Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2012, 04:06 PM   #106
Legend X
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: London
Posts: 2,378
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who had the better Career Resume...Liston or Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
That puts them quite a bit above what the 1900-1914 period offered, doesn't it?
I don't know. I don't understand where you get this stuff from.
If Sam Langford and Jack Johnson and Gunboat Smith etc. were quite a bit below 'tough guys off the bread line' who came later .... then it's a wonder a boxing match could even draw a crowd in those days.
I mean, these professional boxers couldn't even fight as well as the bums and drunks and under-employed labourers who were fighting in the gutter for free, right ?
Legend X is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2012, 04:17 PM   #107
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 12,175
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who had the better Career Resume...Liston or Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend X View Post
I don't know. I don't understand where you get this stuff from.
If Sam Langford and Jack Johnson and Gunboat Smith etc. were quite a bit below 'tough guys off the bread line' who came later .... then it's a wonder a boxing match could even draw a crowd in those days.
I mean, these professional boxers couldn't even fight as well as the bums and drunks and under-employed labourers who were fighting in the gutter for free, right ?

They didn't have internet pornography. They would bet on termites.

Seriously, Joe Louis is my favorite heavy so I don't think that poorly of the 1930's.
Seamus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:24 PM   #108
Legend X
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: London
Posts: 2,378
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who had the better Career Resume...Liston or Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
They didn't have internet pornography. They would bet on termites.

Seriously, Joe Louis is my favorite heavy so I don't think that poorly of the 1930's.
How poorly do you think of the 1910s ?
Legend X is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:35 PM   #109
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 14,396
vCash: 1200
Default Re: Who had the better Career Resume...Liston or Johnson

Seamus doesn't really rate any HW pre 1950's barring Louis that highly. He has the right to do so as it is a fair position to hold. I would argue he's a little too tough for the era, personally.
PetethePrince is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:45 PM   #110
KuRuPT
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,848
vCash: 500
Default Re: Who had the better Career Resume...Liston or Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
Was a different diet going to make Sam Langford 6-3 with a 78 inch reach? Would Tommy Burns be anything but a fat middlweight with zotfig hips?

And by the time we get to Jesse Owens in track and field, the heavyweight division had risen to a very high level, having evolved from the primordial ooze that was Johnson's era.
and yet u didnt answer the question at hand.. Was he slow?
KuRuPT is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:17 PM   #111
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 12,175
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who had the better Career Resume...Liston or Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuRuPT View Post
and yet u didnt answer the question at hand.. Was he slow?
**** no. 10.3 ain't slow as it is. Had he been training full time into his later 20's (rather than retiring out of college), had modern training regimens, and competed on modern tracks, he would be under 10. No doubt.
Seamus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:20 PM   #112
KuRuPT
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,848
vCash: 500
Default Re: Who had the better Career Resume...Liston or Johnson

That is still REALLY slow compared to 9.5 So if Johnson had modern training methods.. a proper childhood well he was well nourished... proper training equipement and world class trainers... He wouldn't be even bigger and better than he already was? See where i'm going with this? you must as you just lead your argument for Owens right where the argument has been at for Johnson since page 1...
KuRuPT is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:32 PM   #113
Legend X
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: London
Posts: 2,378
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who had the better Career Resume...Liston or Johnson

Jesse Owens ran on a dirt track. He'd be a top sprinter in any era.

With boxers, there's no meaurables like in sprinting. It's not that kind of sport. It's man versus man, pitting their wits against one another. They don't know what they will have to do from moment to moment to win the fightuntil it happens . It's like chess, or war. You make the right moves at the right time you win the fight.
No one can compare boxers from one era to another in any certain way, as far as head-to-head goes.
Sprinting is always the same - run as fast as possible down the track. No ifs or buts, the fastest man wins.
Legend X is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:54 PM   #114
KuRuPT
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,848
vCash: 500
Default Re: Who had the better Career Resume...Liston or Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend X View Post
Jesse Owens ran on a dirt track. He'd be a top sprinter in any era.

With boxers, there's no meaurables like in sprinting. It's not that kind of sport. It's man versus man, pitting their wits against one another. They don't know what they will have to do from moment to moment to win the fightuntil it happens . It's like chess, or war. You make the right moves at the right time you win the fight.
No one can compare boxers from one era to another in any certain way, as far as head-to-head goes.
Sprinting is always the same - run as fast as possible down the track. No ifs or buts, the fastest man wins.
Did you miss the ENTIRE premise of the other side.. which relied heavily on the fact that Johnson didn't beat any TRUE HW's and Liston himself was too big and modern for Johnson. I'm not sure how you could miss that part..but that is exactly where my analogy comes into play and the correlation is sound. Athletes are a product of their time.. Period.. If you're great in that time period when the techniques and training methods were all the same.. that carries just as much weight as people who were good in an era where techniques and training has improved. That, and to go further.. if we can give Owens credit for what he could've been with Modern training equipment and methods and diet.. then why couldn't and shouldn't we do the same with Johnson.. and fully expect him to be bigger.. stronger and more technical than he already was?
KuRuPT is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:58 PM   #115
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Martha's Vineyard
Posts: 13,440
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who had the better Career Resume...Liston or Johnson

Quote:
Would Tommy Burns be anything but a fat middlweight with zotfig hips?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAA
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:11 PM   #116
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 21,088
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who had the better Career Resume...Liston or Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuRuPT View Post
if we can give Owens credit for what he could've been with Modern training equipment and methods and diet.. then why couldn't and shouldn't we do the same with Johnson.. and fully expect him to be bigger.. stronger and more technical than he already was?
Do we even need to?
janitor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:26 PM   #117
KuRuPT
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,848
vCash: 500
Default Re: Who had the better Career Resume...Liston or Johnson

No, but to not even factor that into consideration.. when their whole argument stems from how a "real" HW should look and what real HW's somebody beat.. You would think a simple extrapolation wouldn't be too much to ask and consider. Especially when ones whole argument is based around said flawed logic.
KuRuPT is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:30 PM   #118
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 12,175
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who had the better Career Resume...Liston or Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuRuPT View Post
No, but to not even factor that into consideration.. when their whole argument stems from how a "real" HW should look and what real HW's somebody beat.. You would think a simple extrapolation wouldn't be too much to ask and consider. Especially when ones whole argument is based around said flawed logic.
It's based around my protestation that a 185 pound heavyweight beating a 156 pound opponent is not an achievement upon which to hang so much of your hat.

And if so, where are we going to place Young Peter Jackson, who turned the same trick two months later via KO?
Seamus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:14 AM   #119
Legend X
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: London
Posts: 2,378
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who had the better Career Resume...Liston or Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuRuPT View Post
Did you miss the ENTIRE premise of the other side.. which relied heavily on the fact that Johnson didn't beat any TRUE HW's and Liston himself was too big and modern for Johnson. I'm not sure how you could miss that part..but that is exactly where my analogy comes into play and the correlation is sound. Athletes are a product of their time.. Period.. If you're great in that time period when the techniques and training methods were all the same.. that carries just as much weight as people who were good in an era where techniques and training has improved. That, and to go further.. if we can give Owens credit for what he could've been with Modern training equipment and methods and diet.. then why couldn't and shouldn't we do the same with Johnson.. and fully expect him to be bigger.. stronger and more technical than he already was?
I didn't miss anything.
I was just adding some thoughts of mine to the thread.

I think Jack Johnson was plenty big enough anyway, for what it's worth.
I don't even buy into this "modern training methods and diet" stuff.
It's overrated. Yes, some HWs use drugs, and they lift weights more now, and are bigger on average. But I don't think a Johnson, a Dempsey, a Louis or an Ali would be at much of a disadvantage.
Legend X is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:18 AM   #120
Legend X
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: London
Posts: 2,378
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who had the better Career Resume...Liston or Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
It's based around my protestation that a 185 pound heavyweight beating a 156 pound opponent is not an achievement upon which to hang so much of your hat.

And if so, where are we going to place Young Peter Jackson, who turned the same trick two months later via KO?
Great fighter.
Legend X is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013