Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 08-14-2012, 01:12 PM   #1
Bullet645

vCash: 500
Default Drills to get me started

Hey everybody..First of all I wanna say I love being on this forum and reading all of the great advice you fighters have to offer..My situation is I am going to start training within the next 3 months at a local gym, one of the coaches use to be a golden glove and fought Pernell Whitaker at the Vegas golden glove championship years ago..I am taking the 3 months befor I start so I can get back into shape, I use to be in really great shape cardio thru the roof, lifted weights etc and fell off when I started working and going thru everyday life after school. I have been on a heavybag for around 5 years, so I know I have picked up some bad habits I am sure but all in all for someone who has never trained I am told I have talent just need to be trained..I have decent footwork but as I said I am sure I have bad habits..I need some drills, and techniques to use while on the bag and shadowboxing to work on my footwork a lot since it is foundation..Ive hurd of using a tapeline and such but I want as much technique as possible..So there it is if any of you guys can school me some Id appreciate it a ton..I will upload videos sumtime next week but I need this, I am going to be aiming for amateur boxing as soon as I get enuff training in..
Bullet645 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
Arkanscott
Journeyman

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Drills to get me started

Look at the "sticky's" at the top of the forum. There is lots of good advice on there. I would also recommend that you start training now...don't wait 3 months...do it now. Here is the thing. If you wait until you "get in shape", who is to say that you'll actually get in shape...life happens. What if your classes (you say you're in school) get to much...what if your work gets to much...what if you go out drinking with your buddies and are too hung over to workout. I'll tell you what will happen, you'll keep pushing your start date back, and back and back...and then you won't do it. So, my advice to you is to get in the gym NOW.

I understand that you don't want to walk in and embarrass yourself, but understand that almost everybody walked into the first day at the gym out-of-shape. It's just part of it.

If you go in now and are honest with the coaches, "hey, I'm out of shape", they will ease you in slow. Generally speaking, coaches won't let you spar until you're ready (although some will throw you in the lions den just to see what you have)...if the coach is of the latter, just be honest and tell him you aren't ready yet.

The main reason start training now is that the whole thing snowballs...you workout at the gym, don't like gassing on the mitts when there is still time on the clock so you decide to do roadwork. You aren't as crisp in sparring so you decide to eat better, etc.

The point...START NOW. TODAY.
Arkanscott is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2012, 01:58 PM   #3
Kenwinn BC

Honestly I think you would be better off going to the boxing gym now rather than waiting three months to get in shape. Going to the boxing gym will get you in shape and thats an extra three months you could be training technique and getting rid of the bad habits you've developed.

Just my 2 cents. Plus alot of people use the getting in shape before I start training as an excuse I feel, not saying you are but I think your better off going to the boxing gym now and getting in shape from the gym.

edit: ^^beat me to it
Kenwinn BC is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2012, 02:02 PM   #4
Bullet645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkanscott View Post
Look at the "sticky's" at the top of the forum. There is lots of good advice on there. I would also recommend that you start training now...don't wait 3 months...do it now. Here is the thing. If you wait until you "get in shape", who is to say that you'll actually get in shape...life happens. What if your classes (you say you're in school) get to much...what if your work gets to much...what if you go out drinking with your buddies and are too hung over to workout. I'll tell you what will happen, you'll keep pushing your start date back, and back and back...and then you won't do it. So, my advice to you is to get in the gym NOW.

I understand that you don't want to walk in and embarrass yourself, but understand that almost everybody walked into the first day at the gym out-of-shape. It's just part of it.

If you go in now and are honest with the coaches, "hey, I'm out of shape", they will ease you in slow. Generally speaking, coaches won't let you spar until you're ready (although some will throw you in the lions den just to see what you have)...if the coach is of the latter, just be honest and tell him you aren't ready yet.

The main reason start training now is that the whole thing snowballs...you workout at the gym, don't like gassing on the mitts when there is still time on the clock so you decide to do roadwork. You aren't as crisp in sparring so you decide to eat better, etc.

The point...START NOW. TODAY.
I understand wat your saying..I plan on stopping by there this week, so I will talk with the trainers on price and such..I am serious about starting though, I know many people start and quit, but thats just not how I operate to say the least ..I am even focusing on getting my job to let me work evening shift or days instead of nights so I can be fresh when I go in to train..Money is a little tight right now too because the industry I work in and the economy. But for now I would like to work on some things befor I get my schedule changed etc..I know now is when it should be but you have to understand my job and the work I do to understand what I am saying in means of time..
Bullet645 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing