Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 09-04-2012, 08:32 PM   #1
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 233
Default Boxing Trainer's take on long distance running vs sprinting

What do you think about his take and do you agree or think it's incomplete?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jR0l3USJuI[/ame]
bballchump11 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
r1p00pk
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 253
Default Re: Boxing Trainer's take on long distance running vs sprinting

I think he has it right, from what i think the human body needs to do different things to reach a peak in athletic ability like endurance. You have to make a mix of both, you can't just do 1.
r1p00pk is offline  Top
Old 09-05-2012, 12:14 PM   #3
nvs
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 400

This Brandon Krause dude seems to have a lot of knowledge about these things.
I have watched many videos where he is in dropping knowledge.
nvs is offline  Top
Old 09-05-2012, 12:31 PM   #4
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 233

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvs View Post
This Brandon Krause dude seems to have a lot of knowledge about these things.
I have watched many videos where he is in dropping knowledge.
I agree. I watched an hour worth of his videos yesterday.
bballchump11 is offline  Top
Old 09-05-2012, 01:09 PM   #5
Brand NOOBian
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

I used to mix 2.5 miles jogging + sprint intervals in the same session. Had my first strictly sprint interval session on Monday. I lost count of how many I did, but I sprinted 100 m and walked 100 m nonstop for 30 minutes. Had a few 200 m sprints toward the beginning but couldn't keep them up. I was exhausted by the end of the 30 min. A lot more tired than I've ever been from slow 4-5 mile runs.

I went for a slow run earlier today. Was planning on doing 4 miles, but I hadn't fully recovered from the sprints on Monday. I unintentionally ran at a much slower pace and it was a lot more tiring than usual. Had to push myself just to finish 3 miles.

How do you guys spread out your sprints/roadwork so the two don't overlap and affect the performance of the other? I haven't been to the boxing gym at all this week and I'm curious how it's gonna be when I try to mix all 3.
Brand NOOBian is offline  Top
Old 09-05-2012, 07:55 PM   #6
nvs
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballchump11 View Post
I agree. I watched an hour worth of his videos yesterday.
There is around 100videos on the playlist in ESNEWS youtube channel about him specific.
nvs is offline  Top
Old 09-05-2012, 08:10 PM   #7
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brand NOOBian View Post
I used to mix 2.5 miles jogging + sprint intervals in the same session. Had my first strictly sprint interval session on Monday. I lost count of how many I did, but I sprinted 100 m and walked 100 m nonstop for 30 minutes. Had a few 200 m sprints toward the beginning but couldn't keep them up. I was exhausted by the end of the 30 min. A lot more tired than I've ever been from slow 4-5 mile runs.

I went for a slow run earlier today. Was planning on doing 4 miles, but I hadn't fully recovered from the sprints on Monday. I unintentionally ran at a much slower pace and it was a lot more tiring than usual. Had to push myself just to finish 3 miles.

How do you guys spread out your sprints/roadwork so the two don't overlap and affect the performance of the other? I haven't been to the boxing gym at all this week and I'm curious how it's gonna be when I try to mix all 3.
Make sure you keep your nutrition up and carry on what you're doing for a few weeks. Your body isn't used to what you're putting it through, give it time to adapt. Maybe you are pushing too hard, experience will tell you that, just don't think you have to change things up because it's difficult.

People always seem to think if they don't have as much energy as usual they need to stop whatever they're doing because they're over training, it's sill really.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 09-05-2012, 10:11 PM   #8
Brand NOOBian
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
Make sure you keep your nutrition up and carry on what you're doing for a few weeks. Your body isn't used to what you're putting it through, give it time to adapt. Maybe you are pushing too hard, experience will tell you that, just don't think you have to change things up because it's difficult.

People always seem to think if they don't have as much energy as usual they need to stop whatever they're doing because they're over training, it's sill really.
Dont think over training had anything to do with my last run. If anything, lack of sleep and not enough food were the biggest factors besides my legs still being a little sore from the Monday sprints. My question was more in general so I could have a better idea how to structure my workouts.
Brand NOOBian is offline  Top
Old 09-07-2012, 07:10 AM   #9
masterold
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000

Couldn't you get the best of both by going for ssay a 5 mile run but with about two 100 or 200 metre sprints per mile then going back to your regular pace?
masterold is offline  Top
Old 09-08-2012, 04:22 PM   #10
chris1988

sprint every other lampost thats my thing when im running
chris1988 is offline  Top
Old 09-08-2012, 09:26 PM   #11
LongJab
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brand NOOBian View Post

I run twice a week. I do a light warm up of 1-1.5 mile run, then I do 8-10 sprints of 100-120ms then walk for 100m. I try to have the walk last 1 minute, similar to a rounds worth of rest. I find this is perfect along with my regular boxing workout and weight training. I use stopwatch and log my times. Helps keep me motivated and focused.
LongJab is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing