Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-05-2012, 06:53 AM   #1
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Most horrific prospect for a boxer?

This is probably a shit thread, but it was thinking about Marciano that made me consider it. I think the most horrible thing imaginable for a fighter is to be under 200lbs but faced with Rocky Marciano. What a horrible prospect to see across the ring. For all that there might be bigger punchers (Shavers, Foreman) and better fighters (Ali, Louis) there is something even more awful about the prospect of being faced by Rocky. He was a horrible relentless flat out bastardness may just be unparalleled.

I'm not saying that being 250 and 6'6 and facing Rocky would be any kind of fun. But at least you have a certain physicality to protect you. These guys that were naturally slightly smaller, Charles for example...**** that. However good a boxer you are you just don't want to be a similar size and in the ring with that horror show. Awful.

What other examples of horrorshows in the opposite corner do you have? Who are the last men you would want to see across the ring from you and why?

To put a historical twist on the thing, how about stories where fighters themselves describe this feeling. Someone correct me, but did Baer not define fear as "being stood opposite Joe Louis before the first bell...and seeing he looks like he's in a hurry"? Anyone know any stories like this?
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2012, 07:52 AM   #2
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Default Re: Most horrific prospect for a boxer?

I'd say as a boxer if you're facing anyone who can dominate you and knock you out and you can't see a way to beat them, that would be terrifying. The thing is fear itself can be used to improve performance but once you submit to that fear and don't see a way to win you're opponent has mentally dominated you and you're on your way to losing.

Marciano is great but I don't think Marciano is the most terrifying though. For me the most terrifying thing would be not seeing anyway to beat an opponent and knowing they'll eventually knock you out, which is why some fighters melt down.

Facing Tyson or Lewis for me, those are the 2 I wouldn't want to face. Wlad would be pretty intimidating, he'd be a nightmare to get near and hit, slowly dull you with his jab and then eventually smash you with a brutal right or hook when you're exhausted or he sees an opening.

Tyson has to be the number 1 when it comes to instilling fear into an opponent. He supposedly won fights before his opponent stepped in the ring. Fighting a fighter that fast and technically good that hit that hard is a daunting prospect. You can't hit him, he's so quick you can't defend yourself and he hits hard enough to KO you with either hand.

Lennox was just so big, strong, quick, powerful with power in each hand. If McCall was in with another fighter I'm not sure he'd have cried but it was a fight he couldn't win, which may have been soul destroying, crack addiction aside

Louis you wouldn't want to exchange with his fast accurate powerful punches, you could run from him but when you get tired

Guys like Marciano and Dempsey you at least know you can hit them so you have a chance early in the fight even if they are big punchers who could knock you out. There relentless stamina and aggression is the most intimidating thing though because once you tire fighting at their pace your legs and defence go and they can then knock you out. Holyfield too in that respect, you just can't keep up with his pace

Ali because of his lack of upper end power doesn't seem intimidating but he'd certainly lay a beating on you and could do enough damage
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2012, 08:00 AM   #3
counterpuncher

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Tyson has to be the number 1 when it comes to instilling fear into an opponent. He supposedly won fights before his opponent stepped in the ring. Fighting a fighter that fast and technically good that hit that hard is a daunting prospect. You can't hit him, he's so quick you can't defend yourself and he hits hard enough to KO you with either hand.
I remember watching Tyson fights when he was in his prime, and you could see the fear on his opponent's faces.
counterpuncher is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2012, 08:02 AM   #4
Legend X
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I couldn't imagine getting anywhere near a ring with those guys unless I truly believed I could beat their mother****ing punk asses into the dust.

Which I can't, by the way.
Legend X is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2012, 08:04 AM   #5
Matty lll
Sweet Scientist
ESB Addict

Standing across from someone like Dempsey, Louis, Baer and Liston would be pretty horrific I think. They all have reputations for their punching power and you would be just standing thinking what they might do to you. Like PowerPuncher says the worst(best?) for instilling fear into his opponent, everything he said and did was for intimidation.

Imagine standing in the ring waiting for Tyson and hearing this -

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfMEtmn32MQ[/ame]

or standing across the ring from this-

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Matty lll is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2012, 08:11 AM   #6
MrBumboclart
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Personally I think the most horrific prospect would be to weigh 135 and be scheduled to fight Battling Nelson for 45 rounds
MrBumboclart is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2012, 08:14 AM   #7
oli
Belt holder
ESB Addict

From what iv heard about the man I'd be seriously worried about dying if I was fighting Dempsey. Especially in those days
oli is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2012, 08:25 AM   #8
tezel8764
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 527

Douglas was the man, jumping around the ring and shit and not keeping eye contact Tyson. Tyson mind was on Robin Givens though lol.
tezel8764 is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2012, 08:27 AM   #9
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Fun posts. Gives me the willies.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2012, 09:03 AM   #10
zadfrak
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Here's another 1 not mentioned; facing the concrete chin guys. Big disadvantage in the tools department, but tough as can be, determined, and will be there at the end. You can hit them with the kitchen sink and probably suffer hand damage.

Guys like a George Chuvalo and Juan Laporte. It literally must have been like punching a bank vault door and even though a guy had the skills advantage over them, conditioning was a factor because these concrete chin guys go the distance. They always there. You had to still be in top condition to fight them and it has to be disheartening to land picture perfect combos or beat them to the punch with a sunday punch and not even make those guys blink.
zadfrak is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2012, 09:32 AM   #11
dyna
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1551

Vitali facing the doctor.
dyna is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2012, 09:40 AM   #12
KidJackal
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2323

I think fighting someone like Prince Naseem would be kind of horrific. I would hate going out there fully knowing that I would be clowned and KO'd in embarrassing fashion
KidJackal is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2012, 09:52 AM   #13
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 301

For a true superstar with an ego to match (like an Ali or Leonard); having to accept you are not the best anymore, must be an 'horrific prospect' once you get past (if you can) the denial.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2012, 10:15 AM   #14
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475

Facing Henry Armstrong at lightweight. You don't have a size advantage, you know you don't hit hard enough to keep him off, and you know, unlike a lot of the guys mentioned, he's not going to take you out with one punch. He's going to beat your ass into the ground. And head butt you and punch you in the balls just because.
LittleRed is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2012, 10:24 AM   #15
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

To see Marciano in the other corner means you have a relentless 2 fisted puncher and there were many but you also had someone that was fearless and there were a few, but Marciano also had great stamina and serious heart, there were a handful, If you knocked him down, cut him or hit him hard he would pick it up a notch and the thing that bothers you the most is it looked so easy on film, he looked so easy to hit, he looked awkward but a lot of it is part of his plan, Now you are in the ring with him and he is getting stronger each round and every-time he hits you it hurts, it looks like a tap but it hurts and this animal is looking to take my head off, like he did to Walcott, take my 4 front teeth out like he did to the (never before KO'd Layne)...Hammer me down like he did to Charles and Moore and those guys were among the most skilled...he seems humble on the outside but he is a ferocious beast in here....Scary
Bummy Davis is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum