Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-25-2012, 10:02 PM   #1
dyna
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1551
Default Why did Tyson duck Butterbean

BoxingInsider.com: What was your original goal in boxing?

Butterbean: I wanted to fight TysonÖI would still love to fight him. In K-1, my name was one that was thrown at Tysonís people to fight him in the K-1.

BoxingInsider.com: Two sluggers, about the same age and conditioning, Iíd probably pay to see it.

Butterbean: I can take a punch, since he got out of jail his chinís not the same.

BoxingInsider.com: Some have said that he has four good rounds to fight then he gasses, and youíre known for four rounders so youíd be getting the all out version.

Butterbean: Iíll fight him whatever he wants to fight, Tyson, unlike Holmes, is gonna come to fight, heís not gonna try to jab and stay away. Anybody who argues about Holmesí jab is an idiot. Holmes still has probably the best jab in boxing. Homes just used his jab and tried to stay away. Itís probably the worst fight I could have picked but it was a good payday, and a good chance if I do catch him, heís in trouble and they knew that going into the fight.

A post prison Mike Tyson vs Butterbean.

I could see Mike Tyson walking straight into a right overhand.
Would have been exciting.
dyna is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2012, 10:16 PM   #2
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Why did Tyson duck Butterbean

This is one of the major disgraces of the Tyson years, and it reeks of the blatant racisim that existed in the late 80's and early 90's. Much like his hero Dempsey, Tyson also drew the color line. This cowardly act however is never acknowledged by his fan boys.

The major cover-up begins in March of 86....Tyson reluctantly fought Steve Zouski after the public demanded that Tyson stop ducking him and the other avoided white contenders of the now famous white murders row. Tyson managed to eke out a victory by the slimest of margins....By all accounts he was hopitalized after this match and had to take an unprecendented 2 months off before his next match. Tyson would then go another 9 years before fighting another white boxer in Mcneely, and only then when sanctions were thretened.

During Tyson's so-called reign as "Black Champion" he cowardly ducked the great Gerry Cooney....Tyson said that there would never be another white champion, and it was not untill Michael Spinks bravely agreed to fight Cooney in 87. Yes, Cooney lost that fight but not before stealing the last bit of prime from Spinks leaving him easy pickings for Tyson. Tyson came along suddenly willing to fight Spinks only after Cooney had finnished him as a top level talent.

This is one of the biggest disgraces of the Tyson reign as "Black Champion"! he was unwilling to fight Cooney and Butterbean and avoided all of the great white murders row of contenders in the late 80's till Mcneely...Butterbean would have destroyed him...and since Tyson refused to fight him, I believe that Butterbean should rank above him on ATG lists...

This kind of racism remains a blight on our beloved sport, and Tyson should no longer recieve a free pass!
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Old 07-25-2012, 10:40 PM   #3
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475

Sir, once again you deign to impugn the reputation of a fierce fighter and GREAT champion in Mike Tyson who was rated very, very highly by the sages of his own era and the wise men that follow... I repudiate your revisionist revelation that Tyson ducked "white contenders" of the era as Tyson would have been crucified, repeat and reiterate and not redundantly I might add CRUCUFIED, had he chosen to accept a.d. white challenger... Besides which Tyson would have destroyed, demolished, and decimated the white ranks of the era as a 218 lb Roberto Duran would have, he feared no man and to insist otherwise is the nonsensical rant of a modernist snob... Cheers!
LittleRed is offline  Top
Old 07-26-2012, 06:08 AM   #4
MrBumboclart
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Butterbean's style was all wrong for Tyson. The graceful footwork and combination punching would be too much or Mike to handle. I would imagine The Bean would outbox Tyson to a points win.
MrBumboclart is offline  Top
Old 07-26-2012, 06:15 AM   #5
manbearpig
A Scottish Noob
ESB Addict

vCash: 1185

This is a well played out thread. Props to the replies.
manbearpig is offline  Top
Old 07-26-2012, 08:02 AM   #6
Azzer85
ATG
East Side Guru

I always knew Tyson was a racist

Look at all the white fighters he ducked
Vitali
Wladmir
Valuev
Sanders
Morrison
Butterbean

Then when he finally faced one (Mcbride) we all know what happened

Shame on you Mike
Azzer85 is offline  Top
Old 07-26-2012, 08:14 AM   #7
salty trunks
Contender
ESB Senior Member

As much as Tyson disgraced the sport he wouldnt take it to this level. I remember Butterbean getting on tv and calling Tyson stupid and all kinds of disrespect. Tyson never took the bait. It was the Apollo Creed trunks that scared him.
salty trunks is offline  Top
Old 07-26-2012, 08:27 AM   #8
Azzer85
ATG
East Side Guru

Tyson probably would gas in this fight

I mean who wouldnt get tired hitting that sack of shit over and over and not having any effect?
Azzer85 is offline  Top
Old 07-26-2012, 08:34 AM   #9
jbels08
Journeyman

Butterbean is the closest thing we have to a Sonny Liston today, he has a hard jab, great chin, and solid power. While also possessing great intimidation and scare tactics to future opponents by kayoing people with such ruthlessness that it would've made the whole Black Murderers Row turn white as a ghost from fear.
jbels08 is offline  Top
Old 07-26-2012, 08:43 AM   #10
MadcapMaxie
Contender
ESB Senior Member

No way Tyson could deal with that pasty, white speed and ferocity. Butterbeans crafty footwork and fast combos would have Tyson's head spinning. Not since SRR has there been a boxer with the combination of such speed, power, chin and skills.
MadcapMaxie is offline  Top
Old 07-26-2012, 12:48 PM   #11
Foreman Hook
☆☆☆ G$ora ☆☆☆
ESB Addict

vCash: 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzer85 View Post
I always knew Tyson was a racist

Look at all the white fighters he ducked
Vitali
Wladmir
Valuev
Sanders
Morrison
Butterbean

Then when he finally faced one (Bummy "Bum Bum" Mcbride) we all know what happened

Shame on you Mike
Foreman Hook is offline  Top
Old 07-26-2012, 12:59 PM   #12
SBleeder
Journeyman

Tyson isn't the only fighter to deliberately avoid Butterbean.

Jersey Joe Walcott died in February of 1994... eight months before Butterbean made his professional debut. How very convenient.
SBleeder is offline  Top
Old 07-26-2012, 11:47 PM   #13
BillyBomber
Journeyman

Butterbean is the definition of the word athlete. I can see why Tyson ducked him.
BillyBomber is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2012, 12:32 AM   #14
dyna
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1551

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadcapMaxie View Post
No way Tyson could deal with that pasty, white speed and ferocity. Butterbeans crafty footwork and fast combos would have Tyson's head spinning. Not since SRR has there been a boxer with the combination of such speed, power, chin and skills.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
dyna is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2012, 12:51 AM   #15
Jayhaych
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBleeder View Post
Tyson isn't the only fighter to deliberately avoid Butterbean.

Jersey Joe Walcott died in February of 1994... eight months before Butterbean made his professional debut. How very convenient.
Jayhaych is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum