Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2012, 08:47 AM   #1
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,638
vCash: 347
Default Drastic decrease in performance

Long time no post everyone, well I'm posting here because I've been really going down hill with physical performance. Over the last few months I've been PT testing (physical training) and on my mile and a half run I started with 9:23 without much running. After coming into tech school my run time has been increasing almost a minute every month, I'm at a 11:41 mile and a half now. I still box and actually train harder than I did back home..so laziness definitely isn't a factor.

I feel like utter shit while working out, having absolutely no energy. The only thing I could think of is stress..having an overmanned career field I have been very close to being kicked out numerous times and plus personal problems back home...I'm hoping it's nothing serious. All answers will be appreciated..cheers
paloalto00 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2012, 09:06 AM   #2
Nipple
I hate my username
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,671
vCash: 500
Default Re: Drastic decrease in performance

Probably not resting enough or training too much. What do you do for recovery?

I'd take a week off of training mate and see how you feel.

Best of luck mate!
Nipple is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:11 AM   #3
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,638
vCash: 347
Default Re: Drastic decrease in performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nipple View Post
Probably not resting enough or training too much. What do you do for recovery?

I'd take a week off of training mate and see how you feel.

Best of luck mate!
Definitely not overtraining, but rest could be one.

Off time I literally just lay about in my dorm room
paloalto00 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:24 AM   #4
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,162
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Drastic decrease in performance

A. Not enough rest or B. not eating enough. Most likely option B.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:32 AM   #5
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,738
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Drastic decrease in performance

Stress Kills.
scrap is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:53 PM   #6
TVLPC
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 201
vCash: 500
Default Re: Drastic decrease in performance

To expand on Scrap. Sleep and food decline or surplus are more the symptom, not the cause. In hearing what you are saying, as long as everything checks outs medically, I would say it is undoubtedly stress.

Yours is not performance stress(which is natural and good), but chronic stress, or distress. This can affect the immune system, alter testosterone and growth hormone levels, and adrenaline. The stress hormones that once worked to protect may be overproducing, which can then affect metabolism and how cells grow and repair.

I work as a Licensed Professional Counselor and can say that when the people I work with are chronically placed under continuous levels of stess, they perform poorly at work, in marriages, as parents, develop anxiety, anger, depression, and so forth.

My advice is lighten your boxing load a bit and get the other stuff in order. The fact that you are asking the question is your answer. Pushing harder is not the answer, too much is,... too much. Good luck Paolo!
TVLPC is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:44 PM   #7
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,638
vCash: 347
Default Re: Drastic decrease in performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVLPC View Post
To expand on Scrap. Sleep and food decline or surplus are more the symptom, not the cause. In hearing what you are saying, as long as everything checks outs medically, I would say it is undoubtedly stress.

Yours is not performance stress(which is natural and good), but chronic stress, or distress. This can affect the immune system, alter testosterone and growth hormone levels, and adrenaline. The stress hormones that once worked to protect may be overproducing, which can then affect metabolism and how cells grow and repair.

I work as a Licensed Professional Counselor and can say that when the people I work with are chronically placed under continuous levels of stess, they perform poorly at work, in marriages, as parents, develop anxiety, anger, depression, and so forth.

My advice is lighten your boxing load a bit and get the other stuff in order. The fact that you are asking the question is your answer. Pushing harder is not the answer, too much is,... too much. Good luck Paolo!
Thanks for that mate, yeah boxing definitely tends to pack on more stress rather than relieve it. I graduate in 2 weeks so hopefully I can finally relax
paloalto00 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:29 PM   #8
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,187
vCash: 500
Default Re: Drastic decrease in performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by paloalto00 View Post
Definitely not overtraining, but rest could be one.

Off time I literally just lay about in my dorm room
It definitely IS overtraining. When you have stress in your life it makes it a lot easier to overtrain. Rest. I don't understand why you say it might be not enough rest but you also say it's definitely not overtraining?
dealt_with is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:47 PM   #9
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,638
vCash: 347
Default Re: Drastic decrease in performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
It definitely IS overtraining. When you have stress in your life it makes it a lot easier to overtrain. Rest. I don't understand why you say it might be not enough rest but you also say it's definitely not overtraining?
Because I don't find my workouts to be that extreme, I feel more mentally tired than anything during the day. Boxing feels more like a second job rather than something I enjoy right now
paloalto00 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:18 AM   #10
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,187
vCash: 500
Default Re: Drastic decrease in performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by paloalto00 View Post
Because I don't find my workouts to be that extreme, I feel more mentally tired than anything during the day. Boxing feels more like a second job rather than something I enjoy right now
Mental tiredness, irritable mood etc. are common signs of overtraining. You could be doing easy workouts but the stress in your life is keeping your body and mind from recovering. Stress is stress regardless whether it's from exercise or personal problems, excitement or anxiety. Your body recognises it as the same and you need recovery from it.
Professional sports teams always give questionnaires to their players with questions asking about their mood and motivation. There is no level or intensity that is going to 'overtrain' everyone, there's a different level for each person and it varies for each person at different times.
Stop training because it's something that gets worse before it gets better. Eat plenty of carbs and try to relax. Athletes overtraining is very real and very different to the term 'overtraining' that gets thrown around in bodybuilding circles.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:42 AM   #11
NVSemin
Sugar Boxing
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 251
vCash: 500
Default Re: Drastic decrease in performance

overtraining / lack of nutrition most likely
What may helps is to modify training routine, maybe you got simply bored...
NVSemin is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:44 AM   #12
death
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 369
vCash: 1687
Default Re: Drastic decrease in performance

try some meditation. takes some deep breaths, focus on stillness for a while. get plenty of sleep, and make sure your diets on point. just a few ideas that's pretty much been covered already. also maybe change up your routine.
death is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #13
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,638
vCash: 347
Default Re: Drastic decrease in performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
Mental tiredness, irritable mood etc. are common signs of overtraining. You could be doing easy workouts but the stress in your life is keeping your body and mind from recovering. Stress is stress regardless whether it's from exercise or personal problems, excitement or anxiety. Your body recognises it as the same and you need recovery from it.
Professional sports teams always give questionnaires to their players with questions asking about their mood and motivation. There is no level or intensity that is going to 'overtrain' everyone, there's a different level for each person and it varies for each person at different times.
Stop training because it's something that gets worse before it gets better. Eat plenty of carbs and try to relax. Athletes overtraining is very real and very different to the term 'overtraining' that gets thrown around in bodybuilding circles.
I definitely didn't know that, I only have 2 weeks left at this place..maybe just chillin out til I get home will help
paloalto00 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:15 AM   #14
markiepoop
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 168
vCash: 650
Default Re: Drastic decrease in performance

got the same problem as you, i think it's because of your mood/mental state.

I feel that how a training session goes is really dependant on your mental state. For example, in days where i feel very happy, light, peaceful, i tend to train really well and smooth. Everything seems to go right and my body is able to work at a high pace for the entire session.

However, days where my mood is bad, when i feel like shit or a little depressed, the training sessions start to be plagued with fatigue and the performance levels drastically decreases.

In your case the stress coming from school could be your cause.

Hopefully after the 2 weeks left your performance will go back to its previous level! In future however, you may face similar situations so you got to find a solid solution to it.

i heard mediating helps and just started trying a day ago lol
markiepoop is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:59 PM   #15
slickback
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 303
vCash: 75
Default Re: Drastic decrease in performance

you need to relax eat well and watch lots of tv, you were prolly peaking and now its the recession i.e when body cant stay and perform at its optimum level. Body is like a machine, it functions and needs its rest, and food. Take a week off and go back to it slowly kinda like starting camp.



my two cents dont kill yourself when you dont have fights lined up, work on things like footwork and different combos, take it easy ont he physical training and when you do have a fight then step up the physical training, to peak at the right time for the fight
slickback is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013