Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2012, 06:32 AM   #16
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 7,550
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Holmes v Spinks II video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterion View Post
First time I see this fight.

I scored it 8-7 for Holmes. Could be 9-6.

However, Spinks was in better condition at the end of the fight. The next two years, he would have two easy tuneups before being destroyed by Tyson.
Robbi is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2012, 03:18 PM   #17
choklab
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: bad to the bone and sexy
Posts: 5,458
vCash: 500
Default Re: Holmes v Spinks II video.

Holmes won the rematch but there was no future in Holmes being the champ again. He was talking retirement since the Bey fight. That was the point I think they decided to rob him if he ever went close again after the Williams fight. When an old champ talks of retirement he should worry if he goes the distance. Old champs losing saves doing the whole "vacant title thing" once the undefeated champ retires. The belt loses credibility. The officials keep the chain unbroken and the value of the belt by going for the younger guy. Holmes winning the rematch made no diffrence, they had made up their mind.
choklab is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:32 PM   #18
tommygun711
The Future
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 7,340
vCash: 102
Default Re: Holmes v Spinks II video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
Nah....Spinks the first, clearly. Holmes the 2nd, clearly.
nope. i scored both fights for spinks, the second being closer. when Holmes hurt him badly ( i forget which round) he should have jumped on him. that was his chance to impose his will and he missed it.
tommygun711 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:31 AM   #19
AnthonyJ74
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,531
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Holmes v Spinks II video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choklab View Post
Holmes won the rematch but there was no future in Holmes being the champ again. He was talking retirement since the Bey fight. That was the point I think they decided to rob him if he ever went close again after the Williams fight. When an old champ talks of retirement he should worry if he goes the distance. Old champs losing saves doing the whole "vacant title thing" once the undefeated champ retires. The belt loses credibility. The officials keep the chain unbroken and the value of the belt by going for the younger guy. Holmes winning the rematch made no diffrence, they had made up their mind.
Although the second fight was closer, I still think Spinks outhustled and outworked Holmes to earn a close decision. Holmes swept the first 4 or 5 rounds, but after that, Spinks got into his groove and started pot-shotting and outworking Holmes.
AnthonyJ74 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:15 AM   #20
zadfrak
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,323
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Holmes v Spinks II video.

I thought Spinks shaded it. Larry had his chance when he hurt him, but Spinks was not the easiest guy to get out of there and Larry's right hand was no longer that real straight shot but more of a looping one. That straight right hand w/ prime reflexes would have helped a ton and got the job done. And Larry wasn't facing a face first/easy to counter guy in there either.

No matter though. Anyone following the sport was watching the rise of Tyson and it sure looked like there was a new sheriff in town the old guys were going to have to deal with. And it was a youthful gunslinger of the highest order with a big advantage in reflexes.

That said, the fight reminded me of the Bowe--Holyfield 3 fight. Yep a decent fight and either guy could have won and it was between guys with similar capabilities. But there was another fighter lurking about that was going to be a whole lot tougher match.
zadfrak is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:26 AM   #21
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 7,550
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Holmes v Spinks II video.

I'm quite shocked how anyone could score at least 8 rounds to Spinks in this fight....Honest.

Holmes won the first 5 as clean as a whistle......And he only needed three of the last 10 to win the fight. Which he did. I'll need to score it again to get my exact scorecard.
Robbi is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:37 AM   #22
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London,England
Posts: 9,207
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Holmes v Spinks II video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommygun711 View Post
nope. i scored both fights for spinks, the second being closer. when Holmes hurt him badly ( i forget which round) he should have jumped on him. that was his chance to impose his will and he missed it.

The ageing Holmes gassed out towards the end. I still had Larry winning but the judges were probably influenced by the way Spinks closed the show.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:30 AM   #23
Bonecrusher
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Cape Girardeau, MO
Posts: 983
vCash: 136
Default Re: Holmes v Spinks II video.

When I originally watched it back in the day it felt like Holmes won comfortably but I re scored it in the mid 90's and found that I had it damn close.. Been years since I have seen it, maybe I'll dig out both fights and fire up the old VCR...
Bonecrusher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:21 PM   #24
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 7,550
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Holmes v Spinks II video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonecrusher View Post
When I originally watched it back in the day it felt like Holmes won comfortably but I re scored it in the mid 90's and found that I had it damn close.. Been years since I have seen it, maybe I'll dig out both fights and fire up the old VCR...
Why do that mate? Holmes-Spinks I and II are on the first page of this thread.....Each in full in one segment. Good quality too.
Robbi is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:33 PM   #25
Bonecrusher
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Cape Girardeau, MO
Posts: 983
vCash: 136
Default Re: Holmes v Spinks II video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
Why do that mate? Holmes-Spinks I and II are on the first page of this thread.....Each in full in one segment. Good quality too.
I agree brother, I need to become more accustomed to just watching them via you tube.

A buddy of mine from back in the day makes a habit out of sending me you tube links of fight from back in our day.. Its usually like link and then him saying go to 3:40 lol. I never know what they might be until they load.. You have to love the power of the internet.. I can remember as a young fan way back in the 80's always having to get boxing mags to actually get results of lesser non main stream fights... Back in those days there were a ton a mags.. Boxing Illustrated, The Ring, KO, World Boxing, Boxing Monthly, Boxing Scene the good old days... The only one I ever really see anymore is the Ring..
Bonecrusher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:32 PM   #26
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 7,550
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Holmes v Spinks II video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonecrusher View Post
I agree brother, I need to become more accustomed to just watching them via you tube.

A buddy of mine from back in the day makes a habit out of sending me you tube links of fight from back in our day.. Its usually like link and then him saying go to 3:40 lol. I never know what they might be until they load.. You have to love the power of the internet.. I can remember as a young fan way back in the 80's always having to get boxing mags to actually get results of lesser non main stream fights... Back in those days there were a ton a mags.. Boxing Illustrated, The Ring, KO, World Boxing, Boxing Monthly, Boxing Scene the good old days... The only one I ever really see anymore is the Ring..
I just stick to Boxing Monthly these days. I do ocassionally get the Ring.
Robbi is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:46 AM   #27
Manassa
-
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: ESB since '05
Posts: 3,883
vCash: 75
Default Re: Holmes v Spinks II video.

Robbi's doing me a favour because he asked me to watch this when normally I wouldn't have gotten round to it, but the Holmes-Spinks rematch is one of the more prominent fights on my list of 'big ones I've yet to watch properly' (along with the Lewis-Holyfield fights).

I will watch the rest but after round one, Holmes is all over it. Asserting his extra size (and personality I feel, extremely vengeful) and dominant jab. It's a simple game he's played in the first three minutes, but sets the tone perfectly for how he'd wish the fight to go. Spinks is covering up out of intimidation and confusion, which you can't blame him for. If you've had any boxing experience you'll know that it can be a right job trying to fight someone who's bigger and just wants to keep loading up on the right hand, but they're setting it up with jabs. You feel like the second you try anything, you're getting decked.
Manassa is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:18 AM   #28
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 7,550
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Holmes v Spinks II video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manassa View Post
Robbi's doing me a favour because he asked me to watch this when normally I wouldn't have gotten round to it, but the Holmes-Spinks rematch is one of the more prominent fights on my list of 'big ones I've yet to watch properly' (along with the Lewis-Holyfield fights).

I will watch the rest but after round one, Holmes is all over it. Asserting his extra size (and personality I feel, extremely vengeful) and dominant jab. It's a simple game he's played in the first three minutes, but sets the tone perfectly for how he'd wish the fight to go. Spinks is covering up out of intimidation and confusion, which you can't blame him for. If you've had any boxing experience you'll know that it can be a right job trying to fight someone who's bigger and just wants to keep loading up on the right hand, but they're setting it up with jabs. You feel like the second you try anything, you're getting decked.
Holmes is vastly improved from the first fight. I was totally shocked at the lack of right hands throughout the first fight. He was warned before the first fight that he had a pinched nerve in his neck. Something to do with a disc as well. He was also warned during the analysis that he could be paralysed, if he went ahead with the fight. A second opinion on the matter wasn't as alarming. But you can see that he was hesitant to throw the right hand and was only marching forward behind the jab. Spinks showed better variety, as he threw combinations and used the full ring. His defense was better too.

I really liked Holmes' attitude and authority during the rematch. He gets off well with the jab and throws more right hands during the first 3 rounds than he did during the full 15 rounds of the first fight. His speed, reflexes and accuracy is also sharpened up, compared to the first encounter.
Robbi is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:12 AM   #29
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 37,059
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Holmes v Spinks II video.

I have it close for Holmes. I could see a Spinks card - anytime it's only around, I don't think robbery is the right word. But yeah, i do have Holmes winning as most seem to.

HOLMES: 1,2,3,4,5,7,11,14
SPINKS: 6,8,9,10,12,13,15

So 8-7. I would have given the 14th to Spinks but for that punch so I have Holmes winning it by literally one blow. On the other hand I do think 6 can go either way. Close fight. The bullrush Holmes put on Spinks was mad, he shat himself a bit I think.
McGrain is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013