Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Should Amir Khan let Emmanuel in?
Yes, let Manny in. Manny is perfect for Amir 71 63.39%
No. It's pointless. It's over for Amir. No Man can save him. 24 21.43%
Amir can be saved. BUT Emannuel is not the man to do it. 17 15.18%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-04-2012, 05:49 AM   #16
Henke67
Unbroken History
ESB Addict

Location: Our revenge will be in the laughter of our children
vCash: 2144
Default Re: Emmanuel Steward offers himself to Amir Khan. Khan Hesitant.

Steward is perfect for Khan. Manny has taken more than one fighter who can't fight inside and led them to a successful career. With his jab, handspeed and movement, I think Manny can give him a gameplan that will be more successful in hiding his flaws.

Much like he did with Wlad, Manny will make Khan much less entertaining but much more effective.
Henke67 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2012, 05:51 AM   #17
Chappy112
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 4000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJS19 View Post
Because Khan shoe shines.

He needs to plant his feet, stick his jab and throw a hard right behind it. THEN use his feet to change the angle.
I agree, obviously it will make a difference to his power but will it be enough? If people still don't respect his power it might be even easier to pressure him and get inside because his feet will be planted.
Chappy112 is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2012, 05:52 AM   #18
v2k987
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1582

I think Floyd Sr would be the best trainer for Khan. Defence, head movement and accuracy would be taught
v2k987 is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2012, 05:56 AM   #19
liger05
puroresu fan 4 life!!
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

I think the biggest question with roach is how much has he slowed down? Does he still give enough?
liger05 is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2012, 05:59 AM   #20
Henke67
Unbroken History
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2k987 View Post
I think Floyd Sr would be the best trainer for Khan. Defence, head movement and accuracy would be taught
I think Sr would be terrible for Khan. Amir is far too upright and stiff to use the shoulder-roll effectively. Even Oscar, who was more flexible, struggled to execute it at times.

Khan is a straight-up fighter - he doesn't have the upperpbody movement to slip and roll with punches like that. He needs to improve his defence (obviously) but I guarantee he'd get hit a lot more often if he used the shoulder-roll.
Henke67 is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2012, 06:02 AM   #21
v2k987
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke67 View Post
I think Sr would be terrible for Khan. Amir is far too upright and stiff to use the shoulder-roll effectively. Even Oscar, who was more flexible, struggled to execute it at times.

Khan is a straight-up fighter - he doesn't have the upperpbody movement to slip and roll with punches like that. He needs to improve his defence (obviously) but I guarantee he'd get hit a lot more often if he used the shoulder-roll.
Khan doesn't really fight at range and i wouldnt call him a stand up fighter. He is an in and out fighter.

I think senior could teach him to think a little more.
v2k987 is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2012, 06:03 AM   #22
SJS19
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappy112 View Post
I agree, obviously it will make a difference to his power but will it be enough? If people still don't respect his power it might be even easier to pressure him and get inside because his feet will be planted.
Teach him to clinch properly as a last resort.

He is fast. I would assume that he has the swiftness of foot to escape should someone start to walk through his punches.

He needs to start being smarter. Jab to the body to slow the opponent down. Fire his jab like a piston, with a set purpose other than to set up a combination. Use it to maintain distance, and crack the right hand whenever someone gets to brave.
SJS19 is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2012, 06:06 AM   #23
Henke67
Unbroken History
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2k987 View Post
Khan doesn't really fight at range and i wouldnt call him a stand up fighter. He is an in and out fighter.

I think senior could teach him to think a little more.
Have you ever seen Amir duck under punches, slip from side-to-side and counter? I've watched all of his fights and I've never seen anything to suggest he can fight liken that.

He moves in-and-out but he's always standing in a straight-up position, whether he's moving forwards or backwards.

Floyd Sr teaches all of his fighters to use the shoulder-roll and Khan just doesn't have the upper-body movement or flexibility to use that effectively.

He made a lot of improvements under Roach but it doesn't look like he can take him any further.
Henke67 is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2012, 06:16 AM   #24
oli
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

He's clearly sacking roach now or he wouldn't have opened his mouth
oli is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2012, 06:58 AM   #25
gatorbama
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Have you ever seen Amir duck under punches, slip from side-to-side and counter? I've watched all of his fights and I've never seen anything to suggest he can fight liken that.

He moves in-and-out but he's always standing in a straight-up position, whether he's moving forwards or backwards.

Floyd Sr teaches all of his fighters to use the shoulder-roll and Khan just doesn't have the upper-body movement or flexibility to use that effectively.

He made a lot of improvements under Roach but it doesn't look like he can take him any further.
Due to what happened to Ricky hatton, he may not be the best example to use but Sr was not trying to teach hatton how to do the shoulder roll. He just wanted him to move his head, think, and work behind his jab.

The shoulder roll may be his specialty but I think he understand boxing enough to where he knows that he can't teach the shoulder roll to everyone.
gatorbama is online now  Top
Old 08-04-2012, 07:02 AM   #26
Vergilius
Belt holder
ESB Addict

It's a mistake to switch trainers willy nilly. If Khan wants to be a world beater, he needs to look at himself and take responsibility for his own shortcomings. I kinda like Khan, but continuously blaming everyone but himself for his setbacks isn't going to help him any.
Vergilius is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2012, 07:05 AM   #27
Henke67
Unbroken History
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorbama View Post
Due to what happened to Ricky hatton, he may not be the best example to use but Sr was not trying to teach hatton how to do the shoulder roll. He just wanted him to move his head, think, and work behind his jab.

The shoulder roll may be his specialty but I think he understand boxing enough to where he knows that he can't teach the shoulder roll to everyone.
Well, if I remember correctly, there was some controversy in that camp as to how much time Sr was spending with Hatton and how much Ricky was listening to him. Either way, it didn't work out too well. Hatton fought exactly the same as he always did, so I don't think Mayweather taught him anything.

The hallmark of a good trainer is being able to come up with a style that is best suited to each individual fighter, instead of trying to mould them into the trainers style. I can't think of an example where Sr has done that.
Henke67 is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2012, 07:15 AM   #28
v2k987
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

Hmm. Maybe i'm wrong but i always thought he kept his weight on his front foot and leaned in. I always seeing him falling into combinations. Maybe i'm wrong... will go back and actually take a better look at his fighting position
v2k987 is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2012, 07:15 AM   #29
Vergilius
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Well, if I remember correctly, there was some controversy in that camp as to how much time Sr was spending with Hatton and how much Ricky was listening to him. Either way, it didn't work out too well. Hatton fought exactly the same as he always did, so I don't think Mayweather taught him anything.

The hallmark of a good trainer is being able to come up with a style that is best suited to each individual fighter, instead of trying to mould them into the trainers style. I can't think of an example where Sr has done that.
De la Hoya, perhaps? Not saying Senior is right for Khan, but Oscar seemed to respond well to him and Senior never made him use the shoulder roll.
Vergilius is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2012, 07:18 AM   #30
SJS19
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:

Joan Guzman.
SJS19 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum