Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 07-16-2012, 03:17 AM   #1
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default B.J. Penn offers to pay for UFC 152 testing if VADA willing to hold results until aft

Thats what i'm talking about. BJ is throwing down the gauntlet.

Quote:
For much of his career, former UFC champion B.J. Penn (16-8-2 MMA, 12-7-2 UFC) has been an outspoken opponent of performance-enhancing drug use in the sport of mixed martial arts.

And so when the non-profit Voluntary Anti-Doping Association volunteered to sponsor pre-fight testing for Penn and his UFC 152 opponent, Rory MacDonald (13-1 MMA, 4-1 UFC), "The Prodigy" immediately agreed to take part.

Penn has since been forced to withdraw his support of the program due to VADA's insistence the results of the testing be released prior to the matchup. However, the Hawaiian scrapper doesn't want to nix the plan all together. Instead, he said he's willing to foot the bill for the procedures if the organization can wait to make the results public.

"VADA contacted me to talk about doing their testing," Penn said at a recent media session, which MMAjunkie.com ([Only registered and activated users can see links. ]) attended. "Right away, I was for it. But I was talking to them, and we were talking about the process.

"This isn't an amateur sport. What I expressed to VADA was that results need to be released after the fight, but VADA wants to do it before the fight, and I said, 'I'm not trying to put the UFC's fight in danger by doing that.' I said, 'What's the problem? Let's do the results after the fight.'"

The Las Vegas-based VADA, according to the independent organization's website, was "founded to offer and promote effective anti-doping programs in boxing and mixed martial arts." Former Nevada State Athletic Commission chief ringside physician Margaret Goodman serves as president.

According to VADA's bylaws, "Professional athletes will volunteer to be subject to unannounced testing at any time during the eight weeks prior to a scheduled fight. As in the Olympic program, an agreement to participate will require fighters to officially inform us of their daily whereabouts, so that they can be tested per the program. Athletes will agree that all results are immediately released to the appropriate adjudicating commission overseeing their upcoming contest."
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2012, 03:28 AM   #2
Lynchburg
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1449
Default Re: B.J. Penn offers to pay for UFC 152 testing if VADA willing to hold results until

This is what i'm taking about!!!!!!!!!

B.J once again shows why he is an all time great!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG5JieB1rGo[/ame]

Lynchburg
Lynchburg is offline  Top
Old 07-16-2012, 08:16 AM   #3
SouthpawSlayer
Im coming for you
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: B.J. Penn offers to pay for UFC 152 testing if VADA willing to hold results until

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

nice boils there rory, whered ya get them
SouthpawSlayer is offline  Top
Old 07-16-2012, 08:17 AM   #4
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I wonder what R-Mac & Brian Stann think of this idea...
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 07-16-2012, 08:25 AM   #5
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawSlayer View Post

Did you see the ones on Roger Gracies back too? Wasn't he at 205 before? And he goes around 6ft 4.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:51 PM   #6
HeGlassedMe
ufc is the new pet rock
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 109

He wants the results after the fight takes place
HeGlassedMe is offline  Top
Old 07-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #7
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeGlassedMe View Post
He wants the results after the fight takes place
Reasonable. I doubt he'd want to be held responsible by Zuffa for nuking one of their shows.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:01 PM   #8
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 847

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawSlayer View Post

Is it really that uncommon for a 22 year old to have bacne?
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Old 07-16-2012, 03:05 PM   #9
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Rory should **** his world up. I'll be shocked if BJ at this age and weight isn't rag dolled into a pool of blood.

Nevertheless, he is hardcore, would fight anyone, anywhere, anytime, anyweight, any condition and you simply couldn't imagine him doing any sort of PEDs.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 07-16-2012, 03:16 PM   #10
CrimsonBeast
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Floyd View Post
Is it really that uncommon for a 22 year old to have bacne?
with the diet most fighters have around fight time I'd say yea it is.
CrimsonBeast is offline  Top
Old 07-16-2012, 03:24 PM   #11
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 847

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonBeast View Post
with the diet most fighters have around fight time I'd say yea it is.
Poor diet is only one of many things that can cause acne. Fighters are exposed to a lot of bacteria via wrestling and BJJ practice, and that could certainly lead to acne, especially in a young guy. Plus, it could just be genetic. There are a lot of factors.
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Old 07-16-2012, 06:55 PM   #12
Kittikasem
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat View Post
he is hardcore, would fight anyone, anywhere, anytime, anyweight, any condition and you simply couldn't imagine him doing any sort of PEDs.
Some of the reasons why he is and will always be my favourite MMA fighter of all-time.
Kittikasem is offline  Top
Old 07-19-2012, 02:43 PM   #13
bald_head_slick
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I see this two ways and agree with Penn.

The "right" way? Sure, fail a test, failure is published, and fight is off. That works in a world where guys aren't eating off of the sport win or lose. This route you end up with tons of last minute poorly matched fights and ruined cards. The sport AND the fighters lose.

The realistic way? MMA has proven, juice or not, guys live on to fight again and be competitive. Let the fight happen, purses switched, and call it a NC. Better to get a NC and the winner's purse than to have the bills and mental sacrifices from camp all for nothing. As the word gets out? More guys will just not go there because they know it is a fruitless endeavor. The sport is cleaned up while not being harmed.

I really think Penn is on to something! I hope VADA and Dana listen.
bald_head_slick is offline  Top
Old 07-19-2012, 02:45 PM   #14
Will Cooling
Belt holder
ESB Addict

No way VADA will go for this. Just not going to happen.
Will Cooling is offline  Top
Old 07-19-2012, 04:29 PM   #15
Matty lll
Sweet Scientist
ESB Addict

BJ is the man, stuff like this is why I like the guy so much
Matty lll is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum