Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 08-03-2012, 12:47 AM   #31
Koa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: Do you think Judo is somewhat a misused martial art in terms of MMA ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Cooling View Post
Greco has better throws, BJJ better submissions.
I think even a decent judoka should be extremely, extremely difficult for anyone to take down.

The sort of balance, leverage and timing you learn in Judo allows for someone who isn't very athletic to become extremely solid in a clinch situation.

But in order to be very good at throws, you need athleticism as well as timing.

Check this out, BJJ is great for anyone, strength and athleticism are not necessary to be great at bjj so long as you are flexible and smart.

In judo, if you are going to be any good, you must be athletic, you must have good timing, and you must be smart.

Being a high level judoka has more requirements. With Greco roman you can nullify a lot with power and strength, you cant really do that with Judo.

What allowed Parisyan to be effective with his throws was his combination of all 3 (athleticism, timing and intelligence) Not all fighters have all three of these in abundance.
Koa is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2012, 07:57 AM   #32
The Spider

vCash:
Default Re: Do you think Judo is somewhat a misused martial art in terms of MMA ??

Watched some of the Olympics judo and it was just plain uninteresting. Not a great spectator sport IMO.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:16 AM   #33
rusty nails
Tszyu for PM!!
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

in my experience the judo guys ive gone up against have been some of the most athletic and strong people ive faced. i dont know if theres a better sport for developing your footwork and balance. theyre freakishly quick on their feet
rusty nails is offline  Top
Old 08-03-2012, 09:30 AM   #34
Primate
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJJFan View Post
BJJ was learned from a Japanese in Brazil.
Anyone that has ever trained knows the story of Maeda teaching the Gracie boys jiu jitsu and then the brothers adapted the techniques and turned it into BJJ, which is not the same as: "BJJ was learned in Japan by the Gracies" (also keep in mind, that comment was made by the same guy that thinks Anderson Silva fights at 215lbs.)
Primate is offline  Top
Old 08-03-2012, 09:53 AM   #35
Big Red
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1036

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primate View Post

Where do you get this shit?
I trained in martial arts, and I know a little bit of the history of them. Although I don't study a great deal about the history of martial arts. BJJ was learned from Judo. And without Judo I don't know if there would even be BJJ.

Judo used to have these leg locks and neck cranks when the Gracies learned Judo, but they were causing to many knee problems and neck problems so they were taken out of Judo.

BJJ may have tweeked some things, but I have done the same with Judo to suit my style like anyone does in any sport.

All these martial arts are evolving. And Judo has evolved to be effective in mma in the form of Bjj and Sambo. I think one day you are going to see more and more Judokas working on throws without the gi. And some of these Judo hold downs also have a place in mma.
Big Red is offline  Top
Old 08-03-2012, 11:35 AM   #36
Wilhelm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geppy View Post
How many judo throws have you ever seen used in the UFC? You could count them on one hand.

90 % of the stuff they teach you in Judo, you can't use effectively against a real opponent or in a fight. Yeah, maybe some bum on the street with no fighting experiance you could do a hip toss ( O Goshi) on. You learn armbars really well, thats is about it.

There are so many Judo schools in Europe and Asia, it is very popular overseas, unlike the United States. They don't produce any fighters though.
That's bullshit WHEN THERE IS SOMETHING FOR THE JUDOKA TO HOLD ON TO. Put a judo gi on a wrestler and watch him get thrown all over the place. Take the gi's off and watch the judoka do nothing at all with the wrestler and get owned. Make everyone in MMA wear a gi and you'd see judoka's dominate.

Seriously, how many people here have done judo? It's all about the grip fighting to get the best hold on the collar and sleeve and then tying to off-balance your opponent so you can throw/trip them. Watch the olympic stuff and you'll see it in every single match.
Wilhelm is offline  Top
Old 08-03-2012, 05:20 PM   #37
EDDIE FUTCH
Go, Sally Pearson!
ESB Jr Member

Parisyan has already been mentioned...

Big (noob) fan here of what Jonathan Brookins and Jon Jones do - seems almost if they have modified including the feet into their wrestling throws. For you judokas, do the the methods/techniques they use slot into equivalent judo moves? (ie. sort of like how Matt Hughes is touted as having no formal BJJ qualification but would be considered the equivalent of a world class BJJ practitioner)
EDDIE FUTCH is offline  Top
Old 08-03-2012, 05:50 PM   #38
Koa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhelm View Post
That's bullshit WHEN THERE IS SOMETHING FOR THE JUDOKA TO HOLD ON TO. Put a judo gi on a wrestler and watch him get thrown all over the place. Take the gi's off and watch the judoka do nothing at all with the wrestler and get owned. Make everyone in MMA wear a gi and you'd see judoka's dominate.

Seriously, how many people here have done judo? It's all about the grip fighting to get the best hold on the collar and sleeve and then tying to off-balance your opponent so you can throw/trip them. Watch the olympic stuff and you'll see it in every single match.
Extensively as a kid. For me it wasn't about grip, maybe because we were still boys. It was about hips, timing, timing when you step to shift weight to catch your opponent off balance. Like if you can time when someone is going to step, if you shift them you can throw them off balance and go for a move that you are already good at.

You time a guy trying to step in, you can pull him and use his momentum against him to come forward, that is when you execute a throw or trip. What is strange is that you just sort of feel the timing after a while. A lot of the time you are just sort of feeling your opponent out and waiting for an opportunity to catch him by surprise, or make a mistake.
Koa is offline  Top
Old 08-03-2012, 06:04 PM   #39
Primate
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koa View Post
It was about hips, timing, timing when you step to shift weight to catch your opponent off balance.
I trained in Judo for a short time a while ago, and this is very much the truth.
Primate is offline  Top
Old 08-03-2012, 08:08 PM   #40
Big Red
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1036

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDDIE FUTCH View Post
Parisyan has already been mentioned...

Big (noob) fan here of what Jonathan Brookins and Jon Jones do - seems almost if they have modified including the feet into their wrestling throws. For you judokas, do the the methods/techniques they use slot into equivalent judo moves? (ie. sort of like how Matt Hughes is touted as having no formal BJJ qualification but would be considered the equivalent of a world class BJJ practitioner)
Yeah, he has incorperated some judo into his game. I don't know that much about Roman greco though. He does a little bit of a harai goshi and some ashi waza and an osoto gari.

Sometimes I think its better to just be a striker and have really good take down defense, then to work on all these other things.
Big Red is offline  Top
Old 08-03-2012, 08:37 PM   #41
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 847

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red View Post
Yeah, he has incorperated some judo into his game. I don't know that much about Roman greco though. He does a little bit of a harai goshi and some ashi waza and an osoto gari.

Sometimes I think its better to just be a striker and have really good take down defense, then to work on all these other things.
If you can be a good striker with a killer guard, I would say you are set. You can let loose with your striking, and the fear of the takedown is nonexistent. A guy like Charles Oliveira is a solid example. He can get really creative and aggressive with his striking without worrying about being taken down and controlled.
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Old 08-03-2012, 08:41 PM   #42
keyser
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Many of the HW olympians would have a hard time making UFC's stupid 265lbs limit.
keyser is offline  Top
Old 08-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #43
sugarngold
RIDDUM
East Side Guru

vCash: 157

Somebody already mentioned the Akiyama/Shields match on this thread - that was a perfect example of a guy with excellent wrestling being tossed around by a judoka.

I have an old Judo textbook from the turn of the Ninteenth century (1901 If I recall correctly) and it shows all of the various locks including arm, legs, chokes, etc.
sugarngold is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2012, 01:58 AM   #44
geppy
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2166

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhelm View Post

Lol, like the UFC if going to make everyone wear a Judo GI so the Judo players can have a chance to use their throws.
geppy is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2012, 01:26 PM   #45
EDDIE FUTCH
Go, Sally Pearson!
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red View Post

I don't see a lot of feints/traps to initiate throws (the only guy I can think of who feints well in whole body control is Demian Maia, and he ain't exactly a judo guy)

JDS
Chuck Liddell...for a while...
EDDIE FUTCH is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum