Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 08-08-2012, 06:40 AM   #1
afonso_alves
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default UK ESPN UFC rights

I remember a thread in early 2012 saying that ESPN's UK contract rights for UFC ends in August

Anyone got any idea if this is being extended by ESPN or any other broadcasting channel will be picking the UFC up?
afonso_alves is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2012, 06:42 AM   #2
Matty lll
Sweet Scientist
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: UK ESPN UFC rights

I ****ing hope it doesn't end in August.
Matty lll is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2012, 06:53 AM   #3
afonso_alves
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I only buy ESPN for the UFC which is 10er a month. supposed the bits of prem league and german and italian footy are a bonus.

but would much rather sky sports get it or even some other channel so i dont have to pay a 10er a month on top of the 85 i already pay for sky, internet and phone
afonso_alves is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2012, 07:10 AM   #4
196osh
Mendes Bros.
East Side Guru

vCash: 277

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

They renewed it.
196osh is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2012, 07:11 AM   #5
liger05
puroresu fan 4 life!!
ESB Addict

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Quote:
The Ultimate Fighting Championship, home of the greatest mixed martial artists on the planet, has signed a new broadcasting deal with ESPN, giving the channel the rights to all main live UFC events until August 2013.

Confirming its status as the home of the UFC, ESPN's extension of the existing contract guarantees that all major UFC events will be shown in the UK and Ireland for the next 12 months.

The agreement between the UFC and ESPN is for All American Pay-Per-View events and Fight Nights.

Fans will therefore witness all the significant moments as the likes of Jon Jones and Anderson Silva attempt to add to their cloak of invincibility over the next year, while the new generation - Rory MacDonald, Erick Silva and Co - bid to overhaul the old regime.

The new partnership will begin as early as Saturday August 4, with the first card to be featured under the new contract being UFC on Fox 4: Shogun vs Vera. The pair headline a card also featuring Lyoto Machida and Ryan Bader, as four light-heavyweights battle for the No. 1 contender spot.

The next 12 months promise to play host to some of the most blockbuster fights in UFC history. Can Britain's Michael Bisping finally book his middleweight title shot at Anderson Silva? Will pound-for-pound giant Georges St-Pierre be able to return from a career-threatening knee injury? Might anybody trash talk more impressively than Chael Sonnen?

ESPN televised more than 250 hours of UFC coverage and MMA-related programming in the past year, including the UK's only dedicated, regularly televised MMA news and informaton show: MMA Live.

The world's fastest growing sport also receives dedicated online coverage on ESPN.co.uk and ESPN.com, including the ESPN UFC Podcast.

News of the fresh agreement between the UFC and ESPN could not have come at a better time, with MMA's premier organisation set to head to the UK for a mega Nottingham event in September. Headlined by a heavyweight contender fight between Stefan Struve and Stipe Miocic, the card also features British stars Brad Pickett, Dan Hardy, John Hathaway, John Maguire and many many more.
Was this because UFC had nowhere else to go? Sky are not interested.
liger05 is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2012, 07:19 AM   #6
LHL
Captain Freedom
East Side VIP

vCash: 2835

Yeah seen they renewed it the other day. Couldn't see Sky going for it since they have cut their boxing budget way back. Add to that the ufc rarely have a card on at a decent hour over here. Glad ESPN took it on again.
LHL is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2012, 07:24 AM   #7
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Glad that ESPN renewed and supposedly all the FOX, FX and Fuel cards are part of the deal, so that's class.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2012, 07:29 AM   #8
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I really dont understand this considering ESPN's bashing of Zuffa fighters pay earlier in the year and Sky being an affiliated with Fox in the States. Thought a move to Sky would be a dead cert
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2012, 07:30 AM   #9
LHL
Captain Freedom
East Side VIP

Would like to have seen them picked up some of the Prelims again getting sick of facebook
LHL is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2012, 07:32 AM   #10
LHL
Captain Freedom
East Side VIP

Edit: Think that was for only when they started. Seem to remember reading something about it being so they could get more percent of premier league rights. Can't find much on it though. If I dreamed this up it was possibly the worst dream I ever had

Sky were close to taking them last time weren't they? Did they even show a show for free at one point?

Last edited by LHL; 08-08-2012 at 07:42 AM.
LHL is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2012, 07:39 AM   #11
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

**** knows then Probably all smoke and Mirrors to get around the media monopolies laws
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2012, 08:23 AM   #12
Lynchburg
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1449

Sky put a bid in but they wanted 6 PPV events per year at full price... I don't think anyone in the UK ould pay that much for it! That on top of the 21/month for sky sports would be a ****ing joke!

ESPN still have no rights for the Prelims though and it is only an extension for 1 year as far as I know!

SKY and PPV's are coming boys so be prepared for either rubbish illegal streams or shedding out mega bucks each year!

Lynchburg
Lynchburg is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2012, 08:32 AM   #13
Matty lll
Sweet Scientist
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynchburg View Post
Sky put a bid in but they wanted 6 PPV events per year at full price... I don't think anyone in the UK ould pay that much for it! That on top of the 21/month for sky sports would be a ****ing joke!

ESPN still have no rights for the Prelims though and it is only an extension for 1 year as far as I know!

SKY and PPV's are coming boys so be prepared for either rubbish illegal streams or shedding out mega bucks each year!

Lynchburg
I know which one I'll be doing if it comes to that
Matty lll is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2012, 08:37 AM   #14
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynchburg View Post
Sky put a bid in but they wanted 6 PPV events per year at full price...
Source?
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2012, 01:38 PM   #15
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Well done Espn, you gt yourself another year of my money!

I just hope it covers ALL the cards. I got pissed when Espn would miss cards.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum