Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 01-23-2008, 05:40 AM   #1
Polymath
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Do you think hatton is 'exciting'?

Look, I'm a full on Hatton 'hater' - but what I want to know is how do people seriously think he's 'exciting'? Leaping left hook, hold, Hook, hold. Hold hold hold. Spoil hook hold.

How do people get excited by this
Polymath is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2008, 06:08 AM   #2
TK Terrible
Tuff Little Unit
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Do you think hatton is 'exciting'?

Master of the Manchester School of Boxing
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

hold!, hold...hold...
TK Terrible is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2008, 07:20 AM   #3
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Collazo, Castillo, Tszyu etc were very exciting for me.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2008, 09:12 AM   #4
Smith
Monzon-like
ESB Addict

vCash: 484

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK Terrible
Master of the Manchester School of Boxing
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

hold!, hold...hold...
Smith is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2008, 05:07 PM   #5
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

When he was fighting over matched club fighters it was great action to watch. But it was abundantly clear to see he was leagues ahead of the guys he was fighting. Once he made the step up in class it then became even more clearer to see that Hatton has nothing to offer on a truly elite level. His famed stamina and pace are a thing of the past because of his lifestyle inbetween fights coupled with the step up in class. His power is above average but not the kind of power that would get an elite fighters respect. His volume punching is gone. His defense has more holes than swiss cheese and his vastly overrated. Of course in Britain we like to get behind our fighters.But from the very beginning it was clear that Witter had more class than Hatton.Was a far better puncher, better defensively and stylistically would cause Hatton huge problems. Hatton knows this. Thats why his avoided him all his career.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2008, 09:02 PM   #6
mrbassie
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I personally don't find him exiting to watch, the Witter rivalry has always been interesting and the build up for tszyu and Mayweather were v exciting but as for a lot of his actual fights....well...no. His whole career has been bullying around little lightweights, using a massive size advantage to exhaust his opponents while there was always very little in the way of clean punching or actual boxing skill. Hearns was exciting, Hagler was exciting, Toney is exciting, Hatton isn't in the same way Chuck Wepner wasn't.

Last edited by Prime Frazier DID beat Pr; 01-08-2007 at 05:04 PM.
mrbassie is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2008, 09:05 PM   #7
john b
EVERTON 0- OLdham 1
ESB Addict

vCash: 871

Sometimes he his sometimes he his not you can't always open up, my example being witter.
john b is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2008, 09:30 PM   #8
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings
.But from the very beginning it was clear that Witter had more class than Hatton.Was a far better puncher, better defensively and stylistically would cause Hatton huge problems. Hatton knows this. Thats why his avoided him all his career.
See, this is where I have to disagree with your good self. To me, Hatton has never been afraid of anyone, the very fact he thought he would go in there & hammer Mayweather tells me that Hatton would never have been scared to face Witter.
Which leads me to believe what? I dont know to be exact!

Maybe now after his tough fight with Collazo & his defeat to Mayweater Hattons lost his desire to fight awkward opponents, but not pre Mayweather. Im thinking that Hatton has always seen himself as 'above' Witter, & a few years ago that was the case. However, the tables have turned & its now Ricky on the outside looking in, & Rickys living in the past if he thinks he can pass on a WBC champ headlining fights on HBO, where Witter now stands.
Hatton is seriously misreading his fans if he thinks he can dodge Witter & get away with it. Its different days now, & Witter is now the man. No matter how hard it is for Ricky to accept this, hes gonna have to, & fast. His place as the most loved boxer in Britain wont last long if he doesnt wake up & smell the coffee, the nation demands this rivalry to be sorted once & for all, this year in a boxing ring.
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2008, 03:30 AM   #9
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings
Hatton has nothing to offer on a truly elite level.
Could you write anything more stupid Scur?

Tszyu, Castillo, Mayweather is what I would call mixing with true elites.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2008, 06:05 AM   #10
Polymath
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat

1. Do you think Castillo was anything other than completely shot?

2. What did Hatton offer exactly against Mayweather? Other than being brutally KTFO and beaten comprehensively at his own game. That's not 'mixing it', that's just being in the same ring.

3. KT was old and semi-retired, who's best wins were over Sharmba Mitchell and Zab Judah, but yes, he was still probably a good fighter. Even though Hatton had a very biased referee on his side, he did then for once 'mix-it' with someone who could be described as elite.

Most of the evidence suggests Hatton doesn't bring anything to the elite level - the ass-whupping he received from a B-level boxer in Collazo, the hold on for dear life showing against Urango and the KO from mayweather; these are hattons experiences with elite level prime fighters.
Polymath is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2008, 08:44 AM   #11
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat

Touche. Is Hatton better than a prime Castillo or Tsyzu? The jury rests.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2008, 08:53 AM   #12
Steve Fox
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Hatton would get his own chapter in the 'History of British boxing'. In the 'History of world boxing', he'll probably only get a mention in the Floyd Mayweather chapter.
Steve Fox is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2008, 09:01 AM   #13
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Fox
Hatton would get his own chapter in the 'History of British boxing'. In the 'History of world boxing', he'll probably only get a mention in the Floyd Mayweather chapter.
Like it and agree.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2008, 12:50 PM   #14
Polymath
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Fox
Good analogy...but I even think Hattons a bit better than that , or more important, at least for his money-making prowess.
Polymath is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2008, 01:06 PM   #15
steelem
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunky McCafferty
See, this is where I have to disagree with your good self. To me, Hatton has never been afraid of anyone, the very fact he thought he would go in there & hammer Mayweather tells me that Hatton would never have been scared to face Witter.
Which leads me to believe what? I dont know to be exact!

Maybe now after his tough fight with Collazo & his defeat to Mayweater Hattons lost his desire to fight awkward opponents, but not pre Mayweather. Im thinking that Hatton has always seen himself as 'above' Witter, & a few years ago that was the case. However, the tables have turned & its now Ricky on the outside looking in, & Rickys living in the past if he thinks he can pass on a WBC champ headlining fights on HBO, where Witter now stands.
Hatton is seriously misreading his fans if he thinks he can dodge Witter & get away with it. Its different days now, & Witter is now the man. No matter how hard it is for Ricky to accept this, hes gonna have to, & fast. His place as the most loved boxer in Britain wont last long if he doesnt wake up & smell the coffee, the nation demands this rivalry to be sorted once & for all, this year in a boxing ring.
well said dunky let hope hatton wakes up!!!
steelem is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum