Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2012, 04:56 PM   #1
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 36,381
vCash: 1000
Default De La Hoya's jab

The bigfaced fool is retired now, god love him, so let's talk about Oscar's jab. How good? You've all read that quote...anything in it?

What's his best jabbing performance? First two rounds with Floyd aside
McGrain is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2012, 05:18 PM   #2
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 36,381
vCash: 1000
Default Re: De La Hoya's jab

Steward said that Oscar had one of the best 3 or 4 jabs of all time.
McGrain is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:23 PM   #3
masterold
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 321
vCash: 1000
Default Re: De La Hoya's jab

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
What's his best jabbing performance? *First two rounds with Floyd aside
Vs Shane Mosley II or Steve Forbes...
masterold is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:38 PM   #4
dpw417
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,276
vCash: 150
Default Re: De La Hoya's jab

I think Oscar had an excellent jab...but regarding Steward's statement, I think his main charge Thomas Hearns was a more effective and fluid jabber. Reason being is footwork and what is presented to you as an opponent. For example, when Hearns fought SRL (a very mobile fighter) Hearns changed the position of his feet to keep the target in range to be hit with the jab. Another fighter who built his entire offense and defense around the jab and moved his feet to find the range was Carlos Monzon, although most people consider him to be a statue (not the case)...Freddie Roach commented that Oscar instead of stepping with Floyd Mayweather, to keep him in range, instead followed him...and in the process took away his own jab by not being in position to let it go...
dpw417 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:56 PM   #5
hookfromhell
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,088
vCash: 427
Default Re: De La Hoya's jab

Oscar has an atg jab. Master of feinting, atg left hook.
Mayweather did not have an answer for Oscar's jab.
Ive never seen Oscar Mosley 2 in good quality though
a lot of people say Oscar deserved the win. Evaluate his jab that
night. Oscars best head to head weight? I say lightweight I know
a lot believe 140 thoughts?
hookfromhell is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:15 PM   #6
Jear
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 772
vCash: 1000
Default Re: De La Hoya's jab

Like most converted southpaws ODLH had a very good jab. Used it very well and set up the short left hook off it
Jear is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:31 PM   #7
LancsTerrible
Different Forms of Game.
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: King of Mexico.
Posts: 4,331
vCash: 2238
Default Re: De La Hoya's jab

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
The bigfaced fool is retired now, god love him, so let's talk about Oscar's jab. How good? You've all read that quote...anything in it?

What's his best jabbing performance? First two rounds with Floyd aside
His jab was top notch in his fight with Miguel Angel Gonzalez, I might be swayed to say it was his best jabbing performance even if the performance itself is marred by Oscar's complacency come the last few rounds.

Tito, Ruelas, Mayorga (he might be a magnet for punches but he was having some success in avoiding Oscar's other shots come round 4/5/6, he just couldn't stop the jab though), Hernandez, Quartey, Vargas and Chavez 1 spring to mind where he put it to good use but don't stand out in the same way as the MAG fight as he performed very well in over areas too.

It really stood out in the Mosley 2, Luis Ramon Campas (so does the right hand), and Rivera fights. Where I felt the jab over arched the rest of his game.

Last edited by LancsTerrible; 04-21-2012 at 07:13 PM.
LancsTerrible is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:07 PM   #8
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 7,550
vCash: 1000
Default Re: De La Hoya's jab

De La Hoya's jab was at it's best against Chavez, Gonzalez and Trinidad.
Robbi is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:09 PM   #9
timmers612
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,108
vCash: 1000
Default Re: De La Hoya's jab

An excellent jab and one that would have won him his bouts against both Floyd and Shane 2 had he not abandoned it along the route.
timmers612 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:44 AM   #10
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,545
vCash: 1000
Default Re: De La Hoya's jab

I'm not sure about the quality of the opponent but against Chavez it was impressive.

In Mosley 2 it was really important and Vargas too it was a good weapon and those are very good rejuvinated performances from him. Also against Hopkins it saw him get off quicker. Delahoya post-Trinidad became a bit more of a rounded boxer in my view

Quartey and Sturm outjabed him and Whitaker took his jab away. He also dispensed with the jab at times, ie Mosley 1. Against Trinidad it was a very weak flick when he was on the back foot, although it was good at times when he actually came forward. I don't think Winky would have been a good match up for him

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
Steward said that Oscar had one of the best 3 or 4 jabs of all time.
Steward says allot of things
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:50 AM   #11
Boxed Ears
Irony Himmler
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Nakalenisuka, Russia
Posts: 24,122
vCash: 26665
Default Re: De La Hoya's jab

I rate his jab between KO White's and Big Boy Brown's. Quite nice, but not top five stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
I'm not sure about the quality of the opponent but against Chavez it was impressive.

In Mosley 2 it was really important and Vargas too it was a good weapon and those are very good rejuvinated performances from him. Also against Hopkins it saw him get off quicker. Delahoya post-Trinidad became a bit more of a rounded boxer in my view

Quartey and Sturm outjabed him and Whitaker took his jab away. He also dispensed with the jab at times, ie Mosley 1. Against Trinidad it was a very weak flick when he was on the back foot, although it was good at times when he actually came forward. I don't think Winky would have been a good match up for him



Steward says allot of things
Yeah, I always said Winky should've taken the damn fight. ...Fokin' Winky.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:53 AM   #12
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,545
vCash: 1000
Default Re: De La Hoya's jab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
Yeah, I always said Winky should've taken the damn fight. ...Fokin' Winky.
6million career high payday he turned down wanting more. Turned down a Taylor rematch. I'm sure there are others. He could have had quite a career. I'm not sure it wasn't him who turned down Mayweather, wanting purse parity too. What a donkey, he could have Mayweather/Delahoya/Taylor on his resume, a MW title that he could have kept for some time. I don't see Pavlik dethroning Winky either
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:20 AM   #13
Boxed Ears
Irony Himmler
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Nakalenisuka, Russia
Posts: 24,122
vCash: 26665
Default Re: De La Hoya's jab

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
6million career high payday he turned down wanting more. Turned down a Taylor rematch. I'm sure there are others. He could have had quite a career. I'm not sure it wasn't him who turned down Mayweather, wanting purse parity too. What a donkey, he could have Mayweather/Delahoya/Taylor on his resume, a MW title that he could have kept for some time. I don't see Pavlik dethroning Winky either
Aye, exactly. Some of these guys, PP. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] Some of these guys.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:10 AM   #14
salty trunks
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,192
vCash: 500
Default Re: De La Hoya's jab

DLH had a great jab and lefthook, but thats where it ended.
salty trunks is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:49 AM   #15
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,540
vCash: 500
Default Re: De La Hoya's jab

He threw a really nice jab, but never seemed comfortable to me when actually in with someone jabbing proficiently back at him.

His jabbing style and mentality would work better against or fighters devoid of a jab themselves(or aggressive fighters willing to let him be the one getting off first with the punch) than it would another jabbing technician.
lora is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013