Old 08-03-2012, 12:11 AM   #31
homer
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Association vs League in Amateur boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluey View Post
we will agree to disagree homer,lol, dunno who produces the better pro's, the scoring systems of league and global are closer to the pro's ,global uses the ten point card, just watched the number one in cameron's division get beatin by the pom( luckily i thought) he's gunna have to be at his best
Well mate im tipping Cameron to get a medal. And well Just look at the pro boxers we have. The world class ones most are former aba.
homer is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2012, 02:36 AM   #32
bluey
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

good luck to young hammond , fingers crossed for him
bluey is offline  Top
Old 08-06-2012, 08:46 AM   #33
darkhorse
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwgcolman View Post
Palm island, north Queensland
..fair enough then mate..then you guys certainly know what's travelin's all about..
..but not being disrespectful but how many Association fighters have ever come up to Palm or anywhere in NQ?..that's my point.
..but from personal experience I know as fact that Ray Dennis and his boys were/are the backbone of Amateur boxing in NQ..just by turnin' up with half a dozen..or a dozen or more fighters guarantees matchin' a card of fights..
..and there's alot of champions around NQ over the years that can thank Ray's boys for gettting fights..when they had too many fights to fight most boys..Ray's novice's would always step up...
..cheers mate..
darkhorse is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2012, 12:57 AM   #34
Bwgcolman
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Yeah mate I know what your saying about the association coming up to N.Q. But in saying that the League doesn't have a great record of supporting us either.
Whenever we have held a tournament on Palm there is only one club in Townsville that has supported us. No other club would bother coming over after all the support we have given them.
The other clubs that came to our tournaments travelled from Rockhampton, Blackwater and Mt Isa, so the League in Townsville is just as bad as the association in that regard.
Also over the last 2 years we have taken up to 10 boxers to tournaments in N.Q and not been able to match any, unless we give away up to 12 kg in weight or 40-50 fights in experience, we found that many trainers weren't keen on matching their boys any more unless they could guarantee a win.
In the end we were traveling at least to Rockhampton to get fights.
Since crossing over to the association we get every boy evenly matched, we always get all our boxers fights and they have expressed a keen interest in coming up N.Q. To fight us.
There are some clubs, such as Hawks that do a good job up here, but in general the League is killing itself by not supporting the clubs that make the shows.
Bwgcolman is offline  Top
Old 08-09-2012, 12:25 AM   #35
darkhorse
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwgcolman View Post
Yeah mate I know what your saying about the association coming up to N.Q. But in saying that the League doesn't have a great record of supporting us either.
Whenever we have held a tournament on Palm there is only one club in Townsville that has supported us. No other club would bother coming over after all the support we have given them.
The other clubs that came to our tournaments travelled from Rockhampton, Blackwater and Mt Isa, so the League in Townsville is just as bad as the association in that regard.
Also over the last 2 years we have taken up to 10 boxers to tournaments in N.Q and not been able to match any, unless we give away up to 12 kg in weight or 40-50 fights in experience, we found that many trainers weren't keen on matching their boys any more unless they could guarantee a win.
In the end we were traveling at least to Rockhampton to get fights.
Since crossing over to the association we get every boy evenly matched, we always get all our boxers fights and they have expressed a keen interest in coming up N.Q. To fight us.
There are some clubs, such as Hawks that do a good job up here, but in general the League is killing itself by not supporting the clubs that make the shows.
..mate..I'm way out of the loop but i'm hearin' there's been a bit of a slide over the last ten years...but I know we can't knock people like Eric and Christine Norman for what they've done over the years(both deserve a medal I reckon)..and all the regulars around all the tournaments year in year out..
..but without gettin' into the politics I think the Association isn't doin' itself any favors by not developong abit more of a presence up north..as there's been some really good fighters coming from up there as we know...and it's easy for good fighter to end up too good for the local competition and end up not getting fights..instead of improving by fighting international fighters..

..and yeah mate..I understand what Palm goes through with difficulty matching but i think it just illastrated how good some of the Palm boys..and girls..have been over the years..and how much better half of them could've been had they got the fights..

..personally when I was trainin'..(out at Charters Towers 12 or 13 year ago)..I'd try and match my boys with Palm boys as often as possible..I thought win lose or draw they got confidence by hangin' with the Palm boys..
darkhorse is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum