Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-28-2012, 07:54 PM   #1
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Lewis v Shavers

No doubt this will split opinions. Lewis was knocked out by both McCall and Rahman with single punches. Although, Lewis did get to his feet against McCall. So, it could be argued it was a premature stoppage. His package of strength, size, speed, power and boxing ability ranks up there with the best in the heavyweight history.

Shavers goes down as one of the most lethal punchers in heavyweight history. He wasn't a great boxer but was strong, extremely powerful and dangerous. Especially, over the first 6 rounds. He almost won the title, when he knocked down Larry Holmes in their 1979 rematch.
Robbi is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2012, 09:29 PM   #2
DaveK
Vicious & Malicious
ESB Addict

Default Re: Lewis v Shavers

Lewis doesn't move as well as Holmes did, but he won't have to. Lewis blasts him coming in.

Lewis KO3 Shavers
DaveK is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2012, 10:00 PM   #3
joebeadg
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

actually, he did beat ali for the title, they just didn't give it to him. I'd like to go with ernie on this one, but lewis did have a good punch, either gut could be ko d by the other, but I'll go with Shavers, ko by 5
joebeadg is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2012, 10:09 PM   #4
FelixTrinidad
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Lennox Lewis had 10 different boxing styles.

For Shavers, he would have treated him like David Tua.

Lewis UD 12-0

Shavers will be hitting air.
FelixTrinidad is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2012, 10:14 PM   #5
Vince Voltage
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Joebeadg, I'm glad to hear you say that Earnie beat Ali, because I've been saying it for thirty years. He won the title, just got robbed.

But as much as I love Earnie, I don't think he'd have a prayer against Lewis. He might beat Lennox once in ten tries, with a luck shot, but otherwise would have virtually no chance, getting stopped in a couple rounds.
Vince Voltage is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2012, 12:32 AM   #6
KOTF
Bingooo
East Side Guru

vCash: 66874

Lewis KO's Shavers before Earnie can get smokin
KOTF is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2012, 12:49 AM   #7
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

vCash: 816

See Lewis/Ruddock
turbotime is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2012, 04:51 AM   #8
Absolutely!
Fabulous, darling!
ESB Addict

This wouldn't be competitive.

The only times Lewis lost by stoppage were when he totally underestimated his opponent and came in undertrained. It wasn't because they were the hardest, or most dangerous punchers he faced.

Against Shavers he'd just keep him at arms length for a round or two, get his timing down, and blast Earnie's chrome dome into orbit somewhere in the third, if not earlier.
Absolutely! is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2012, 05:09 AM   #9
Boxed Ears
ESB #1 Name Changer!
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

Good Lord. Glory-whore seventies contenders KO1 urrreeebuddee elsez era. Cuz dey fot d bessed. Tua was actually a superior total package to Shavers and-...Sweet ****, this thread's turned me into Frankenfrank, it's so wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
No doubt this will split opinions. Lewis was knocked out by both McCall and Rahman with single punches. Although, Lewis did get to his feet against McCall. So, it could be argued it was a premature stoppage. His package of strength, size, speed, power and boxing ability ranks up there with the best in the heavyweight history.

Shavers goes down as one of the most lethal punchers in heavyweight history. He wasn't a great boxer but was strong, extremely powerful and dangerous. Especially, over the first 6 rounds. He almost won the title, when he knocked down Larry Holmes in their 1979 rematch.
He was also short, under-tall, and not very long, mate.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2012, 07:18 AM   #10
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotime View Post
See Lewis/Ruddock
See Lewis-Golota.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2012, 07:57 AM   #11
Azzer85
ATG
East Side Guru

Lewis wouldnt come in underestimating a guy like Shavers.

Guys like Mcall and Rahman are only mentioned because they kod Lewis, before that, they werent really anybody.

Lewis either blasts Ernie out quickly like he did Ruddock, or avoids him like the plague to a comfortable decision like Tua.

Noway is LL going to stand there and smile at Earnie like he did against Rahman
Azzer85 is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2012, 08:46 AM   #12
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

Lewis is 21-1 against ranked opposition. Shavers is what, 1-4? Good old Ernie gets blasted.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2012, 03:30 PM   #13
round15
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPontius View Post
Lewis is 21-1 against ranked opposition. Shavers is what, 1-4? Good old Ernie gets blasted.
Lewis may win it in KO fashion but I don't think he blasts Shavers out with the ease that you say. I can't see Shavers waiting around looking for a shot like Ruddock did, and neither does Lewis try to go for the kill early.

Really, it depends on which Lewis you put in against Shavers. The young Lewis who on any given night could KO anyone with that right hand, but his defence wasn't what it had yet to become. Nor was his heart. What about the seasoned Lewis who survived Mercer, had two tough fights with Holyfield, got revenge against McCall, blasted out Golota and Grant, and survived Briggs?

Shavers could hit, had power and Lewis would be mindful of that. I think he'd be more inclined to beat on Earnie for as long as it took while staying out of danger. He's not stopping Earnie like Quarry did.

Besides, you think Lewis could beat the Holmes that Shavers fought?

I wouldn't bet on Quarry or Lyle being easy fights for Lennox either. Certainly more potential to be very hard fought, tough wins. One against a guy that Foreman wanted no part of in his first title reign. The other against a guy that traded mutliple knockdowns against George in a losing battle.

Shavers has a punchers chance against Lewis but I could see this fight going the way of his losses against Lyle and Holmes. Earnie wins a round or two but Lewis mostly dominates the fight and comes off the floor once or twice to stop Earnie around the 8th or 9th.
round15 is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2012, 03:55 PM   #14
dyna
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1551

The 2 times Lewis lost was because he underestimated them/undertrained, not because he didn't have the ability to defeat them.

Shavers is only 1.83m, Lewis wouldn't have trouble.
dyna is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2012, 10:57 PM   #15
Boxed Ears
ESB #1 Name Changer!
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPontius View Post
But-going 1-4 in the seventies is like going 3,117,946-0-1 in any other era. If he were officially 3,117,946-0-1 against ranked opposition to Lewis' 21-1, wouldn't that make you inclined to pick ATG Earnie Shavers, who would be invincible to a nineties fighter by any statistical likelihood?
Boxed Ears is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum