Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-02-2012, 08:47 PM   #1
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166
Default Who is the best Venezuelan Fighter ever ??

The thread about Leo Gamez made me wonder about this......

Venezuela is a traditional boxing country and despite they never had an ATG so to speak...they have had numerous title holders, like Leo Gamez, Carlos Hernandez, Antonio Esparragoza, Bernardo Piņango (silver medal at the Olympics), Fulgencio Obelmejias, etc......

If you have to pick only one...who you would consider The Best venezuelan fighter of all time ???
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2012, 09:03 PM   #2
Vantage_West
ヒップホップ·プロデューサー
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who is the best Venezuelan Fighter ever ??

maybe leo gamez. but bernando pinango has a good shout.

very deep boxing culture just a lot of fall shorters who had promise through.

i know valero will top it if we made a poll. but he was so overated in the truest sense of the word. decent puncher with a high workrate with good amatuer knowledge against fairly weak opponants.
Vantage_West is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2012, 09:19 PM   #3
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166

Betulio Gonzalez is surely worth a shout...He would be probably the most accomplished and faced some very stiff opposition.

Depends how you feel about some of his questionable fights.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2012, 09:50 PM   #4
Drew101
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 0

Isreal Contreras deserves a mention, if only for waxing Vasquez in one.

Edit: I see Vantage already expressed my point of view regarding Valero, so no need to repeat it.

Second Edit: For me it comes down to Antonio Esperragoza or Betulio Gonzalez. Since I've had Top 100 lists that have included Betulio in the number 100 slot, I think I give him the edge by a slight margin.
Drew101 is online now  Top
Old 08-02-2012, 09:53 PM   #5
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhataRock View Post
Betulio Gonzalez is surely worth a shout...He would be probably the most accomplished and faced some very stiff opposition.

Depends how you feel about some of his questionable fights.
Good shout!
AlFrancis is online now  Top
Old 08-02-2012, 10:15 PM   #6
scartissue
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Betulio Gonzales followed closely by Carlos Hernandez. Also rounding out a top five would be Vicente Rondon, Luis Estaba and Antonio Esparragosa. Also one can consider if doing a top 10 the Espana brothers, Vicente Rivas, Pinango, Obel and we'll never know how good Cruz Marcano could have been.
scartissue is offline  Top
Old 08-03-2012, 06:52 AM   #7
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I like Carlos Hernandez
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2012, 02:00 PM   #8
AREA 53
Contender
ESB Senior Member

When i think of venezuelan fighters, two always spring to mind, Jose Luis Garcia
who shattered the stella prospect Ken Norton, Jose looked like a real lean mean gem for awhile, he was really a natural cruiserweight by todays standards, Got good Ink from the ring and Boxing Illustrated, Then Drunk and ate himself into another 25lb, and became a sluggish trailhorse, and fell away...

And Vicente Rondon, who was doing quite well at Lt Heavy ...the reward for that success was to win the WBA world Lt Heavy Title in a fight with Jimmy Dupree,
talk about poisoned Chalice..That meant a unification fight with True Champ Bob Foster...Vicente was frozen with fear and easily despatched by Bob...Vicente was never the same again the Mental Scars ran deep it seems...

But two good fighters from Venezuela...before the rot set in..
AREA 53 is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2012, 07:01 PM   #9
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREA 53 View Post
When i think of venezuelan fighters, two always spring to mind, Jose Luis Garcia
who shattered the stella prospect Ken Norton, Jose looked like a real lean mean gem for awhile, he was really a natural cruiserweight by todays standards, Got good Ink from the ring and Boxing Illustrated, Then Drunk and ate himself into another 25lb, and became a sluggish trailhorse, and fell away...

And Vicente Rondon, who was doing quite well at Lt Heavy ...the reward for that success was to win the WBA world Lt Heavy Title in a fight with Jimmy Dupree,
talk about poisoned Chalice..That meant a unification fight with True Champ Bob Foster...Vicente was frozen with fear and easily despatched by Bob...Vicente was never the same again the Mental Scars ran deep it seems...

But two good fighters from Venezuela...before the rot set in..
Man..that Foster ko of Rondon was chilling. Foster was a monster in that fight..I mean execution.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2012, 07:05 PM   #10
SJS19
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

I agree with Drew, and Edwin Valero is not relevant.
SJS19 is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2012, 07:12 PM   #11
TheGreatA
Champion
East Side Guru

Carlos Hernandez may not have been the greatest champion nor the most dominant out of them but he surely fought the best competition. Valero was arguably not even the best puncher out of Venezuela since Hernandez iced far better competition with his quick, chopping right hand.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpX2SbFuNS8[/ame]

He also put the great Nicolino Locche on the canvas, only to be battered and put down by the light-hitting Argentinian later in the bout:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4-NI8u3a0w[/ame]

6:35
TheGreatA is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2012, 10:27 PM   #12
scartissue
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Thanks, I've often heard of this knockdown but never saw it until now. Loche was buzzed bad. Didn't catch the time of the round. Was the round legitimately over or was there anything funny? Hernandez also put down Napoles and Perkins in losing efforts.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:09 AM   #13
TheGreatA
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by scartissue View Post
Thanks, I've often heard of this knockdown but never saw it until now. Loche was buzzed bad. Didn't catch the time of the round. Was the round legitimately over or was there anything funny? Hernandez also put down Napoles and Perkins in losing efforts.
The round begins at 3:50 and ends at around 6:50 in the video so it was probably legit. Locche seemed to recover well considering the way he had gone down, caught on the temple and then on the chin.

Hernandez's chopping right hand almost always seemed to find its mark, even in losing efforts. He was definitely one of the more overlooked contenders around the 135 and 140 lb divisions, nobody seems to mention him when speaking of the legacies of Locche and Napoles.
TheGreatA is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2012, 08:13 AM   #14
scartissue
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatA View Post
The round begins at 3:50 and ends at around 6:50 in the video so it was probably legit. Locche seemed to recover well considering the way he had gone down, caught on the temple and then on the chin.

Hernandez's chopping right hand almost always seemed to find its mark, even in losing efforts. He was definitely one of the more overlooked contenders around the 135 and 140 lb divisions, nobody seems to mention him when speaking of the legacies of Locche and Napoles.
Always felt he belonged in that 100 greatest punchers list Ring mag did a few years back. It was chilling power. Davey Moore - jaw broken and stopped in 7, Teo Cruz - stopped twice in his career - to Mando Ramos on cuts and in 2 rounds to Hernandez, Bunny Grant - stopped twice in his career - at the end of his career in 9 rounds to Clyde Gray and in 2 rounds to hernandez. Also stopped Urbina, Lane, Brown and retired Rosi, who was relatively coming off a very disputed 10 round loss to Carlos Ortiz, whom he had on the deck. Underrated fighter.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:56 AM   #15
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 0

From what I have seen, Esparragoza for me. I think too Rojas deserves a mention, not least for being the man to beat the brilliant Colombian, Fidel Bassa.
TBooze is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum