Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum

Old 07-27-2012, 06:23 AM   #1
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Heavyweights at the 2012 games

Many fans wonder what the heavyweight division will look like once the Klitschkos retire. While Wlad looks like he can stay on top for another 4 years, by 2016 he will be at the end of his career. Fans of heavyweight boxing looking for new talent can always look to the World Championship Amateur Championships, and the Olympics. Most amateurs it takes 3-4 years before they are ready for a world title shot. In other words, by 2016 some of the below names might have worked their way up to a title shot.

I do believe the overall depth in the 2012 games at Super heavyweight and heavyweight is better than 2008, 2004, 2000, 1996, and even 1992. While I won’t predict there will be someone as good as Lewis or either Klitschko, I can say the 2012 games are teaming with young talent.

Below is a quick rundown of guys that I think would make good professionals:

Heavyweight, 91KG.

Usky. Nation: Ukraine. Age 25 years old. A 6’3” lefty with pound for pound type of skills and very good hand speed, Usky was absolutely robbed in the 2008 games. He won the world championships in 2011. Not a huge puncher, but the skills are there. He will be tough to beat. It only takes 30 seconds of watching this guy to see how good he is. My pick for gold.

Beterbiev. Nation: Russia. Age 27. 6’ Beterbiev is a true boxer puncher; Beterbiev is a very watchable fighter who can win on points of via stoppage. A former light heavyweight, Beterbiev is only 6’ feet tall. His best chances as a professional looks to be cruiser weight. If Beterbiev is in the opposite bracket of Usky, he should win Bronze or Silver. Gold is not out of the question.

Hunter. Nation USA. Age 24. 6’2” Hunter, is the son of former professional heavyweight, Mike “ the Bounty “ Hunter. Hunter is fast, and can counter. Hunter wasn’t big or powerful enough to succeed at super heavyweight as the size difference and power difference between 91Kg and 91+Kg can be significant these days. With a good draw, Hunter can win Bronze. For what it’s worth, Hunter is a bit better than past USA heavies and super heavies. I am lisitng him here for that reason even if there might be a better choice.

Super Heavyweight, 91k+

This field will be hard to handicap! I can see 4 men winning gold here so I will just list the best.

Dychko. Nation: Kazakjstan. Age 21. 6’9”. Dychko looks a bit like Vitali Klitshcko with a shaved head. For a guy 6’9”, Dycko has fantastic foot speed. He has the foot quickness of a light weight, and pretty quick hands too. The skills are solid. He can pile up points with his height and reach, hit for power, or counter. He takes a good punch too. Simply stated he’s a fantastic young talent who might be ready to come into his own this summer. Not sure if he would turn professional if he wins gold due to his age.

Medzhidov. Nation: Born in Russia, fights for Azerbaijan. Age 25. 6’3”. Medzhidov is a brutal looking puncher. When he lands there is a thudding sound like a ferry dock slamming into a dock. How hard does he hit? I think harder than Lewis or Wlad when they were amateurs. When Medzhidov lands his opponent either retreats quickly or is visibly hurt. Medzhidov won the 2011 world amateur championships scoring a few stoppages along the way. He is a little wild, but has the right sort of pressure style, which is complemented by his “ I’m going to take you out mentality. “ His chin appears to be iron, and he has good stamina for a man his size and build. No one will exchange punches willingly with this guy! I hope he goes pro.

Joshua Nation: Great Brittan. Age 22. 6’6”. Joshua is perhaps the best overall combination of size, speed, power and skills at super heavyweight, however he has been stopped twice before, so his chin is an issue. He’s not a coward or runner. He has show heart. Joshua came out of nowhere and won silver in the 2011 game, getting an easy early draw, and losing in the finals to Medzhidov. He will have the home town advantage in the games. If Joshua fights smart, he can win gold. I think he will turn professional one day. He has had some issues with the law before, though, and needs to mature a bit before turning professional.

Omarov. Nation: Russia. Age 22. 6’5”. A fast rising talent, Omarov hold recent wins over the young Hrgovic ( who is better than more than half the field here but did not qualify due to the talent level in Europe ) and a Cammarlle ( who won gold in 2008 ). Omarov can box and hit. I have seen him the least of the top 4, but if he puts it all together gold is not out of the question.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2012, 06:43 AM   #2
Vysotsky
Champion
East Side Guru

Default Re: Heavyweights at the 2012 games

Oleksandr Usyk *

HW is maybe the most stacked division imo. In terms of tier's i would rate it

Usyk
Mammadov (why no mention of him? He's only 18, 6'6, athletic and can box and fight. Guy is quality)
Russo

Beterbiev
Levit
Karneyeu
Xuanxuan
Pulev
Larduet
Hunter

All of the guys in tier II could potentially beat eachother or a tier I guy although i wouldn't favor them. HW is deep

SHW Euro qualifiers were such bullshit. There were 4 brackets and Hrgovic, Kapitonenko, Zuyeu, Omarov were all in the same bracket (and the top 4 SHW's at the tourney) which ensured only one could make it to the final. 2 of the other brackets were filled with ****ing nobodies. There was no seeding at all.

Last edited by Vysotsky; 07-27-2012 at 06:53 AM.
Vysotsky is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2012, 12:59 PM   #3
boxeo#1
Boxer-Puncher
ESB Addict

vCash: 4511

Why no mention of Cammarelle?
boxeo#1 is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2012, 06:39 AM   #4
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxeo#1 View Post
Why no mention of Cammarelle?
He isn't as good as he once was, the field is much better now. Cammarelle hasn't won a big event in a while. Even at his peak I got the sense Cammarelle who is gifted with fast hands, skills, and power, did not like the rough part of boxing. When he won gold in 2008, there was no Povektin, or any skilled super heavies. Now the field is loaded with bigger men than Cammarelle who also have skills.

I would say with a good draw, Cammarelle can win two matches and get a Bronze.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2012, 06:40 AM   #5
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vysotsky View Post
SHW Euro qualifiers were such bullshit. There were 4 brackets and Hrgovic, Kapitonenko, Zuyeu, Omarov were all in the same bracket (and the top 4 SHW's at the tourney) which ensured only one could make it to the final. 2 of the other brackets were filled with ****ing nobodies. There was no seeding at all.
Must have been a random draw. Kapitonenko is good, not great. I think the young Hrgovic can be great. Its a shame he had the wrong draw and lost early to Omarov.

Who do you think will win at super heavy?
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2012, 06:58 AM   #6
Vysotsky
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post
Must have been a random draw. Kapitonenko is good, not great. I think the young Hrgovic can be great. Its a shame he had the wrong draw and lost early to Omarov.

Who do you think will win at super heavy?
Medzhidov, Omarov, Dychko, Joshua all have a equal chance. Joshua drew Savon and both are capable of stopping the other. Should be interesting opening fight to watch.

Medzhidov and Omarov will fight in the 2nd round if Omarov gets past the American and Dychko will probably fight Pfeifer then Yoka in then first 2 rounds.
Vysotsky is offline  Top
Old 07-30-2012, 06:32 AM   #7
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Medzhidov, Omarov, Dychko, Joshua all have a equal chance. Joshua drew Savon and both are capable of stopping the other. Should be interesting opening fight to watch.

Medzhidov and Omarov will fight in the 2nd round if Omarov gets past the American and Dychko will probably fight Pfeifer then Yoka in then first 2 rounds.
I think Joshua had the easier draw. He has a tough 1st match, but after that can sail into the finals.

The field is loaded. I was not happy with the draw at heavy either.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 07-30-2012, 08:47 AM   #8
11player
Belt holder
ESB Addict

The matchups should be made according to achievements and results of the last 2 years.

Joshua vs Savon for a starter is a complete messup.
11player is offline  Top
Old 08-01-2012, 03:11 PM   #9
Manning
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1449

Quote:

The thing is Joshua being the home fighter is basically going to be starting with a 5pt advantage every fight. Considering Medzhidov only beat him by the 1pt in the World Championship you would have to fancy his chances of pulling off the win. Basically every punch of his that hits the glove or is blocked with the crowd cheering it on will count as a point.
Manning is offline  Top
Old 08-01-2012, 03:16 PM   #10
Manning
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1449

Quote:
Oleksandr Usyk *

HW is maybe the most stacked division imo. In terms of tier's i would rate it

Usyk
Mammadov (why no mention of him? He's only 18, 6'6, athletic and can box and fight. Guy is quality)
Russo

Beterbiev
Levit
Karneyeu
Xuanxuan
Pulev
Larduet
Hunter

All of the guys in tier II could potentially beat eachother or a tier I guy although i wouldn't favor them. HW is deep

I've quite liked the look of the Argie Yamil Peralta Jara too. Could be a dark horse to win the whole thing.
Manning is offline  Top
Old 08-01-2012, 07:36 PM   #11
Vysotsky
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning View Post
I've quite liked the look of the Argie Yamil Peralta Jara too. Could be a dark horse to win the whole thing.
Never seen him before he looked very impressive today. Pulev can be inconsistant but he looked in top form today. Pulev vs Peralta should be close and exciting. I think Usyk will beat Beterbiev quite easy but the Pulev/Peralta winner should make for a good competitive SF fight.

Karneyeu looked himself, formitable, great combination puncher and aggressive but he's a little flat footed. Usually i'd say Mammadov is a bad style matchup but considering how slow and unimpressive he looked today Karneyeu may have a good chance. Russo will be too quick for Larduet. Xuanxuan looked terrible

SHW Dychko and Zhang both looked real impressive. I don't see Omarov beating Medzhidov. Joshua won via robbery obviously (feel bad for Savon) i hope Zhang beats him but he'll probably need a stoppage to do so.

Last edited by Vysotsky; 08-02-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Vysotsky is offline  Top
Old 08-03-2012, 06:31 AM   #12
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Never seen him before he looked very impressive today. Pulev can be inconsistant but he looked in top form today. Pulev vs Peralta should be close and exciting. I think Usyk will beat Beterbiev quite easy but the Pulev/Peralta winner should make for a good competitive SF fight.

Karneyeu looked himself, formitable, great combination puncher and aggressive but he's a little flat footed. Usually i'd say Mammadov is a bad style matchup but considering how slow and unimpressive he looked today Karneyeu may have a good chance. Russo will be too quick for Larduet. Xuanxuan looked terrible

SHW Dychko and Zhang both looked real impressive. I don't see Omarov beating Medzhidov. Joshua won via robbery obviously (feel bad for Savon) i hope Zhang beats him but he'll probably need a stoppage to do so.
Medzhidov said he wants to go pro, and I beleive has been in the Miami gym with pros already!

Omarov is decent, but he has little chance here, unless he can somehow counter and play defense the entire match over Medzhidov.

Savon is very skilled, and was robbed.

I do Zhang can look good, but he's not great.

Dycko looked great.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2012, 06:44 AM   #13
macademics
Journeyman

vCash: 330

I met Wang (CHINA 91kg) on Wednesday and again on Thursday, he doesn't look that big and I couldn't believe him when he told me that he is 91kg I told him he was lying and him and his coach started laughing, met the Cuban boxing team also - not a very friendly lot and had quick chat with some Puerto Rico boxing coaches. Got a picture with Vasily Lomenchenko also. Saw Nicola Adams
macademics is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2012, 09:03 AM   #14
Vysotsky
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post
Medzhidov said he wants to go pro, and I beleive has been in the Miami gym with pros already!

Omarov is decent, but he has little chance here, unless he can somehow counter and play defense the entire match over Medzhidov.

Savon is very skilled, and was robbed.

I do Zhang can look good, but he's not great.

Dycko looked great.
Bad news. Seems Medzhidov signed a contract with APB (AIBA Pro Boxing) before the Olympics along with Sapiyev, Russo, Valentino, Shin. Not 100% positive what APB is but it seems just like amateur boxing governed by AIBA but under pro rules. They'll only fight other APB fighters. Russo and Valentino signed 5 year contracts not sure about Medzhidov.

I also read someone who questioned if these fighters would be shown favortism by the judges at the Olympics since having a Olympic medal winner fighting in the startup APB would be good for its image. At first AIBA's president Dr.Wu seemed like he genuinely wanted to clean up amateur boxing but now he just seems like a power hungry ****ing crook who wants to be the sole ruler over all of amateur and pro boxing.
Vysotsky is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum