Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 07-27-2012, 02:02 PM   #1
Ricky42791
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2835
Default Sparring bigger taller fighters

Usually I love fighting guys bigger than me because I dont have to chase them and they'll slug with me but I enjoy a speed advantage. I have sparred this one guy on three separate occasions and he gives me fits! I dont mean to toot my own horn to to sound ****y but I'm a pretty good puncher with a solid chin and this allows me to compete with bigger, slower more powerful fighters. I much rather slug it out than have to deal with a slick boxer/mover. Anyway I weigh around 175 pounds and I fight in the 178 weight class. I always have a disadvantage with reach and I am pretty short for my weight 5'7 so i'm used to bobbing and weaving to get on the inside. i sparred this guy at my gym a couple times. He reminds me of a jess williard type. Powerful, strong, imposing size but little boxing skills and kind of clumsy. He gets pretty wild too. Now this guy is over 200 and i'd say about 6'4 so it might just be that he's too big/strong/tall for me. However i've sparred guys his size and fared much better. Heres what has happened. The first time I went in their to box not to brawl but he came running out of his corner throwing haymakers at me so I decided to brawl back. admittedly I got a little mad and started head hunting. He's so tall that its hard to just lunge in and hit him without body shots. Our first sparring session was a war but I was unsatisfied because his boxing skills suck he's just a big strong puncher. I know i'm better than him but the first time I got suckered in to a brawl and ending up head hunting I landed some good shots but took too many good shots as well. The second time I was more defensive, kept my head movement slipped and ducked a lot of his shots but I have to get on the inside so I have to be the agressor it would appear. He wont stand toe to toe with me he kind of waits for me to rush in and than clock me with a big counter. Second time I got hit much less but I couldnt really do anything affective with my offensive. The third time I came out agressive but tried to keep a cool head and work the body. I had hurt him to the body in our first session with a left hook to the liver so I went back there and hurt him again. I got a lot of good shots in but this guy is so damn strong. He's kind of unpredictable too because his lack of skill if that make sense. He comes running in with big haymakers but than back pedals when im the agressor and tries to hit me with a big counter. He is very strong so when I do brawl with him I take my share of punishment too. If i box i'm almost to passive and ineffective. It ****es me off because I know im a much better fighter than him but his reach, height and strength seem to even things out. Any suggestions? Again I dont mean to brag at all im just trying to paint a clearer picture.
Ricky42791 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2012, 07:46 PM   #2
greynotsoold
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Sparring bigger taller fighters

Brilliant observation, about the 'lack of skill' making him unpredictable. That is always a problem, a guy that doesn't know, much less do, what he is supposed to do, when he is supposed to do it, so you can counter him. It is hard to draw that guy in, it is hard to feint him, and so on, because he doesn't react like he is supposed to. It also sounds to me like you may get a bit wild coming in, and he draws you into coming to him.
To get him to react correctly, you'll have to teach him to do so. I don't know him, haven't seen him, so you'll have to figure that out. But condition him to do something, so you can take advantage of him for doing it. Also, approach this a a puzzle, round by round, instead of a fight. If you want to hit his body, what can you do to make him do something that will enable you to hit his liver? My idea would be to draw his jab, land the right to the heart under his jab, then hit the liver.
Finally, with his size and strength advantages, you may be not better off inside than outside. His reach can keep you off, and his strength can smother you. Do your damage, land your punches, in the transition, on the way in. Watch Dempsey/Willard, and most early Tyson fights. He couldn't fight good inside, but he was hell on the way in.
greynotsoold is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2012, 10:40 PM   #3
Ricky42791
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Thats great advise, I appreciate it! I'm glad someone can relate to lack of skill being unpredictable thank you very much!
Old 07-28-2012, 09:20 AM   #4
SJS19
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Refinement = textbook.

For every page dictating a skill in a text book, there's a counter page in another textbook showing how to deal with that skill.

Wild and unpredictable attacks are a skill in their own right, and are not confined to set techniques. You're right.

Prime example is Pacquaio. As he has evolved into a better Boxer, he's actually become easier to deal with.
SJS19 is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2012, 12:20 PM   #5
Ricky42791
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I can see that! Manny used to be so wild and shoot from so many different angles going 120 mph the whole fight. That definitely contributes to unpredictability not to mention he's a damn south paw which throws a wrench in the gears anyway. Thats a great example but now that he is more refined and his work rate has greatly slowed he's much easier to deal with. I agree 100% I think thats why he gave all those tough mexicans such fits was he was so unpredictable. Its like their lack of skill and awkwardness is a positive attribute in a twisted way because you never know what they're going to do lol JAB slip this side CROSS slip the otherside HOOK duck under but when pucnhes are coming from all angles and he's a strong puncher its really a pain in the ass to deal with. I'm not used to getting out muscled either but he's just such a big guy it takes away my role as kind of the bully. Its so maddening because he's so clumsy and awkward that i'm ashamed to be this troubled by him but I just really dont know what to expect from this guy lol
Old 07-28-2012, 01:56 PM   #6
SJS19
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky42791 View Post
I can see that! Manny used to be so wild and shoot from so many different angles going 120 mph the whole fight. That definitely contributes to unpredictability not to mention he's a damn south paw which throws a wrench in the gears anyway. Thats a great example but now that he is more refined and his work rate has greatly slowed he's much easier to deal with. I agree 100% I think thats why he gave all those tough mexicans such fits was he was so unpredictable. Its like their lack of skill and awkwardness is a positive attribute in a twisted way because you never know what they're going to do lol JAB slip this side CROSS slip the otherside HOOK duck under but when pucnhes are coming from all angles and he's a strong puncher its really a pain in the ass to deal with. I'm not used to getting out muscled either but he's just such a big guy it takes away my role as kind of the bully. Its so maddening because he's so clumsy and awkward that i'm ashamed to be this troubled by him but I just really dont know what to expect from this guy lol
Ideally, you'd want to be a tall and rangy fighter with a solid jab to hide behind, but I remember you're more of an infighter mate?

Remember I spoke to you about getting close and using footwork, shoulders etc to open up angles to the opponents body? I'd suggest taking offensive initiative away from this wild guy. Get right up against his chest and don't give him the chance to play wild cards. I think I told you to keep your hands up and elbows tucked in so you could defend yourself, and to throw from there? We spoke at length about Ricky Hatton. That would be the way to go here I think.
SJS19 is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2012, 03:31 AM   #7
Ricky42791
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Thanks! and i love being an infighter haha but I understand what you mean, to combat this style you'd want to be a tall rangy guy. Once i get inside i know i can hurt him and I have hurt him with liver/body shots. its just getting there thats the problem. I can bob and weave well but I always feel like I run right in to this guys shots alla Foreman v Frazier. He's also very physical, he likes to rough me up a lot by pushing me of him when i get on the inside, like I say we both trade heavy leather but I feel reckless and wild while doing so. I'll have to work on the Ricky Hatton footwork and angles when it comes to body shots rather than standing right in front of him. Thats a great point. Thanks!
Old 07-30-2012, 04:52 PM   #8
greynotsoold
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

If he is a southpaw, get low and move to your right. Make him throw his left hand and counter off of it. When you are looking at an opponent, you have to think about what he is good at, what he wants to do. Then you make a decision, and it is one of two things. Can I handle his strength, go to it, then take it from him and make him pay for using it? Or do I want to go away from his strength and make him fall into patterns, use other strengths, that I don't know about?
A southpaw is conditioned to look for the left hand against an orthodox fighter, just like right handers are conditioned to look for the straigth right against a southpaw. You being shorter, and because you mentioned it, he is looking to walk you into an uppercut. Hook his body off his jab, and always hook off his left hand. The story forever has been to throw the straight right against a southpaw, after you move to your left and hook.
I'm telling you, move into his left hand and hook every time he throws his left, come back with a right hand. You beat the southpaw left with your left.
greynotsoold is offline  Top
Old 07-31-2012, 09:39 AM   #9
Ricky42791
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I meant Pacquiao is a southpaw making his unpredictable style even more difficult. the guy i fight in orthadox but thanks for the insight, southpaws are always a giant pain in the ***** to deal with...
Old 07-31-2012, 07:26 PM   #10
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

Thats a good post , enjoyed reading that

I fight MMA but i am a boxer / grappler therefore i box more than most MMA fighters do , because it suits my style , plus i box boxers half the time , not just MMA fighters

Funny you should mention this stylistic clash because i had this problem over in Thailand , with a tall lump of a German who for some ****ing reason wanted to go to war with me every time we sparred , the **** didn't do it with anyone else , just me

So i duly obliged , im a smilier build to yourself , fighting weight is around 180 for me and this guy was 220 easy , i was probably more like 190 at the time , anyway long story short , just like your man in the gym this idiot would look to swarm me then run away once i looked to engage at which point he would throw an over hand right or a left hook , just a single shot

Ok so what did i do about it (bear in mind here we were sparring Thai but he couldn't throw any kicks maybe thats why he liked to spar with me as I'm more of a boxer than a Thai boxer, as he was) , ok as he swarmed i took half a step in and crashed him with a gut shot (right hand , almost like an uppercut) followed by a tight left hook , a little bit like Danny Garcia against Khan , chin tucked in and used the leverage from the gut shot to bring my left hook up nicely , i found the body shot was landing and put him off swarming in wildly , and when the left hook landed he didn't like the 2 together , he didn't know what combination i was using and looked a bit baffled , a well placed gut shot (right hand to the solar's) and a tight left hook upstairs as a combo , it works well to raw swarmers who wanna whack

Coming in i simply used faint , faint , throw 2 faints showed me his cards , once he shows i counter , if he throws an over hand right i was crashing him with a lead left hook , if he threw a left hook i was hitting his body with a left hook with a slight level change and and coming under his left hook , my hand speed is quick and I'm the short compact stocky style , he was a big lad maybe 6'3'' , so what would normally be ambitious was working as i was much quicker , the faints basically had him in fits , his arms would just flail out normally as a pure reaction as oppose to actually looking to time me coming in

Im by no means a pure boxer but this ****er was raw , and had heavy hands , once i got these 2 principles working i began to control ours spars and he didn't really know what to do to counter them , they worked for me give them a try
thewinfella is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2012, 06:22 AM   #11
Ricky42791
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Thanks for that post winfella! raw is a very good word for this guy, wild strong and unpredictable lol from what i've gathered for facing a guy like this, is you have to throw a ton of feints. I never tried an upshot to the solar plexus on him, that sounds like an ideal punch followed by a tight left hook upstairs. I've honestly never had more trouble in just figuring someone out than with this guy, and its because he throws science in a bucket and just runs at you theres no strategy or logic to his attack. Im a banger so it would seem like it would play right in to my hands but his movement his so damn awkward it kills me! I''ll try that next time I spar him! right upshot, tight left hook!

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing