Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-16-2012, 04:05 PM   #1
luke
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Razor Ruddock vs Riddick Bowe + question

I always liked the guy, he is one of the few boxers I think I could go out for a drink with and not hate Him, but why is he so over-rated. He had average boxing skills/chin/stamina with atg power, I think Gerry Cooney has a rival here for the most one armed fighter. Like I said I dont hate him, Im just wondering.

Anyway how do you guys think he would of done against Bowe if He and Bowe went at it for Bowes title shot at Holyfield.
luke is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2012, 04:37 PM   #2
Webbiano
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Razor Ruddock vs Riddick Bowe + question

Agreed. What did he actually achieve apart from go the distance with Tyson? As harsh as it sounds, not a lot. Being a fairly big Lennox fan I fail to see why many rate his win so highly. Sure it was a KO in the second round, but Ruddock was never that good in my eyes.

Bowe could box him from the outside and win a wide decision victory, leaving Ruddock with just a punchers chance, however the likelihood would have been for Riddick to go to war which would give Razor a slightly better chance. Bowe's infighting skills and power should be more than enough to get the KO/TKO in the middle rounds, with an upset certainly possible, but pretty unlikely.
Webbiano is offline  Top
Old 07-16-2012, 04:55 PM   #3
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 765

Getting off the deck to beat Bonecrusher then Smashing Dokes into oblivion, got Ruddock a lot of kudos pre Tyson. Remember Ruddock was thought of as more of a boxer than puncher in the mid/late 80s.

As for Bowe/Ruddock in early 92, I go for Bowe on a late stoppage. Ruddock lost his discipline post Tyson, but Bowe would of been mighty cautious for the first half of the fight.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 07-16-2012, 07:16 PM   #4
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Ruddock was an interersting dude. I think Bowe would tear him up. Riddick was bigger and more skilled. Better balance better in every department except maybe lunging with a wild lefthook/upper from the outside.
ETM is offline  Top
Old 07-16-2012, 07:21 PM   #5
round15
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze View Post
Getting off the deck to beat Bonecrusher then Smashing Dokes into oblivion, got Ruddock a lot of kudos pre Tyson. Remember Ruddock was thought of as more of a boxer than puncher in the mid/late 80s.

As for Bowe/Ruddock in early 92, I go for Bowe on a late stoppage. Ruddock lost his discipline post Tyson, but Bowe would of been mighty cautious for the first half of the fight.
Bowe and Holyfield both found excuses not to get into the ring with Ruddock. I think a focused Ruddock who uses his jab and boxes with his right hand is too much for either of them. However, I would bet more on Razor focussing too much on the smash and trying to load up on one punch in totally frustration. If Bert Cooper can almost KO Holyfield, certainly Ruddock has the power to keep him on the mat.
round15 is offline  Top
Old 07-17-2012, 05:04 AM   #6
luke
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by round15 View Post
Bowe and Holyfield both found excuses not to get into the ring with Ruddock. I think a focused Ruddock who uses his jab and boxes with his right hand is too much for either of them. However, I would bet more on Razor focussing too much on the smash and trying to load up on one punch in totally frustration. If Bert Cooper can almost KO Holyfield, certainly Ruddock has the power to keep him on the mat.

cooper hit like a truck and was an amazing inside fighter, people always turn up for a championship fight where they dont when they fight the greg pages or the lennox lewis for the commonwealth title, the only time ruddock jabbed was after the 2 or 3 year layoff and that started with thte morrison fight.
luke is offline  Top
Old 07-17-2012, 06:06 PM   #7
round15
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke View Post
cooper hit like a truck and was an amazing inside fighter, people always turn up for a championship fight where they dont when they fight the greg pages or the lennox lewis for the commonwealth title, the only time ruddock jabbed was after the 2 or 3 year layoff and that started with thte morrison fight.
He did jab a little pre and post Tyson, but nowhere near enough. This is where the frustration lies with Ruddock. The man never used what might have been considered his best weapon aside from the smash.
round15 is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2012, 03:57 AM   #8
Ricky42791
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2835

The Tyson fights took everything out of Ruddock and a helluva lot out of Tyson, before the Tyson bouts Ruddock was one of the most feared if not the most feared heavyweight during that time. Tyson stepped up to the plate and took on a monster and the winner would challenge for holyfields title. Holyfield def ducked Ruddock. Pre-Tyson ruddock was a legit threat in the HW division. After just an undisciplined puncher
Ricky42791 is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2012, 04:23 AM   #9
Sister Sledge
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

I could be wrong, but I thought he tore his right rotator cuff, or something like that prior to fighting Tyson. He used to be a much better boxer before he kayoed Dokes. Supposedly, a bad operation took the zing out of his right arm. Like ai said, I could be wrong.
Sister Sledge is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2012, 05:12 AM   #10
Sister Sledge
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Sledge View Post
I could be wrong, but I thought he tore his right rotator cuff, or something like that prior to fighting Tyson. He used to be a much better boxer before he kayoed Dokes. Supposedly, a bad operation took the zing out of his right arm. Like ai said, I could be wrong.
Wrong fighter.
Sister Sledge is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2012, 06:05 AM   #11
Webbiano
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky42791 View Post
The Tyson fights took everything out of Ruddock and a helluva lot out of Tyson, before the Tyson bouts Ruddock was one of the most feared if not the most feared heavyweight during that time. Tyson stepped up to the plate and took on a monster and the winner would challenge for holyfields title. Holyfield def ducked Ruddock. Pre-Tyson ruddock was a legit threat in the HW division. After just an undisciplined puncher
Was he really that feared pre Tyson? I didn't think it was till after the Tyson fights that people didn't want anything to do with Ruddock. Full credit to Tyson for taking him on a first and then second time which was a very dangerous fight. Also you gotta give credit to Lewis for taking him on, although I think the likes of Bowe and Holyfield would have comfortably beaten him (maybe not the way lennox did) as Razor was never the same fighter after the 2 Tyson fights, which is why I don't rate the win as Lewis best win or even top 3. A good win in spectacular fashion, but looking into what Ruddock achieved pre and post Lewis, it loses a bit of credit in my eyes.
Webbiano is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2012, 06:15 AM   #12
TheMagicanBoy
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Ruddock was feared.

He had great heart, great power and high high work ethics.

He was a favorite against Lennox.

Lennox destroyed him.

That was the fight that made Riddick Bowe hide under Rock Newman's panties for a decade to avoid the Lewis right hand
TheMagicanBoy is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2012, 06:16 AM   #13
Sangria
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webbiano View Post
Was he really that feared pre Tyson? I didn't think it was till after the Tyson fights that people didn't want anything to do with Ruddock. Full credit to Tyson for taking him on a first and then second time which was a very dangerous fight. Also you gotta give credit to Lewis for taking him on, although I think the likes of Bowe and Holyfield would have comfortably beaten him (maybe not the way lennox did) as Razor was never the same fighter after the 2 Tyson fights, which is why I don't rate the win as Lewis best win or even top 3. A good win in spectacular fashion, but looking into what Ruddock achieved pre and post Lewis, it loses a bit of credit in my eyes.
Yes, Ruddock was feared pre-Tyson. 10 fight KO streak plus the knockouts of Bonecrusher and Dokes really put Ruddock on the map. A fight with Tyson was the heavyweight equivalent of Hagler-Hearns. It wasn't till after Tyson went to prison that Ruddock was deemed the next champion. And yes, give Lewis credit for facing Ruddock when Bowe and Holyfield didn't. I think he gives both Bowe and Holyfield some anxious moments before succumbing in the latter rounds. Ruddock would always be dangerous and never really got back on track after the Lewis thrashing.
Sangria is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2012, 08:09 AM   #14
Azzer85
ATG
East Side Guru

Its funny how Bowe was 'never the same' after his wars with holyfield, but the same logic doesnt apply when it comes to Razor Ruddock
Azzer85 is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2012, 08:39 AM   #15
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side Guru

vCash: 258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzer85 View Post
Its funny how Bowe was 'never the same' after his wars with holyfield, but the same logic doesnt apply when it comes to Razor Ruddock
Bowe wasn't even the same after the first Holyfield fight, and it has nothing to do with any war in the ring.

For the rematch against Evander, Bowe notoriously pigged out on birthday cake and showed up flabby and slow. He was just inconsistent with his training and effort, it was the Golota fights that messed his brain up.

I don't understand the defensiveness from Tyson fans regarding Lewis blow out of Ruddock. With his long right hand and physical power to muscle out of clinches, Lewis was just better equiped for taking Ruddock out early. Because of his size, Ruddock could afford to have such horrible defense against Tyson..though he still got knocked around in the early rounds.
The Mongoose is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum