Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2012, 03:28 PM   #1
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 6,870
vCash: 1000
Default Top 5 Worst Boxing Commentators of All Time

Boring played out topic, but **** it, I'm going with it.

Who are they?

Let me give my 5:


1. Emanuel Steward - Surely has to be the worst. Draws conclusions on the fight within 10 seconds of the bout starting and then changes his mind a minute or two later, only to let us know that he predicted this turn of events all along. To add to that, he shamelessly follows the lead on Jim Lampley's stupid comments instead of standing his ground and speaking with conviction on his own behalf and if you're following Jim, by definition you're goners.

2. George Foreman - A congenial presence, but says some of the dumbest shit ever heard in a commentary box

3. Ferdie Pacheco - Biased beyond belief, starts with 4 rounds in the bank for any house fighter before the fight even starts. And his pop medical diagnoses are largely bollox.

4. Howard Cossell - Ushered in the annoying attention whore commentator syndrome with his self important rambling and none too edifying remarks

5. Jim Lampley / Colonel Bob Sheridan - Good, colourful personalities, but seriously NFI on accurately calling the action. You might as well have fights they commentate on silent and have random BANG! KABOOM! etc. quotation bubbles pop up on the screen like in the comic books rather than listen to their misinformed enthusiasm.

Dishonourable mention to Dave Bontempo - a guy that all too regularly gets caught up in a pre-conceived idea and rolls with it regardless of whether the action taking place confirms it or not. HATE commentators like that....

Who are your top/worst 5?
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2012, 03:33 PM   #2
jdempsey85
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: EAST L.A
Posts: 1,056
vCash: 1032
Default Re: Top 5 Worst Boxing Commentators of All Time

Howard cossell gets on my ****ing nerves
jdempsey85 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:39 PM   #3
Senor Pepe'
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,704
vCash: 500
Default Re: Top 5 Worst Boxing Commentators of All Time

Tom Brookshier (CBS in the 1970's)

Jerry Quarry had to save his ass many times on the boxing telecast.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Sal Marchiano

Screaming 'Good Night Sweet Prince' everytime some poor bastard got 'blasted' and
knocked out.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jim Lampley

More concenred about making a 'big splash' for himself.
Senor Pepe' is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:39 PM   #4
bladerunner
El Intocable
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Casal Ventoso
Posts: 16,512
vCash: 31447
Default Re: Top 5 Worst Boxing Commentators of All Time

Pacheco is the worse man.

He really pisses me of.

One instance i remember was in the Chacon-Edwards rematch.

Chacon gets cut early on.

And he goes on and on about how the fight should be stopped.

And how Chacon cant go any more round.

Its like this the all fight.

He just couldnt shut his yap about the cuts.

Cuts that werent that bad to begin with.

Its one of the best fights ever and one of my favorites too.

But now i have to watch it with the sound off cause of Pacheco.
bladerunner is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:45 PM   #5
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 6,870
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Top 5 Worst Boxing Commentators of All Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner View Post
Pacheco is the worse man.

He really pisses me of.

One instance i remember was in the Chacon-Edwards rematch.

Chacon gets cut early on.

And he goes on and on about how the fight should be stopped.

And how Chacon cant go any more round.

Its like this the all fight.

He just couldnt shut his yap about the cuts.

Cuts that werent that bad to begin with.

Its one of the best fights ever and one of my favorites too.

But now i have to watch it with the sound off cause of Pacheco.
Yeah, he almost ruined an un-ruinable fight. Like there was nothing else to focus on during that fight...
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:45 PM   #6
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,514
vCash: 4710
Default Re: Top 5 Worst Boxing Commentators of All Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_scientist View Post
Boring played out topic, but **** it, I'm going with it.

Who are they?

Let me give my 5:


1. Emanuel Steward - Surely has to be the worst. Draws conclusions on the fight within 10 seconds of the bout starting and then changes his mind a minute or two later, only to let us know that he predicted this turn of events all along. To add to that, he shamelessly follows the lead on Jim Lampley's stupid comments instead of standing his ground and speaking with conviction on his own behalf and if you're following Jim, by definition you're goners.

2. George Foreman - A congenial presence, but says some of the dumbest shit ever heard in a commentary box

3. Ferdie Pacheco - Biased beyond belief, starts with 4 rounds in the bank for any house fighter before the fight even starts. And his pop medical diagnoses are largely bollox.

4. Howard Cossell - Ushered in the annoying attention whore commentator syndrome with his self important rambling and none too edifying remarks

5. Jim Lampley / Colonel Bob Sheridan - Good, colourful personalities, but seriously NFI on accurately calling the action. You might as well have fights they commentate on silent and have random BANG! KABOOM! etc. quotation bubbles pop up on the screen like in the comic books rather than listen to their misinformed enthusiasm.

Dishonourable mention to Dave Bontempo - a guy that all too regularly gets caught up in a pre-conceived idea and rolls with it regardless of whether the action taking place confirms it or not. HATE commentators like that....

Who are your top/worst 5?
d problem is , this list includes 6 names that r d main commentators that ever were in English , and almost d only 1s that were/mattered 4 more than just a single/couple of fights .
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:46 PM   #7
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,556
vCash: 500
Default Re: Top 5 Worst Boxing Commentators of All Time

Agree with all these ones.

Harry Carpenter was often crap whenever a British fighter was involved.

Never liked Gutteridge much either.he does have his immortal "jung-koo chang, which sounds like something from a takeaway" line though.

For secondary\colour men...Duke McKenzie and McGuigan are both shit.Minter could barely string a coherent sentence together.
lora is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:47 PM   #8
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,556
vCash: 500
Default Re: Top 5 Worst Boxing Commentators of All Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor Pepe' View Post
Tom Brookshier (CBS in the 1970's)

Jerry Quarry had to save his ass many times on the boxing telecast.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Sal Marchiano

Screaming 'Good Night Sweet Prince' everytime some poor bastard got 'blasted' and
knocked out.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jim Lampley

More concenred about making a 'big splash' for himself.



He was a legend.
lora is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:04 PM   #9
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 6,870
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Top 5 Worst Boxing Commentators of All Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenfrank View Post
d problem is , this list includes 6 names that r d main commentators that ever were in English , and almost d only 1s that were/mattered 4 more than just a single/couple of fights .
There's other shit ones too. To name but a few:

Ray Mancini - great at divising fight plans for failure
Alex Wallau - was utterly unrealistic with his expectations on fighters
Post-Ryan Gil Clancy (awful)
Marvin Hagler - just too deep a voice
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:09 PM   #10
Longhhorn71
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,594
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Top 5 Worst Boxing Commentators of All Time

What about any of those Fkhead actors they would drag in for the old Closed Circuit fights?

I remember Burt Lancaster doing a big-time CC fight back in the olden days.
Longhhorn71 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:12 PM   #11
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 8,697
vCash: 1166
Default Re: Top 5 Worst Boxing Commentators of All Time

No Teddy Atlas ? I donīt think Teddy is bad tbh, actually I like him...but is surprising that no one mentioned him yet....
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:13 PM   #12
Senor Pepe'
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,704
vCash: 500
Default Re: Top 5 Worst Boxing Commentators of All Time

Joe Louis as an analyst for the Liston vs. Clay I fight.

Joe, was clueless.
-------------------------------------------------------

Brent Musberger

In the dictionary, under the word 'bad' is a picture of Brent.
Senor Pepe' is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:15 PM   #13
MURK20
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bird City, Phoenix, Az
Posts: 1,057
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Top 5 Worst Boxing Commentators of All Time

Larry Merchant is the most unapologetically biased commentator ever. Big George can be a buffoon at times, but he always entertained. ES does have a lot of expertise that I to soak up. However most of your points about him are spot on.
MURK20 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:18 PM   #14
MrBumboclart
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 332
vCash: 500
Default Re: Top 5 Worst Boxing Commentators of All Time

Gerry Cooney was in the Shavers-Cobb fight, he kept saying how boring it was and sighing really loudly. Then him and Ken Norton (probably bitter over get KTFO by Cooney) had a little argument after Cooney started rooting for Shavers and Norton told him he had to be neutral lol

I also think Hagler was awful. He commentated a SRL fight after the loss and Ray hit a guy low and Marvin wouldn't stfu about it and how he should have been disqualified and had points taken off.
MrBumboclart is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:31 PM   #15
BillB
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 818
vCash: 500
Default Re: Top 5 Worst Boxing Commentators of All Time

I didn't care for Cosell.

I agree with Senor Pepe about Joe Louis.

I respected Joe but I could barely understand anything he said.


ABC brought Ali in to do color commentary, with Cosell, at the Foreman farce when Foreman fought five men the same afternoon. Ali acted like an idiot, screaming at Foreman and taunting him. It was a shame. Having Ali offer serious comment on what was going on would have been very interesting.

Last edited by BillB; 07-31-2012 at 04:44 PM.
BillB is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013