boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-22-2008, 03:22 PM   #1
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118
Default Power - Has there ever been a HW...

That never ran into a figter they couldn't knock out or at least bounce off the canvas...?

For example, people cite Lennox as being among the hardest hitting heavies of all time...

Yet he failed to knockout so many fighters it almost seems absurd at times, considering in total he had 44 fights.

Tucker, Mercer, McCall (Who ate his best shots and was doing the ****ing Ali shuffle in between them), Mavrovic (Who was supposedly damned near terminally ill by the time he fought Lennox, was outweighed by 30 pounds, and who was being hit so hard his head looked like it was going to come off his shoulders).

Then theres Holyfield (Twice) Tua, Vitali ate one of the hardest punches I think I've ever seen land from Lennox and was only stopped on a cut...

Just doesn't seem like he ever stopped an iron chinned fighter, and even "soft" chinned guys like Briggs ate a lot of power shots from Lennox.

Eh?
Russell is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2008, 03:40 PM   #2
shavers
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Power - Has there ever been a HW...

Ok you dont like Lennox, just write it then instead of trying to put the spin out like this.....

Oooh by the way Lennox WAS among the biggest punchers ever!
shavers is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2008, 05:23 PM   #3
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
That never ran into a figter they couldn't knock out or at least bounce off the canvas...?

For example, people cite Lennox as being among the hardest hitting heavies of all time...

Yet he failed to knockout so many fighters it almost seems absurd at times, considering in total he had 44 fights.

Tucker, Mercer, McCall (Who ate his best shots and was doing the ****ing Ali shuffle in between them), Mavrovic (Who was supposedly damned near terminally ill by the time he fought Lennox, was outweighed by 30 pounds, and who was being hit so hard his head looked like it was going to come off his shoulders).

Then theres Holyfield (Twice) Tua, Vitali ate one of the hardest punches I think I've ever seen land from Lennox and was only stopped on a cut...

Just doesn't seem like he ever stopped an iron chinned fighter, and even "soft" chinned guys like Briggs ate a lot of power shots from Lennox.

Eh?
Well, Botha and Ruddock both had decent chins and he knocked them both to another continent. Tyson's chin was really good and he was knocked out as well. Don't think too many fighters would want to get in the way of that right hand.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2008, 05:33 PM   #4
Sonny's jab

vCash:

No, I dont think there's ever been a fighter who knocked down or knocked out everyone.

These days you get a lot of fighters with "KO" credited to them that didn't even knock down the opponent.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:34 PM   #5
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

I think that Shavers could have potentialy droped or hurt prety much anybody you could put in front of him.
janitor is online now  Top
Old 01-22-2008, 05:34 PM   #6
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

I think that Shavers could have potentialy droped or hurt prety much anybody you could put in front of him.
janitor is online now  Top
Old 01-22-2008, 06:18 PM   #7
Jase2483
Everyday I'm Hustlin'
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor
Boo for the double post

But HOORAY for a great point.

Shavers hit like a mack truck going into a brick wall at 65mph
Jase2483 is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2008, 06:32 PM   #8
Doppleganger
Il Genio
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 800

Quote:

Eh?
Well, how many people have genuinely knocked out Tucker, Mercer, McCall, Mavrovic, Tua, V. Kiltschko or Holyfield?

Here's a clue. You'll prolly only need the fingers of one hand to count them.
Doppleganger is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2008, 06:59 PM   #9
Boilermaker
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 685

I am pretty certain that Prime John L Sullivan fits this description, or at least went close right up until his last fight with Jim Corbett, there wouldnt have been too many that survived the knockdown. Definitely the most underated fighter on the internet and arguably the best pure puncher the division has ever seen.

Jack Dempsey is another who would probably come close to doing this.
Boilermaker is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2008, 07:23 PM   #10
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokaj
Well, Botha and Ruddock both had decent chins and he knocked them both to another continent. Tyson's chin was really good and he was knocked out as well. Don't think too many fighters would want to get in the way of that right hand.
Tyson at that point in his career was put away by multiple journeymen.
Russell is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2008, 12:05 AM   #11
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny's jab
No, I dont think there's ever been a fighter who knocked down or knocked out everyone.

These days you get a lot of fighters with "KO" credited to them that didn't even knock down the opponent.
James Jeffries scored a knock down or knock out in all his fights, except for his 5 year come back fight vs Jack Johnson.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2008, 12:10 AM   #12
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Guess I'm asking for fighters who when they connected cleanly rocked their man or KO'ed him. Didn't absolutely have to each and every time, but when they connected...

Shaver's failed to KO Ali, for instance, but that's really not the all encompassing question...

He DID rock him, badly.

He dropped Holmes.

And so on.
Russell is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2008, 12:20 AM   #13
OLD FOGEY
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

Eh?
I guess your bottom line is has there ever been a puncher who never ran into an opponent who could weather his best attack. I think the answer is no.

There never was a horse which couldn't be rode,
There never was a rider who couldn't be throwed,
There never was a gun who never met anyone as fast,
There never was a puncher who never met the man who could last.
OLD FOGEY is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2008, 06:21 AM   #14
DamonD
Champion
East Side Guru

No-one.

And what's this about Mavrovic being ill for the Lewis fight?
That didn't happen until about a year later.

Mavrovic already had the rep for having a rock-solid chin, even back to his amateur days.
Felix Savon of all people even gave him big kudos for that after he outpointed the guy.

Epps and Billups are about the only guys I would've expected Lewis to get out of there. Billups was an admittedly bad day at the office, and Epps only avoided that by getting himself DQd. Everyone else had a quality chin and/or survival instincts (such as Ocasio).
DamonD is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2008, 07:27 PM   #15
Grebfan9
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Guess I'm asking for fighters who when they connected cleanly rocked their man or KO'ed him. Didn't absolutely have to each and every time, but when they connected...

Shaver's failed to KO Ali, for instance, but that's really not the all encompassing question...

He DID rock him, badly.

He dropped Holmes.

And so on.

Hi Russell,

One fighter that stood up to Shaver's power was Ron Stander.

Shavers smashed Stander with some heavy punches, but Stander
survived and went on to KO Shavers in the 5th round.

Grebfan9
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Grebfan9 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum