Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2012, 11:27 AM   #31
Big Red
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,206
vCash: 1036
Default Re: Silva GSP!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekcutnevets View Post
I read that Alves was 190 on fight night, and GSP was 185.

I did not say GSP was Silva's size. Almost all fighters are at, or just above, the weight limit for the division above which they actually fight at. Most guys at 170 are close to 185 on fight night. Most middleweights are 205 come fight night. GSP has stated that if he fought Anderson at 185, it would be on a permanent move to middleweight. He said he would need to add at least 15 lbs of lean muscle mass in order to move up.
The size difference would be more then if Silva fought Jones and maybe even Dos Santos. And I think GSP matches up worse against Silva then Silva would against someone like Jones. GSP is not a big banger and would not be able to out strike Silva which would leave him take downs. And once he gets his man down he is not real that good at ground and pound or submision. I think he would have a real hard time taking down Silva also.

I would be very surprised if he decided to take the fight as he can't win it imo. Only reason I could see him doing it is for money, but he can have big money fights at welterweight.
Big Red is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2012, 11:59 AM   #32
WATERBOY
I Worship Steven Tucker
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 750
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Silva GSP!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red View Post
The size difference would be more then if Silva fought Jones and maybe even Dos Santos. And I think GSP matches up worse against Silva then Silva would against someone like Jones. GSP is not a big banger and would not be able to out strike Silva which would leave him take downs. And once he gets his man down he is not real that good at ground and pound or submision. I think he would have a real hard time taking down Silva also.

I would be very surprised if he decided to take the fight as he can't win it imo. Only reason I could see him doing it is for money, but he can have big money fights at welterweight.
You don't think GSP has good ground an pound?
WATERBOY is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:32 PM   #33
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: InYourMouth, NC
Posts: 6,551
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Silva GSP!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red View Post
The size difference would be more then if Silva fought Jones and maybe even Dos Santos. And I think GSP matches up worse against Silva then Silva would against someone like Jones. GSP is not a big banger and would not be able to out strike Silva which would leave him take downs. And once he gets his man down he is not real that good at ground and pound or submision. I think he would have a real hard time taking down Silva also.

I would be very surprised if he decided to take the fight as he can't win it imo. Only reason I could see him doing it is for money, but he can have big money fights at welterweight.
Did you read the op? Sores said Silva could possibly make 170. It's not like he was a teenager the last time he fought at that weight. Wasn't he between 29 and 31 his last fight at welterweight? GSP may not have to move to 185 for this fight.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:43 PM   #34
Kittikasem
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,255
vCash: 500
Default Re: Silva GSP!!!!!!!!

I don't think Silva could safely make 170.

Equally, people talking about him walking about at 230 are way off. His limbs are far too thin for that. He'd need to have a gut like Roy Nelson to be 230.

And GSP is a big welterweight, for sure. Not crazy big like Thiago Alves or Anthony Johnson when he fought there, but his torso/frame are big for ww. Not undersized by any stretch of the imagination whatsoever.

A catchweight fight between them at 176-180 would not see a massive difference in their fightnight weights. I'd estimate GSP would be 190ish, Anderson would be 205 at most.

GET IT ON!
Kittikasem is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:44 PM   #35
Kittikasem
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,255
vCash: 500
Default Re: Silva GSP!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red View Post
The size difference would be more then if Silva fought Jones and maybe even Dos Santos.
You are focusing waaaaaaaaaaay too much on height.
Kittikasem is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:01 PM   #36
Big Red
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,206
vCash: 1036
Default Re: Silva GSP!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittikasem View Post
You are focusing waaaaaaaaaaay too much on height.

I think GSP is already musled up quite a bit. If he did not lift as much he would probably be barely above 170. He says he lifts to look good when he is fighting. If Silva lifted like GSP does he would probably not be able to make 185.

Here is some iformation below that backs up what I am talking about.

It would be a dream matchup for UFC welterweight champion [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] to move up to middleweight and challenge titleholder [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

If GSP is going to try a new weight division, though, his trainer would instead recommend a drop to lightweight.

“Georges is not a very big welterweight,” coach Firas Zahabi told the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]. “People might think he is. He’s actually not very big. Him making 170 [pounds] is extremely easy for him. Honestly it’s probably one of the easiest weight cuts for all the fighters I coach, and I coach a lot of professional fighters. Georges making 170 is getting a little too easy for him. … Who knows what the cards hold, but if we don’t have a team member that’s champion or anything like that, I would recommend to him to go down first before going up.”

Right now they do have a team member that’s champion, however, in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]. That’s the only reason Zahabi hasn’t already suggested that St. Pierre should try to capture the lightweight belt in addition to his welterweight title.

“Obviously we’re part of the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] team and we’d never fight Frankie Edgar because we’re also Renzo Gracie fighters,” Zahabi said. “But if that wasn’t the case, I’d rather [St. Pierre] go down to 155.”

Zahabi explained that St. Pierre has a very lean body type that doesn’t put on much muscle unless he’s doing Olympic-style weightlifting. That’s part of his regimen now but could be reduced or eliminated to lower his walking weight and set up a cut to 155 pounds.

“I really think he could lose a little bit of muscle,” Zahabi said. “... Just doing the weight cut from maybe 175, he would make it down to [155] quite easily.”

That’s not to say Zahabi is ruling out a middleweight matchup against Silva at some point. He supports a move in either direction, up or down, as long as the timing is right. At the end of the day, the aim is to hold two titles in two divisions simultaneously. In Zahabi’s view, the first fighter to pull it off in the UFC will never be forgotten.

“I’m sure once it happens for the first time, it will open up a floodgate and over the years we’ll have more and more champions with two belts at the same time,” Zahabi said. “But the first guy that’s going to break that door open, he’s going to be somebody special and somebody that is always going to be remembered.”

Last edited by Big Red; 07-28-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Big Red is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:03 PM   #37
Big Red
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,206
vCash: 1036
Default Re: Silva GSP!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekcutnevets View Post
Did you read the op? Sores said Silva could possibly make 170. It's not like he was a teenager the last time he fought at that weight. Wasn't he between 29 and 31 his last fight at welterweight? GSP may not have to move to 185 for this fight.
I doubt he can make 170, but if he can then the fight would be on. It would be a big event. Sonnen weighed 215 when he fought Silva and Silva does not look much smaller if at all.
Big Red is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:21 PM   #38
Big Red
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,206
vCash: 1036
Default Re: Silva GSP!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATERBOY View Post
You don't think GSP has good ground an pound?
I don't think he is good enough at ground and pound to trouble Silva with it to much. I Remember he beat up Penn pretty good with it and he landed a good knee to the ribs against another fighter. I would say his ground and pound is good, but not great. Not as good as Sonnens.
Big Red is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:44 PM   #39
Kittikasem
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,255
vCash: 500
Default Re: Silva GSP!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red View Post
I think GSP is already musled up quite a bit. If he did not lift as much he would probably be barely above 170. He says he lifts to look good when he is fighting. If Silva lifted like GSP does he would probably not be able to make 185.

Here is some iformation below that backs up what I am talking about.

It would be a dream matchup for UFC welterweight champion [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] to move up to middleweight and challenge titleholder [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

If GSP is going to try a new weight division, though, his trainer would instead recommend a drop to lightweight.

“Georges is not a very big welterweight,” coach Firas Zahabi told the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]. “People might think he is. He’s actually not very big. Him making 170 [pounds] is extremely easy for him. Honestly it’s probably one of the easiest weight cuts for all the fighters I coach, and I coach a lot of professional fighters. Georges making 170 is getting a little too easy for him. … Who knows what the cards hold, but if we don’t have a team member that’s champion or anything like that, I would recommend to him to go down first before going up.”

Right now they do have a team member that’s champion, however, in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]. That’s the only reason Zahabi hasn’t already suggested that St. Pierre should try to capture the lightweight belt in addition to his welterweight title.

“Obviously we’re part of the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] team and we’d never fight Frankie Edgar because we’re also Renzo Gracie fighters,” Zahabi said. “But if that wasn’t the case, I’d rather [St. Pierre] go down to 155.”

Zahabi explained that St. Pierre has a very lean body type that doesn’t put on much muscle unless he’s doing Olympic-style weightlifting. That’s part of his regimen now but could be reduced or eliminated to lower his walking weight and set up a cut to 155 pounds.

“I really think he could lose a little bit of muscle,” Zahabi said. “... Just doing the weight cut from maybe 175, he would make it down to [155] quite easily.”

That’s not to say Zahabi is ruling out a middleweight matchup against Silva at some point. He supports a move in either direction, up or down, as long as the timing is right. At the end of the day, the aim is to hold two titles in two divisions simultaneously. In Zahabi’s view, the first fighter to pull it off in the UFC will never be forgotten.

“I’m sure once it happens for the first time, it will open up a floodgate and over the years we’ll have more and more champions with two belts at the same time,” Zahabi said. “But the first guy that’s going to break that door open, he’s going to be somebody special and somebody that is always going to be remembered.”
I don't have time to read all of this now, but if you think the size difference between GSP and Anderson is greater than the size difference between Anderson and Cigano, you're very, very wrong. And Jones will be a 235-240lbs heavyweight within the next year, wait and see.
Kittikasem is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:48 PM   #40
Kittikasem
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,255
vCash: 500
Default Re: Silva GSP!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red View Post
I don't think he is good enough at ground and pound to trouble Silva with it to much. I Remember he beat up Penn pretty good with it and he landed a good knee to the ribs against another fighter. I would say his ground and pound is good, but not great. Not as good as Sonnens.
A limp-wristed gay teenager holding a fly-swatter in each hand would unleash more damaging GnP than Sonnen.

I think you are confusing top control with GnP. Sonnen is great at holding people down and controlling them, but his GnP is pathetic, that's why he never TKOs anyone.

For what it's worth, I think GSP has better GnP than Sonnen (no-one does as little damage from the top as Chael). His top control may not be as good because he isn't as heavy/big/strong (couldn't keep Thiago Alves down, I think Sonnen could), but his takedowns are just as good, so it evens out.
Kittikasem is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:58 PM   #41
Big Red
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,206
vCash: 1036
Default Re: Silva GSP!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittikasem View Post
I don't have time to read all of this now, but if you think the size difference between GSP and Anderson is greater than the size difference between Anderson and Cigano, you're very, very wrong. And Jones will be a 235-240lbs heavyweight within the next year, wait and see.
It just talks about how he is into olympic weight lifting and is bulked up. And if he stopped the heavy weight training he could drop 10 pounds of muscle. His trainer says GSP might go down to 155 and try to be the champ in two weight classes.

Dos Santos is not much over 230 pounds and he obviously is jacked up a little from weight training. If Silva put on 10 or 15 pounds of muscle he would not be far off that weight. I don't expect Silva to do that but that is basicly the same thing as GSP fighting Silva.
Big Red is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:43 PM   #42
afterglow
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 691
vCash: 500
Default Re: Silva GSP!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red View Post
Not as good as Sonnens.

LOL...Wut?

Sonnen has some of the weakest GNP ever.
afterglow is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:29 PM   #43
Big Red
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,206
vCash: 1036
Default Re: Silva GSP!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterglow View Post
LOL...Wut?

Sonnen has some of the weakest GNP ever.
He was able to dominate for 4 rounds against one of the best ever with some of the best ground and pound I have ever seen. Sonnen used a lot of variety with his ground and pound. I think Jones is the best Ground and Pound guy though.

GSP is to passive with his ground and pound and Since then Penn fight its been not a very big part of his game.
Big Red is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:24 PM   #44
sugarngold
RIDDUM
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Mutantville, North Carolina
Posts: 9,273
vCash: 157
Default Re: Silva GSP!!!!!!!!

This is the type of marquee fight that the UFC can promote for a good six months. It would be great to rejuvenate the sport since everyone has become so disenchanted due to the rampant injury bug cancellations.
sugarngold is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:36 PM   #45
Overhill
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: PED MESS PART 1
Posts: 3,193
vCash: 1437
Default Re: Silva GSP!!!!!!!!

Mismatch that doesn't make sense unless Silva takes a dive.
Overhill is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013