Old 01-23-2008, 11:00 PM   #31
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Khan Vs St Clair RBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by daz52
Def a good post... I see what your saying but i believe Gairy has been in there when people said way too small eg the Corrales fight but has always comes thru and i beleiev he will take Khan in to the late stages and deeper waters... Hope its a good one and hope someone does the RBR for me
Thanks Daz52
Put it this way, if Gairy proves me wrong? I dont mind. I rate Khan very highly as a fighter & think he will go all the way in the sport, but Im not a true fan, as Im only a true fan of scottish fighters.

So I class myself as a neutral on these occasions, just posting my thoughts on how the fight will go. Its a good fight, & may the best man win. I would do a RBR, but Im not sure if I will be home, as I usually go round to my pals house to watch the boxing.
Im sure someone here will do it though, theyre a good bunch in here.
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2008, 04:37 AM   #32
dwilson

vCash:

In all honesty I do not see this fight going past four rounds. It will be another good performance from Khan beating another fighter who although is good is almost tailored for the young man.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:12 AM   #33
elle
Journeywoman
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat
So what if he has a height advantage. Thats part of his physical assets. This is the same sort of issue as people hating on DLH for being bigger. If they make the weight, they make the weight.

St Clair has fought at 135 quite early in his career. Check his record. The guys weight fluctuates.

Fact is, he is proven from 126 to 140. The man has survived class acts like Dorin, Harris, Baloyi etc He is a quality operator and compiled a nice record.

People just want to pick holes in Khans opponents. Khans path to the top has been perfect...

...other than facing no punchers or Thaxton. Those two things are inevitable though!

Be honest. Khans original opponent was bollocks but this one is good.
I'm not disputing the fact St Clair has dabbled in other weights in the past. You invited me to look at his record so I have - his last 10 fights over the past 3/4 years have mainly been at featherweight (6) or superfeatherweight (3) with the exception of his last one which was at lightweight.

I presume you mean by 'survived' opponents like Dorin, Harris & Baloyi that he didn't get KO'ed as he suffered back to back losses to the first two and although he originally beat Baloyi he subsequently lost in a rematch.

Its not that people just want to criticise Khan's opponents - the difference in weight/height is a reasonable observation to make and isn't made purely to discredit the vastly experienced St Clair.

I disagree however that Khan's path to the top has been perfect - almost but not quite. I suspect thats why his most memorable fight to date was against Limond.

Be honest you say? I have already stated twice in this thread that St Clair is a more decent opponent than the dane so on that we agree.
elle is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2008, 06:15 AM   #34
elle
Journeywoman
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronBull
khan is about 5ft 7.

khan is not 5′ 10″. boxrec is wrong.

If boxrec is wrong then it would appear so is Khan's fans site that YOU run.

Doesn't 1.78m = 5ft 10?
elle is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2008, 07:18 AM   #35
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle
I'm not disputing the fact St Clair has dabbled in other weights in the past. You invited me to look at his record so I have - his last 10 fights over the past 3/4 years have mainly been at featherweight (6) or superfeatherweight (3) with the exception of his last one which was at lightweight.

I presume you mean by 'survived' opponents like Dorin, Harris & Baloyi that he didn't get KO'ed as he suffered back to back losses to the first two and although he originally beat Baloyi he subsequently lost in a rematch.

Its not that people just want to criticise Khan's opponents - the difference in weight/height is a reasonable observation to make and isn't made purely to discredit the vastly experienced St Clair.

I disagree however that Khan's path to the top has been perfect - almost but not quite. I suspect thats why his most memorable fight to date was against Limond.

Be honest you say? I have already stated twice in this thread that St Clair is a more decent opponent than the dane so on that we agree.
We are talking about a man whose weight has fluctuated his whole career from 126 to 140. He is proven to be competent at all those weights. He is most proven at 130 due to being a champ there. That is only 5 pounds south of Khan and his last fight was at 135.

He survived Dorins accumulation attack and Harris punch power. That is proof that he can handle size. That is the point many are making. If you question his skills well beating Baloyi and being a champ isn't too shabby.

Khans road to the top has been great I think. In his past few fights he has fought Commonwealth champ, English champ, former domestic kingpin and now a former champ. He had 10 fights to wet his feet and he's been doing good since. No doubt hes been protected from punchers but his record is extremely good.

People shouldn't play the 'khan is too big size', he is a lightweight, end of.

GSC is better than the Dane, I'm happy. I think the Dane was an awful fight, especially considering he could fight Thaxton.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2008, 07:41 AM   #36
Ghoulie

Khan is good. interesting fight to see how good he is at this stage
Ghoulie is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2008, 08:13 AM   #37
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
If boxrec is wrong then it would appear so is Khan's fans site that YOU run.

Doesn't 1.78m = 5ft 10?
Khan is a 5ft 9 i reckon i'm a tiny bit taller then he is.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2008, 09:37 AM   #38
elle
Journeywoman
ESB Addict

Quote:
We are talking about a man whose weight has fluctuated his whole career from 126 to 140. He is proven to be competent at all those weights. He is most proven at 130 due to being a champ there. That is only 5 pounds south of Khan and his last fight was at 135.

He survived Dorins accumulation attack and Harris punch power. That is proof that he can handle size. That is the point many are making. If you question his skills well beating Baloyi and being a champ isn't too shabby.

Khans road to the top has been great I think. In his past few fights he has fought Commonwealth champ, English champ, former domestic kingpin and now a former champ. He had 10 fights to wet his feet and he's been doing good since. No doubt hes been protected from punchers but his record is extremely good.

People shouldn't play the 'khan is too big size', he is a lightweight, end of.

GSC is better than the Dane, I'm happy. I think the Dane was an awful fight, especially considering he could fight Thaxton.

I don't disagree that St Clair is a decent enough opponent for Khan at this stage.

Yes he has mixed with some quality but his record suggests he has a tendency to come up short against the most notable.

What I like about this match up is that we may see Khan get some more rounds under his belt as St Clair, although clearly past his peak, seems quite durable. He does come into this fight on the back of some poor recent results though which may be part of the reason ****** chose him as a stand in for the dane. ****** is not likely to put Khan in with anyone who he considers a threat yet judging by their original hand picked choice of opponent.

I think we will have to agree to disagree about the weight/height/reach advantage. I've watched some of the clips that have been posted of St Clair and he looks tiny to me. Also I recall Khan saying himself that he was struggling to make the weight just before the Lawton fight. If St Clair does not look diminutive compared to Khan come Feb 2nd I will be the first to admit it.
elle is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2008, 11:18 AM   #39
elle
Journeywoman
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff thomas
Khan is a 5ft 9 i reckon i'm a tiny bit taller then he is.

Boxrec have you down as 5ft 10 so that sounds about right!

Who are the trio in your current avatar Jeff?
elle is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2008, 12:21 PM   #40
faisal
Hoolios daddy
ESB Addict

vCash: 1167

Quote:
I don't disagree that St Clair is a decent enough opponent for Khan at this stage.

Yes he has mixed with some quality but his record suggests he has a tendency to come up short against the most notable.

What I like about this match up is that we may see Khan get some more rounds under his belt as St Clair, although clearly past his peak, seems quite durable. He does come into this fight on the back of some poor recent results though which may be part of the reason ****** chose him as a stand in for the dane. ****** is not likely to put Khan in with anyone who he considers a threat yet judging by their original hand picked choice of opponent.

I think we will have to agree to disagree about the weight/height/reach advantage. I've watched some of the clips that have been posted of St Clair and he looks tiny to me. Also I recall Khan saying himself that he was struggling to make the weight just before the Lawton fight. If St Clair does not look diminutive compared to Khan come Feb 2nd I will be the first to admit it.
elle he struggled to make weight in the lawton fight because he was observing ramadan, he was able to make weight without a problem in the earl fight
faisal is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2008, 12:36 PM   #41
elle
Journeywoman
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by faisal
elle he struggled to make weight in the lawton fight because he was observing ramadan, he was able to make weight without a problem in the earl fight

Apparently Khan opted not to observe ramadan fasting in the build up to that fight.

Quote from Khan article October 2007:

"It would be hard for me to do the fasting for Ramadan. From 5am to 7pm you are fasting and its hard to train during that period and keep your metabolism right so I can make the weight. My faith is everything to me and it has got me to where I am today but it was just too hard to do the fasting this time".
elle is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2008, 01:11 PM   #42
SevenSamurai
3 year ESB vet.
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

I will do a RBR on this fight for sure.

I think that although St Clair has fought a high calibre of opponents, and is a far superior fighter to the original choice who pulled out, that Khan is on another level.

This is a very good fight for Khan at this stage, but rest assured ****** does not match his prize asset against anyone who could smash his china. St Clair is not a big puncher, he cannot be, despite his better KO % compared to Khans previous opponents.

I expect Khan to take St Clair out inside 6-8 rounds.
SevenSamurai is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2008, 03:14 AM   #43
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Quote:

Agreed. I'm saying GSC is a quality opponent at this stage of his career.

I too like that GSC might give Khan some rounds for experience.

I agree Khan is a big guy for his weight but if he makes the weight, he makes the weight. I disagree that he is HUGE for is weight. Plus, I haven't heard him say he struggles to make weight. I don't think so anyway.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2008, 04:00 AM   #44
elle
Journeywoman
ESB Addict

Quote:
Agreed. I'm saying GSC is a quality opponent at this stage of his career.

I too like that GSC might give Khan some rounds for experience.

I agree Khan is a big guy for his weight but if he makes the weight, he makes the weight. I disagree that he is HUGE for is weight. Plus, I haven't heard him say he struggles to make weight. I don't think so anyway.

Just so there is no misunderstanding, I've never said Khan is huge at lightweight.

I clearly remember Khan saying he struggled to make the weight a couple of fights back (Lawton) as I posted about it at the time.
elle is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2008, 01:27 PM   #45
alpo1
Journeyman

Quote:
Just so there is no misunderstanding, I've never said Khan is huge at lightweight.

I clearly remember Khan saying he struggled to make the weight a couple of fights back (Lawton) as I posted about it at the time.
That was during Ramadan. He was fasting before that fight
alpo1 is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum