Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 01-24-2008, 07:45 PM   #31
stuistylee
j.c.chavez superstar
ESB Senior Member

Location: "always take the arrows in the forhead, never in the back"
vCash: 525
Default Re: Bernard Hopkins v Joe Calzaghe..

i hope bernard pulls it off...but if i had 2 put the house on 1 of em id hav2 go with joe...whos 4 the draw?..it is in the states...
stuistylee is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2008, 07:47 PM   #32
Dantes
ESB Magnate
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Calzaghe's going to win UD.
Dantes is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2008, 07:53 PM   #33
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Joe Calzaghe at this point in his career is faster then Hopkins both in the hands and feet, better from the outside, better from the inside, an all round better combination puncher who is more willing to trade at this stage of his career. Hopkins is always a tricky fighter though with all of his experience. I can see Hop going into his shell and using a lot of movement, making it a boring fight. Calzaghe UD.
MSTR is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2008, 08:00 PM   #34
Marcus
Champion
East Side Guru

Hopkins is sooo boring and dirty to watch, love to see him badly KOed, but i still think he has a great chance against Slappy.
Marcus is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2008, 10:00 PM   #35
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
Hopkins is sooo boring and dirty to watch, love to see him badly KOed, but i still think he has a great chance against Slappy.
Definitely not a fight for the casual fan. Will be very technical.
MSTR is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2008, 12:09 AM   #36
stiflers mum
Geale 4 life
East Side VIP

jan dk was far from the worst.that poster'the best'was the worst and hasnt been seen since nov 5.
stiflers mum is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2008, 12:29 AM   #37
ozziebattler
Shadow Boxer
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofo2
Hopkins brings strength to the fight,Joe brings good skill and fast hands.....I can only see the winner being Joe,he'll box him out of the ring....UD
You say strength for b-hop??

Havent seen him show any ko power for a long time.Cant say he has power when compared to other light heavies or super middles to be honest with you.
ozziebattler is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2008, 05:13 AM   #38
JOSEY WALES
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan(DK)
Was 100 % sure i was mistaken with somebody els - but now i understand, i just have to be responsible for everyone.
(if you read what i wrote - just to day - you will see that i stated before you that: "Calzaghe won convincingly, Kessler wasn't aggressive enough, Calzaghe is to busy for at re match")
"Engards"
Jan (DK) ,,,N0 you should be responsible or YOUR own words , not anyone else's , Something you seeded reluctant to be up until now , and even now i detect an under current in your posts that says ,The Crowd ,the Comentaters , the Judges were all swayed by Joe's punches that never connected , look Jan it simple you slagged Calzaghe off fo the best part of two years and when he beat Kessler fair and Square you were no where to be seen on the board where you were most vocal ,
JOSEY WALES is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2008, 05:33 AM   #39
JOSEY WALES
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecks
Yeah, I scored it 8 - 4 as well.
Competitive fight, but Calzaghe was the clear winner.

Kessler is a good fighter, and he'll bounce back. But deram's dreams of him being the GOAT (and he did make a thread in relation to that as well ) are long gone.
Pecks mate , G.O.A.T threads ? If you can i would enjoy reading that one ,Any chace of posting a link to it ? lol Regards Josey Wales
JOSEY WALES is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2008, 09:22 AM   #40
teke
Titans Time !!!
East Side Guru

vCash: 2611

Bernard is very strong at LHW, he may not have the one punch stop you in your tracks power but get in a clinch with him and that is where his strength lies. He may be known to get away with lots of stuff in the ring but ther ref is there to sort it out.

Joe isnt completely miss goody two shoes, his wild punches are known to land on the back of his opponents heads every now and then.

Its gonna be a interesting fight, the fact that most ppl think its going to be technical is basically saying it will more than likely going to be fought closer to Nards pace. I think that will suit Joe better because if he gets all uppety and overly busy throughout the entire fight he will no doubt walk into some of Nards power shots

"the best" was the worst by far, actually i think there is someone around here that i think is him

Last edited by teke; 01-25-2008 at 10:13 AM.
teke is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2008, 01:38 PM   #41
LeonMcS
The Mayor of Kronkton
East Side Guru

Originally posted by Jan (DK)
Quote:
Calzaghe won the rounds throwing more punches, was the aggressor and keep on coming forward even if he was hit clean, hard and by solid counter punching.
I thought he won the rounds by landing, not throwing more punches. Landing one or two 'solid' counters a round wont get you very far on the judges cards. I don't know your history that everyone here is going on about but it seems to me your tap dancing around the result that 99.9% of us saw.
LeonMcS is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2008, 02:55 PM   #42
pecks
East Side Guru

vCash: 1908

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan(DK)
Calzaghe won by 117-111- 116-112 - 116-112. I saw the bout 115 - 113 for Calzaghe. Kessler winning the 1, 4, 5, 8, and 12 round. (The 8 round was clearly a Kessler round, even thou he was badly heard late in the round/bot no counting).
If the fight was in US, and Kessler was replaced with Hopkins, how do think the score would be?.
116 - 112. I was watching it in a pub full of noise and we couldn't hear the commentary well, or the crowd on the tv, and both me and my friend scored it a 4 point margin to Calzaghe, and I was going for Kessler.

I don't think there was any bias with the scoring at all, you Dane's are used to getting assistance from the judges when you fight at home. Some of the scores on the undercard of the Kessler/Beyer fight was disgusting.
pecks is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2008, 11:13 PM   #43
THN
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 908

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecks

I don't think there was any bias with the scoring at all, you Dane's are used to getting assistance from the judges when you fight at home. Some of the scores on the undercard of the Kessler/Beyer fight was disgusting.
Indeed it was a disgrace
THN is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2008, 04:25 AM   #44
IrnBruMan
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1325

I haven't seen the fight since I saw it live but it was clearly a Calzaghe win, there was no disputing the fact that Calzaghe took over from about rd 6 onwards, and although Kessler fought bravely and never gave up, Calzaghe was running the show from rd 6 on.

What I loved about this fight was the fact that both fighters brought their best to the ring, there was no excuses to be made for not being 100% or being injured (I don't believe the reports of Kessler having a broken hand), it was on from bell one, and they both threw everything into it.

What I also loved about it (and it took a few rounds to realise it), was that Calzaghe was actually deliberately sticking his chin out there for Kessler to hit, so he could figure out what Kessler had, and nullify it.

Now, there may be plenty out there who say Calzaghe slaps/runs etc, but he put his chin out there and took some big ****ing shots from Kessler, and then figured out how to nullify those shots so Kessler couldn't succeed with them.

That to me is brilliance at work, someone who has enough faith in their chin to take some big bombs just so they can adapt their fight plan to deal with it and win.

And what else was brilliant was that Kessler was able to hang with Calzaghe for 12 rds (6 once JC had figured him out), so he can hold his head hight as far as I'm concerned.

IMO, it was the fight of the year for 2007.
IrnBruMan is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2008, 06:24 AM   #45
ozziebattler
Shadow Boxer
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttley
I haven't seen the fight since I saw it live but it was clearly a Calzaghe win, there was no disputing the fact that Calzaghe took over from about rd 6 onwards, and although Kessler fought bravely and never gave up, Calzaghe was running the show from rd 6 on.

What I loved about this fight was the fact that both fighters brought their best to the ring, there was no excuses to be made for not being 100% or being injured (I don't believe the reports of Kessler having a broken hand), it was on from bell one, and they both threw everything into it.

What I also loved about it (and it took a few rounds to realise it), was that Calzaghe was actually deliberately sticking his chin out there for Kessler to hit, so he could figure out what Kessler had, and nullify it.

Now, there may be plenty out there who say Calzaghe slaps/runs etc, but he put his chin out there and took some big ****ing shots from Kessler, and then figured out how to nullify those shots so Kessler couldn't succeed with them.

That to me is brilliance at work, someone who has enough faith in their chin to take some big bombs just so they can adapt their fight plan to deal with it and win.

And what else was brilliant was that Kessler was able to hang with Calzaghe for 12 rds (6 once JC had figured him out), so he can hold his head hight as far as I'm concerned.

IMO, it was the fight of the year for 2007.
If we are talking best ''SUPER FIGHT''(u know what i mean) then maybe your right.But in 2007 i seen atleast 5fights that was more exciting then the kess-calzaghe bout.

I would put the Pavlik vs Taylor bout above the kess-calzaghe bout.

And then i could put a handful of not so well known fights above the two fights mentioned in my post.
ozziebattler is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum