Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 07-23-2012, 12:05 PM   #1
Ne5ville14
Rationalist by default...
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default so...what next for Faber ?

Is Faber the new Florian ? Trying to switch weight to finally put his hand on a title ?

Is it the end for the California kid ?

IMO maybe he will stick around for 1 or 2 years, but without any chance of getting a title he will retire soon and focus on Alpha male ?

Thoughts ?
Ne5ville14 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2012, 12:28 PM   #2
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: so...what next for Faber ?

Probably about right , the Florian comparison , hmmmm , not for me , Florian derived from BJJ , Faber wrestling , and it shows , you can't bully Faber , if you beat him its because you have a very sound technical game in all areas , Florian gets bullied by wrestlers , i don't see the comparison

Looking through the division Faber has lots of good and exciting matches in front of him , tough guys who he can beat , anyone would be mad not to have him ranked at the top of the division , not the very top clearly but you get my point

I honestly wouldn't count out Faber in the title picture either , he has the capability of beating Cruz and Barao for me (a change of tactics with more wrestling required) , but he's lost pretty decisively to both IMHO , even though he's had success against both , he did unequivocally lose both fights ........................... its gonna be really difficult for Faber to beat either but i believe he's capable of causing a shock

Question being , he's 33 , he's been ranked P4P and he's been on top of the world before , he's come back a better fighter in the subsequent 2 title fights and lost against better guys , can he keep getting up for the fight ?? , Alpha Male is booming with new recruits and he may just sit on that and focus on that , who could blame him ??
thewinfella is offline  Top
Old 07-23-2012, 12:43 PM   #3
LHL
Captain Freedom
East Side VIP

vCash: 2835

I honestly think he is using his stand up at the lower weight too much now. He has lost the speed and explosive advantage he had against most at featherweight even there he got found out against the top level guys. Now he is still a good striker at bantam but slower and not as talented as the others. He should get back to his submission wrestling as a base he looks much bigger than most down there but isn't using it to his advantage to standing with guys who are much quicker now. Did he even attempt to get Barao down? I need to watch it again was really tired when it was on.

Hope he keeps going I'm a big Faber fan like thewin says still a lot of good fights for him to have but again maybe the age is a factor.
LHL is offline  Top
Old 07-23-2012, 12:48 PM   #4
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHL View Post
I honestly think he is using his stand up at the lower weight too much now. He has lost the speed and explosive advantage he had against most at featherweight even there he got found out against the top level guys. Now he is still a good striker at bantam but slower and not as talented as the others. He should get back to his submission wrestling as a base he looks much bigger than most down there but isn't using it to his advantage to standing with guys who are much quicker now. Did he even attempt to get Barao down? I need to watch it again was really tired when it was on.

Hope he keeps going I'm a big Faber fan like thewin says still a lot of good fights for him to have but again maybe the age is a factor.
Did he ever shoot for a double no ?? , did he half hearted heartily attempt a single ?? yes , 2 or 3 times , caught a leg in the 4th and closed the gap looking for a TD but Barao was solid

I couldn't agree more with what you are saying , Faber is a wrestler and a dam good one , with the strength and cardio to make that style effective for him , i believe he can out strike the vast majority of the division but certainly not Barao
Old 07-23-2012, 01:07 PM   #5
LHL
Captain Freedom
East Side VIP

vCash: 2835

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewinfella View Post
Did he ever shoot for a double no ?? , did he half hearted heartily attempt a single ?? yes , 2 or 3 times , caught a leg in the 4th and closed the gap looking for a TD but Barao was solid

I couldn't agree more with what you are saying , Faber is a wrestler and a dam good one , with the strength and cardio to make that style effective for him , i believe he can out strike the vast majority of the division but certainly not Barao
I sort of found myself thinking back to the Aldo fight on Saturday. After a round of seeing Barao was the much better striker I couldn't help but think Faber should just keep trying to get this to the ground. Instead he kept trying to get the upper hand striking then the leg kicks caught up with him again and he had no chance of getting the take down or changing his game plan. Like you mentioned against a majority at Batam Faber has the striking advantage but his unwillingness to adapt against a better striker is holding him back. He really needs to use that size advantage as well. Easier said than done but I would of preferred to see Faber make a legitimate attempt to take him down rather than just getting beat up for a few rounds more.
LHL is offline  Top
Old 07-23-2012, 01:11 PM   #6
tyewil
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 677

Could he drop down to flyweight, does he struggle with weight?

Dana White seems to love him, can see him doing some exb fights like the LHW pride names do, for a couple of years
tyewil is offline  Top
Old 07-23-2012, 01:22 PM   #7
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHL View Post
I sort of found myself thinking back to the Aldo fight on Saturday. After a round of seeing Barao was the much better striker I couldn't help but think Faber should just keep trying to get this to the ground. Instead he kept trying to get the upper hand striking then the leg kicks caught up with him again and he had no chance of getting the take down or changing his game plan. Like you mentioned against a majority at Batam Faber has the striking advantage but his unwillingness to adapt against a better striker is holding him back. He really needs to use that size advantage as well. Easier said than done but I would of preferred to see Faber make a legitimate attempt to take him down rather than just getting beat up for a few rounds more.
For sure

Change up the attack , push Barao's cardio , make him work where he doesn't want too , all of the above Faber never done , and before the fight i was certain he would of !! , but credit to Barao he's a monster , who actually looked like the " bigger man " on the night
Old 07-23-2012, 01:24 PM   #8
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyewil View Post
Could he drop down to flyweight, does he struggle with weight?

Dana White seems to love him, can see him doing some exb fights like the LHW pride names do, for a couple of years
Not an option according to Faber
Old 07-23-2012, 02:04 PM   #9
Will Cooling
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Hopefully Torres
Will Cooling is offline  Top
Old 07-23-2012, 02:17 PM   #10
HeGlassedMe
ufc is the new pet rock
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 109

A can or retirement.
HeGlassedMe is offline  Top
Old 07-23-2012, 05:49 PM   #11
SouthpawSlayer
Im coming for you
East Side Guru

he is muck plain and simple, all these feints he was throwing the other night and never finished the move he knew he was losing and done jack ****, all style no substance whatsoever, no stand up game to his name terrible performance especially for the main event, i didnt give him a round, best part of the fight for me was watching baroa celebrate jumping around like a madman after buffer read his name
SouthpawSlayer is offline  Top
Old 07-23-2012, 07:53 PM   #12
Primate
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewinfella View Post
Faber is a wrestler and a dam good one , with the strength and cardio to make that style effective for him
Honestly, I have my doubts about his cardio. While it's definitely not bad, it doesn't seem good enough for him to really push the pace against top guys.
Primate is offline  Top
Old 07-23-2012, 09:01 PM   #13
jimmie
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

How can Faber turn into a Florian ? Faber was the WEC Featherweight Champion, the # 1 guy for many years and defended his title 5 times.
jimmie is offline  Top
Old 07-23-2012, 10:39 PM   #14
Ne5ville14
Rationalist by default...
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmie View Post
How can Faber turn into a Florian ? Faber was the WEC Featherweight Champion, the # 1 guy for many years and defended his title 5 times.

By jumping weight, getting into title fight and not winning ?
Ne5ville14 is offline  Top
Old 07-24-2012, 05:44 AM   #15
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primate View Post
Honestly, I have my doubts about his cardio. While it's definitely not bad, it doesn't seem good enough for him to really push the pace against top guys.
Im starting to form that opinion myself

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum