Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-26-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
babaluma
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Jack "Kid" Berg and Kid Chocolate...ATGs??

Can anyone tell me anything about these two guys? Berg was featured in a Jewish Museum I visited and he seems to have been a crowd pleaser but I can't really tell from his record how good he was? Wins over Tony Canzoneri, Kid Chocolate and Billy Petrolle look good versus a 3 round KO loss for the Lightweight title to Canzoneri. Also the Jnr Welterweight title he won seems to have been fairly lightly regarded at the time.

Then there is Kid Chocolate who Berg beat a couple of times. I have read he was a superb stylist and he has good wins over champions Fidel LaBarba and Al Singer against loses to Battling Battalino, Tony Canzoneri and Frankie Klick.

Both seem very very good but a little below ATG on their records, however I am not so familiar with many of the names on their records so how good are they?
babaluma is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2012, 03:33 AM   #2
Legend X
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jack "Kid" Berg and Kid Chocolate...ATGs??

Yes, I would say they were all-time greats.

That era was just stacked with ATGs. Even some guys who never won titles from that era are ATGs.

The great Sugar Ray Robinson was inspired by the great Kid Chocolate.

Chocolate and Berg have a lot of depth to their records.
Berg I'd rate in the top 5 British fighters ever.
Legend X is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2012, 05:39 AM   #3
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

vCash: 1337

Definitly, yes. Both have their fair amount of losses but this era was stacked with very good to great fighters and they fought each other all the time. Both have a very deep resume and some great wins - chocolate arguably beat Canzoneri in their first meeting, which for me is one of the greatest and best fights of all time, check it out, itīs on youtube. Berg should rate Top10 at 140 and chocolate top10 at 126 and 130.
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2012, 05:47 AM   #4
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1054

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaluma View Post
Can anyone tell me anything about these two guys? Berg was featured in a Jewish Museum I visited and he seems to have been a crowd pleaser but I can't really tell from his record how good he was? Wins over Tony Canzoneri, Kid Chocolate and Billy Petrolle look good versus a 3 round KO loss for the Lightweight title to Canzoneri. Also the Jnr Welterweight title he won seems to have been fairly lightly regarded at the time.

Then there is Kid Chocolate who Berg beat a couple of times. I have read he was a superb stylist and he has good wins over champions Fidel LaBarba and Al Singer against loses to Battling Battalino, Tony Canzoneri and Frankie Klick.

Both seem very very good but a little below ATG on their records, however I am not so familiar with many of the names on their records so how good are they?

Both are ATG's
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2012, 01:24 PM   #5
babaluma
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

I found the Kid Chocolate vs Tony Canzoneri fight and will check it out thanks! Odd how Berg is sort of under rated in the UK, is this because he fought a lot in the US? There seem to be a lot of great UK fighters who are forgotten as so many people are wrapped up in Calzaghe, Benn, Eubank etc..

All the guys below have a claim to be in the top ten along with the previously mentioned and possibly Naseem Hamed and Ricky Hatton... interesting to know who people think are the top ten UK fighters, I will have to search this forum!

Eric Boon
Ernie Roderick
Ken Buchanan
Freddie Welsh
Jimmy Wilde
Howard Winstone
Bob Fitzsimmons
Ted "Kid" Lewis
Terry Downes
Peter Kane
Benny Lynch
babaluma is offline  Top