Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 07-31-2012, 01:44 AM   #46
globeman
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1300
Default Re: HOOPER BOMBs BROWNE!

Quote:
Say if our flag had a kangaroo on it in place of where the current Southern Cross is. (Not at all saying I would prefer that or thats what should be there) I would look at it and get why it is there. It is unique to our nation and no one else's. The Southern Cross is seen from many different countries like Brazil and Samoa and is on many different flags like New Zealands and PNG.
I kind of agree yet flags usually have kind of ties to kingdoms/Clans, Imperial adventures etc etc so in alot ways very few flags are "unique". Sure the Southern Cross is used by 2 other nations yet I dont see why that really matters..We are the most of important of the three, haha.

Quote:
Can I ask you a question? You said "you have an Anglo surname no doubt and you believe the flag does not represent you". What does me having an anglo surname have to do with anything? Why did you throw that comment in along with your question?
I bought up the Anglo surname because you said the flag does not represent you at all. If you have ancestry that has been in Australia for quite some time then perhaps theres a possibility you have relatives who have served under the Australian flag.

Quote:
Nothing on our flag is unique to Australia.
The Eureka flag perhaps.

Last edited by globeman; 07-31-2012 at 02:01 AM.
globeman is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2012, 01:51 AM   #47
wide_open_road
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 187

Quote:
Originally Posted by globeman View Post
I bought up the Anglo surname because you said the flag does not represent you at all. If you have ancestry that has been in Australia for quite some time then perhaps theres a possibility you have relatives who have served under the Australian flag.

Why would that be solely indicitive of being of Anglo Saxon decent??
wide_open_road is offline  Top
Old 07-31-2012, 02:10 AM   #48
daz52
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1195

Quote:
Originally Posted by globeman View Post
I kind of agree yet flags usually have kind of ties to kingdoms/Clans, Imperial adventures etc etc so in alot ways very few flags are "unique". Sure the Southern Cross is used by 2 other nations yet I dont see why that really matters..We are the most of important of the three, haha.

The Eureka flag perhaps.
Your point about of a lot of the flags not being very unique and having ties to kingdoms e.t.c is well taken. As I said earlier everyone has their own opinion I don't think it is a matter of wrong and right.
daz52 is offline  Top
Old 07-31-2012, 02:19 AM   #49
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StiffJab View Post
Fell asleep last night, any one got a link to the video?

Woods did well in his flyweight bout but faded after the first round. Still thought he had it in the bag but thats boxing.
Woods did look good for a round. But as you said he faded and stopped scoring the way he had in the 1st. Not sure I like his loose, hands-down stance. You need to be very talented to implement that sort of technique successfully.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:53 AM   #50
bluey
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

he will do well as a pro,if he stays out of jail, the games r spose to be non political,if we had no rules,may as well not have the games
bluey is offline  Top
Old 07-31-2012, 03:34 AM   #51
Caligula

No doubt he bought that shirt with white man's tax money.

Pretty much sums up Aboriginal Pride in this country: whinge, whinge, whinge about the white man, but make sure you do it with your hand out.
Caligula is offline  Top
Old 07-31-2012, 03:46 AM   #52
Trumpy
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula View Post

Pretty much sums up Aboriginal Pride in this country: whinge, whinge, whinge about the white man, but make sure you do it with your hand out.
Sums it up a lot ,, after all the kid has been subsidised by the white aussie paying puplic for a long time now ,, Unlike others in the team who have too work
Trumpy is offline  Top
Old 07-31-2012, 03:56 AM   #53
wide_open_road
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

whats wearing the shirt got to do with being ungrateful as an Australian for all he's recieved as an elite athlete??

He shouldnt have worn the shirt, but not because of the small minded petty niggling reasons of a hillbilly ****wit like you
Old 07-31-2012, 03:58 AM   #54
wide_open_road
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpy View Post
Sums it up a lot ,, after all the kid has been subsidised by the white aussie paying puplic for a long time now ,, Unlike others in the team who have too work

And who else???

dickhead, see above my last response, you're in the hillbilly ****wit class along with the boke above
Old 07-31-2012, 04:50 AM   #55
abe01
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 415

Quote:

for ****s sake
abe01 is offline  Top
Old 07-31-2012, 04:57 AM   #56
abe01
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 415

Fights on fox now
abe01 is offline  Top
Old 07-31-2012, 04:59 AM   #57
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166

I understand why the rule is there but you ask any punter on the street and that would be behind Hooper on this...no matter what ethnicity.

I guess the problem they want to avoid is people taking the piss and wearing really politically charged stuff ...then pointing to an example like Damo's and saying there is a precedent, so I can do it...we all know the difference but do they have a leg to stand on? Technically maybe they do.
I understand why the IOC put a blanket ban on it but it doesn't sit right for me, it's not big deal.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Old 07-31-2012, 05:06 AM   #58
IrnBruMan
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1325

Well, he broke the rules. The rules may be silly but they are there for a reason.

There is an element of reverse racism in this, especially in light of Mundine's comments about it - he broke the rules, he is not above the rules. If he doesn't like the rules, don't go to the Olympics.

Simple really.

Mundine will say anything to get publicity - if I was an Aboriginal sportsman I would cringe if he ever came out in support of me - him endorsing my actions would be like the kiss of death and I would know he was simply using me as a vehicle to push his own agenda and garner publicity for himself.

Besides, if the English never came to Australia, no Australian (regardless of their ethnic background) would have the opportunity to go to the Olympics.
IrnBruMan is offline  Top
Old 07-31-2012, 05:06 AM   #59
wide_open_road
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhataRock View Post
I understand why the rule is there but you ask any punter on the street and that would be behind Hooper on this...no matter what ethnicity.

I guess the problem they want to avoid is people taking the piss and wearing really politically charged stuff ...then pointing to an example like Damo's and saying there is a precedent, so I can do it...we all know the difference but do they have a leg to stand on? Technically maybe they do.
I understand why the IOC put a blanket ban on it but it doesn't sit right for me, it's not big deal.

Why doeant it sit right with you??

He's both ignorant & extremely arrogant, he needs to understand that he & his people are only one of multitudes of ethnic minorities competing for their larger country, Aboriginals arent that important in the political landscape & some of those other minorities like the Tamils etc might have a much fiercer political & social voice if allowed to "protest" at an event that shouldnt, cant have political grandstanding involved
Old 07-31-2012, 05:11 AM   #60
IrnBruMan
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1325

He's there representing his country.

The Olympic committee recognises his country as being Australia, and recognises the Australian flag as being one with a Union Jack and the Southern Cross and Federation star on it.

He decides he wants to show them and wears a singlet with the Aboriginal flag on it instead of the regulation Olympic-issued singlet.

He breaks the rules, he deals with the consequences.

If there weren't consequences, he would be receiving special treatment, which is reverse racism.
IrnBruMan is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum