Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 07-22-2012, 03:39 PM   #1
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 847
Default Renan Barao

Where do you think he is on the P4P list after last night? Do you think he can beat Cruz?

He is on a 30 fight unbeaten streak, which is currently the longest in MMA by far, considering Lombard's was broken last night. I'm not sure who number two is now (Anderson and Jimmo?)

His best wins:

Rony Mariano Bezerra
Chris Cariaso
Cole Escovedo
Brad Pickett
Scott Jorgensen
Urijah Faber

I think he has a really good shot at beating Cruz.
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2012, 04:21 PM   #2
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166
Default Re: Renan Barao

Well, like I said IŽm not sure if heŽll beat Cruz.....I hope youŽre right though Rob, when you said he can beat Cruz.....
HeŽll certainly be more exciting as a champion than Cruz IMO.....
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2012, 04:32 PM   #3
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Barao for me is just outside the top 10 P4P , and yes , he has a very very good chance at beating Cruz after what i saw last night

I will add that i was bitterly disappointed Faber didn't go to his wrestling , 3 or 4 half hearted attempts at a single , and that was that , he must of known going into the fight Barao was going to be stalking and looking to strike , i know Barao is superb on the ground but Faber has a pretty good top game / base , good enough to handle Barao from the top IMHO

Other side to that argument , Barao's TDD looked " very solid " , maybe Faber was deterred by Barao's strength once they locked up

Either way this guy is gonna be a real handful for Dominic Cruz

thewinfella is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2012, 04:57 PM   #4
BobDigi5060
East Side MMA
East Side Guru

vCash: 553

Renan Barao will finish him in the championship rounds.

He is the truth, but stiill a little green. Cruz won't be at his best coming off knee surgery.
BobDigi5060 is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2012, 06:15 PM   #5
Matty lll
Sweet Scientist
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

I think he defintely has the ability to at the very least give CRuz a real tough fight, maybe even beat him.
Matty lll is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2012, 07:32 PM   #6
SugarShane_24
ESB good-looking member
ESB Addict

My opinion, Cruz is a better striker than Faber. More mobile and fleetfooted too.

Cruz-Barao will be a stand-up war.

Barao is more powerful on all 4 limbs though.

I'd favor Cruz, but won't be surprised if Barao takes it.

Either way, I see a close tussle.
SugarShane_24 is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2012, 10:32 PM   #7
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Floyd View Post
Where do you think he is on the P4P list after last night? Do you think he can beat Cruz?

He is on a 30 fight unbeaten streak, which is currently the longest in MMA by far, considering Lombard's was broken last night. I'm not sure who number two is now (Anderson and Jimmo?)

His best wins:

Rony Mariano Bezerra
Chris Cariaso
Cole Escovedo
Brad Pickett
Scott Jorgensen
Urijah Faber

I think he has a really good shot at beating Cruz.
I would have him as the favorite over Cruz, and honestly might have favored him before last night. I wanted to see him against a wrestler of Faber's caliber, and he delivered; but that is a different style match-up from what Cruz offers.

I feel that Cruz has found a way to use his athleticism to his advantage, and he finds a way to out strike people with grappling as a strong suit. Against Barao, Cruz will be facing a strong submission fighter that has better stand-up. Particularly in the kicking department.

I think that a lot of Cruz' in and out movement will be thwarted by Barao's leg kicks, and I don't think Cruz' exceptional core strength ever comes into play because Barao won't care anything about taking him down.

I think that getting injured and allowing Barao to rise to the top of the heap has Cruz' title in serious jeopardy.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 07-23-2012, 06:23 AM   #8
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarShane_24 View Post
My opinion, Cruz is a better striker than Faber. More mobile and fleetfooted too.

Cruz-Barao will be a stand-up war.

Barao is more powerful on all 4 limbs though.

I'd favor Cruz, but won't be surprised if Barao takes it.

Either way, I see a close tussle.
Hmm interesting opinion that !! , what does fleet footed mean ?? I'm not being a cunt here I'm just wondering if you mean flat footed in which case that would put him at a disadvantage ??
Old 07-23-2012, 06:24 AM   #9
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekcutnevets View Post
I would have him as the favorite over Cruz, and honestly might have favored him before last night. I wanted to see him against a wrestler of Faber's caliber, and he delivered; but that is a different style match-up from what Cruz offers.

I feel that Cruz has found a way to use his athleticism to his advantage, and he finds a way to out strike people with grappling as a strong suit. Against Barao, Cruz will be facing a strong submission fighter that has better stand-up. Particularly in the kicking department.

I think that a lot of Cruz' in and out movement will be thwarted by Barao's leg kicks, and I don't think Cruz' exceptional core strength ever comes into play because Barao won't care anything about taking him down.

I think that getting injured and allowing Barao to rise to the top of the heap has Cruz' title in serious jeopardy.
Good post that , accurate ,
Old 07-23-2012, 06:36 AM   #10
Matty lll
Sweet Scientist
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewinfella View Post
Hmm interesting opinion that !! , what does fleet footed mean ?? I'm not being a cunt here I'm just wondering if you mean flat footed in which case that would put him at a disadvantage ??
Fleet footed means someone is quick, agile, light on their feet. That sort of thing
Matty lll is offline  Top
Old 07-23-2012, 11:03 AM   #11
Ne5ville14
Rationalist by default...
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewinfella View Post

As in Dungeons and Dragons rule 3.5, Fleet Foot feat means that you can run your full speed and turn 90 degree without any problem...

But I think Matty III explained it alot better then I did... !
Ne5ville14 is offline  Top
Old 07-23-2012, 11:12 AM   #12
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty lll View Post
Fleet footed means someone is quick, agile, light on their feet. That sort of thing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne5ville14 View Post
As in Dungeons and Dragons rule 3.5, Fleet Foot feat means that you can run your full speed and turn 90 degree without any problem...

But I think Matty III explained it alot better then I did... !
Thank you Sir's , never heard the term before
Old 07-23-2012, 11:19 AM   #13
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

Im just re watching this fight , last night was a bit hazy , and what I'm seeing is a striker (Barao) against a wrestler who believes he can strike

Barao is one of the current boxer / grapplers in the sport who seems to have the complete package for that particular style , superb stand up both hands and kicks , his range / distance control is something to behold , he's like Aldo , poise , balance , power , speed this kid has everything , he really does

Faber made the mistake of standing there with Barao for too long , lots of movement yes , lots of faints and level changing , but he never shot in ?? , why faint and change levels if your not going to shoot ?? , by the 3rd round Faber was too predictable , and in the end became an easy target for the excellent Barao

There is a difference between Cruz and Faber , there's a few actually but the main one is that Cruz has a better wrestling for MMA game than Faber , its more dominant and its more effective , if Faber locks up with somebody he'll drop for a double , if he has someone hurt he'll shoot for a double , Cruz will push a pace and make you defend a TD or 2 , or 3 or 4 , the kids relentless , very fit , very strong , very athletic

I see this fight (Cruz Barao) as one of the most intriguing and fascinating matches i think i can remember there ever being in recent times , its literally a super fight for the purists , cannot wait !!!
Old 07-23-2012, 12:07 PM   #14
Ne5ville14
Rationalist by default...
ESB Addict

I starting to think Faber kryptonite are leg kicks... !
Ne5ville14 is offline  Top
Old 07-23-2012, 12:10 PM   #15
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne5ville14 View Post
I starting to think Faber kryptonite are leg kicks... !
Dedé Pederneiras said something like that to Renan on the corner during the fight....
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum