boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-22-2008, 03:25 PM   #1
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118
Default So, tell me about Tony Tucker...

Seems to be on of the less discussed 80's guys, for some reason.

Seen parts of his fight against Douglas, and it was pretty impressive for Tony. Douglas looked amazing and trim at 225, and Tucker still won by KO.

He was 49-1 as late as 93' against Lennox as well, which is a pretty solid record as far as I'm concerned.

Underrated power (48 KO's in 58 fights) solid boxing fundamentals, massive size, went the distance with a prime Tyson...

Anyone have any thoughts on him?
Russell is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2008, 03:29 PM   #2
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: So, tell me about Tony Tucker...

Tony Tucker was a Yank Joe Bugner, which basically meant: Zzzzzzzz ...
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2008, 03:31 PM   #3
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118

That bad?
Russell is online now  Top
Old 01-22-2008, 03:35 PM   #4
SteveO
MSW
ESB Addict

vCash: 1040

Fought for a little too long. Decent resume of fights.

Also, finished on his feet against Tyson.
SteveO is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2008, 04:10 PM   #5
Sonny's jab

vCash:

Not a particularly good fighter.

He kept getting ranked as the mandatory challenger by the sanctioning bodies for no reason, except of course signing with Don King.

Probably never developed properly as a fighter due to being matched with bums for most of his first 35 fights, and then he fought Douglas for the "vacant IBF title", tagged and hurt Douglas once in the 10th round with a good punch and Douglas just sort of quit fighting back. After that Tucker lost to Tyson, he did okay there, and then when he came back he went back to fighting bums mainly.

Looked like an OLD fighter against Lennox Lewis years. later.

Last edited by SmokinJoe; 01-06-2007 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:35 PM   #6
Doppleganger
Il Genio
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 800

Tucker was a good fighter, but he never really had the ambition in his biggest fights. He also had some issues with cocaine abuse IIRC. Liked the good life a little too much.
Doppleganger is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2008, 11:26 AM   #7
ThinBlack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Talented heavy who was at one point the world's top ranked light heavy as an amateur.Turned pro around 200 pounds, very fast hands, but drugs and a knee injury ruined him, plus I think his father screwed him over at some point.
ThinBlack is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2008, 11:41 AM   #8
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1500

A very talented fighter who was probably the last of the Lost Generation.

He showed what might of been against Tyson that August night. He gave prime Tyson a fight and may of got even closer but the broken hand.

Sadly like all the lost generation it was down hill from there. King's spin kept him a world rating for nearly 10 years, but he was a fraction of the fighter he could of been, actually, SHOULD of been.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2008, 01:59 PM   #9
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze
A very talented fighter who was probably the last of the Lost Generation.

He showed what might of been against Tyson that August night. He gave prime Tyson a fight and may of got even closer but the broken hand.

Sadly like all the lost generation it was down hill from there. King's spin kept him a world rating for nearly 10 years, but he was a fraction of the fighter he could of been, actually, SHOULD of been.

Tucker was a very good heavyweight. He had size, skills, good power, and good speed. His draw back was he was not very aggressive though. I think Steward was his trainer at one point. Steward was not an experienced trainer with “ super heavyweights “ back then, but if he was, perhaps Tucker could have won a fight or two he lost.

Tucker’s big moment went south when George Foreman balked and forfeited his title that he won from Moorer. For some reason, Foreman wanted no part of Tucker. IMO, Tucker would have won the decision.

Tucker beat some quality people. Among them were Oliver McCall, Buster Dougals, Jimmy Young, and Orlin Norris. Tucker went he distance and did well vs a prime Tyson, and gave a young Lennox Lewis some rough moments.

In the 1980's I tend to view Tucker as the 4th or 5th best heavyweight, behind Holmes, Tyson, and Witherspoon. I suppose Pinky Thomas and Tucker were about even, but I perfer Tucker based on how he did vs Tyson and Lewis.

If Tucker was in his prime today, he’d be one of the 4 champions. Maybe not the man, but one of them.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2008, 02:40 PM   #10
ThinBlack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Tucker really didn't do anything until probably 1986, when he beat James Broad.Not counting the win over Jimmy Young in 1984, when Young was shot.
ThinBlack is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2008, 02:46 PM   #11
DamonD
Champion
East Side Guru

Tucker's biggest problems were his lack of head movement, the fact he seemed to go into his shell sometimes during rough moments, and worst of all the out-of-the-ring problems with his heavy sustance abuse and party lifestyle in the 80s and the huge rift with his father.

On the plus size - decent power and movement, good range of punches with his short right being the standout, very solid chin and durability and some good ring smarts.

If not a dominant champ then a good solid contender in any era, the kind of guy you always need.

Like many 80s heavyweights, if you'd taken away the drug problems and given him a real focus, he could've excelled.
DamonD is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 12:51 PM   #12
Titan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

He was also the unofficial seventh member of Ready For The World.
Titan1 is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 03:59 PM   #13
Shareef
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Tucker was a good fighter. A big heavyweight i think he was like 6"5, was a good boxer good speed and movement. His chin was top notch as he went the distance with a prime Tyson and 5 yrs later went the distance against Lennox Lewis while himself being washed up. The 80's heavyweights generally get dissed lots but i think they were better than the heavyweights we have around today which are pathetic except i give Wlad some props he's pretty good.
Shareef is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 07:21 PM   #14
Rocket
Journeyman

the norris and mccall wins for tucker were gifts from don king.
Rocket is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum