

Calzaghe and Hopkins are 2 fighters there is no argument for Roy ducking...

Of course Bailey will bring up steroid quotes, that have no relevance for Joe not wanting to take the risk to fight Jones when it mattered.
Quote:
He has no particular desire to test himself against the very best, such as WBC light-heavyweight champ Roy Jones. Calzaghe added: "I'm not chasing after Roy Jones. Be honest, Roy Jones is a good fighter and I don't want tough fights, I just want big money. "I just want to make sure I never have to work again.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum