Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 07-25-2012, 11:54 AM   #1
JFT96
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Tavoris Cloud vs Jean Pascal

The fight is a few weeks away but there doesn't seem to be too much hype around it. I personally think it could be a great fight and am really looking forward to it.

Cloud looked poor last time out but Campillo is a really awkward fighter to face and it didn't surprise me to see him winning the fight comfortably, on my scorecard at least. However, I like Cloud & think he's been unfortunate in the sense that he was given a massive billing before stepping up to World Class level vs. Woods and has more often than not struggled to live up to that tag. His power is good, but not exceptional at the top level and I almost feel that since he realised that, he's had to try and develop more to his game which is not an easy thing to do vs. top class opponents. The Woods & Johnson fights were great learning curves for him and he's looked to have become more refined as a fighter since them IMO but there's still more to do.

There was a feeling Pascal had been 'exposed' in the two Hopkins fights but I think that's a bit unfair really and just see it as a case of Hopkins outsmarting him, which is not a surprise really. Remember that his quirky style had been very effective in beating Dawson in the first place so I think he deserves to be mentionned up there with the top Light Heavyweights around.

I can see this being a fight in which Pascal starts strongly and takes the first few rounds before Cloud's discipline and power starts to take effect later on. Pascal does seem to have stamina problems and Cloud at the very least forces you to work. I can see him getting more and more into it from the middle rounds on and forcing a late stoppage.

How do the rest of you see it?
JFT96 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2012, 12:02 PM   #2
BoxingAnalyst
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Re: Tavoris Cloud vs Jean Pascal

Multiple sources have advised ***********.com that a press conference has been scheduled for tomorrow morning in Montreal to announce the postponement of the IBF light heavyweight title fight between champion Tavoris Cloud (24-0, 19KOs) and former WBC beltholder Jean Pascal (26-2-1, 16KOs). The Showtime televised fight was scheduled to take place on August 11th at the Bell Centre in Montreal. The co-feature was going to have Adonis Stevenson taking on Donovan George in an IBF super middleweight eliminator.

A source in Cloud's camp told *********** the IBF champion is "ready to go." Sources indicate Pascal suffered a hand injury in training, but Pascal's camp has not confirmed the information. A conference call was scheduled to take place today, but canceled a few hours ago.

The potential new date being floated by both sides, based on a source close to the promotion, is October 13th. However, *********** has been told by another source that October 13 will not work for Showtime because of a conflict related to their televised coverage of the Olympics on the afternoon of October 14th.

Tomorrow's press conference should shed more light.
BoxingAnalyst is offline  Top
Old 07-25-2012, 01:03 PM   #3
JFT96
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxingAnalyst View Post
Multiple sources have advised ***********.com that a press conference has been scheduled for tomorrow morning in Montreal to announce the postponement of the IBF light heavyweight title fight between champion Tavoris Cloud (24-0, 19KOs) and former WBC beltholder Jean Pascal (26-2-1, 16KOs). The Showtime televised fight was scheduled to take place on August 11th at the Bell Centre in Montreal. The co-feature was going to have Adonis Stevenson taking on Donovan George in an IBF super middleweight eliminator.

A source in Cloud's camp told *********** the IBF champion is "ready to go." Sources indicate Pascal suffered a hand injury in training, but Pascal's camp has not confirmed the information. A conference call was scheduled to take place today, but canceled a few hours ago.

The potential new date being floated by both sides, based on a source close to the promotion, is October 13th. However, *********** has been told by another source that October 13 will not work for Showtime because of a conflict related to their televised coverage of the Olympics on the afternoon of October 14th.

Tomorrow's press conference should shed more light.
The Olympics in October?
JFT96 is offline  Top
Old 07-25-2012, 01:08 PM   #4
Lilo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFT96 View Post
The Olympics in October?
That's what I thought.

Shame, its a good fight.
Lilo is offline  Top
Old 07-25-2012, 01:08 PM   #5
BoxingAnalyst
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
The Olympics in October?
BoxingAnalyst is offline  Top
Old 07-26-2012, 03:33 PM   #6
a.irwin85
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Shame this has been postponed would have been a decent fight I'm my opinion!!
a.irwin85 is offline  Top
Old 07-26-2012, 07:01 PM   #7
Bronxbull666
The Beast From The East
ESB Senior Member

Great fight, no one seems to be dodging up at the top in the LHW division. Surprised neither of them have tried to get a Shumenov, or Cleverly fIgh.
Bronxbull666 is offline  Top
Old 07-26-2012, 07:17 PM   #8
Primadonna Kool
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Didn't even know they where fighting.
Primadonna Kool is offline  Top
Old 07-26-2012, 07:59 PM   #9
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Should be a interesting fight when it happens. Pascal will try and do his usual thing of trying to ambush, but his game and confidence may be up. Cloud hasn't exactly got a lot of bullets in his chamber either. Two flawed fighters with not a lot of different looks to give. Complete antithesis to Ward/Dawson in that sense. I've never been that high on Cloud, tbh. But can Pascal ambush him? Campillo did certain things that Pascal can't, and whatever we say about Cloud and we can probabily write a thesis on his flaws, he brings it.
slip&counter is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2012, 11:42 AM   #10
JFT96
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post
Should be a interesting fight when it happens. Pascal will try and do his usual thing of trying to ambush, but his game and confidence may be up. Cloud hasn't exactly got a lot of bullets in his chamber either. Two flawed fighters with not a lot of different looks to give. Complete antithesis to Ward/Dawson in that sense. I've never been that high on Cloud, tbh. But can Pascal ambush him? Campillo did certain things that Pascal can't, and whatever we say about Cloud and we can probabily write a thesis on his flaws, he brings it.
How do you see it going, mate? I, like you if that's what you are suggesting, actually think Campillo is techically a more rounded and better fighter than Pascal so I struggle to see Pascal being able to outbox him in the same way. Perhaps Pascal is a bit more tactically aware than the Spaniard but in a fighter like this vs someone as relentless as Cloud, I'm not sure if he can handle the pace and dominate sufficiently to win.
JFT96 is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2012, 06:24 PM   #11
SuspiciousChees
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Could Cloud be the one to brutally exploit Pascal's stamina issues.
SuspiciousChees is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2012, 05:17 PM   #12
tdw
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
The Olympics in October?
Golden Boy are doing a show on CBS on Oct 14th with some of the Olympians making their pro debuts
tdw is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2012, 06:34 PM   #13
lfcirishdog
Journeyman

Looking forward to this one. Always liked watching cloud fight, very solid style, good work-rate and power. Although Pascal has fought a higher calibre of opponents, i do think this is clouds defining fight. Gonna have a bet on cloud put it that way!
lfcirishdog is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum